Chips identification (1 Viewer)

semsallem

Pair
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to know who made these chips and what would be the price? Many thanks!

Chips.png

Those are absolutely worthless and you should mail them all to me for disposal.

J/k They are "26 radial diamond" mold chips, aka diamond molds. One of the oldest molds still in use in some form. Started in 1933, sold by the Jack Todd company and manufactured by the Burt company. When the owner of Jack Todd was killed in a car crash his widow sold the company to Christy-Jones, who then sold the molds to Paulson. There are still radial diamonds made today but they are cheap injection mold chips called "super diamonds". General accepted value if about .30 per chip, maybe a little more if in perfect condition without stamps.

Seriously, if you are married to these, I'l like to buy them.

Those are clay Paulson diamond molds, so a very nice pickup. They look to be in great condition too. :tup:

Those are absolutely worthless and you should mail them all to me for disposal.

J/k They are "26 radial diamond" mold chips, aka diamond molds. One of the oldest molds still in use in some form. Started in 1933, sold by the Jack Todd company and manufactured by the Burt company. When the owner of Jack Todd was killed in a car crash his widow sold the company to Christy-Jones, who then sold the molds to Paulson. There are still radial diamonds made today but they are cheap injection mold chips called "super diamonds". General accepted value if about .30 per chip, maybe a little more if in perfect condition without stamps.

Seriously, if you are married to these, I'l like to buy them.
0.30 per chips is for cheap injection mold chips?
If they are clay chips, we agree they are the "old Paulson chips"? What would be the price for 1 rack of each. They are in great condition

Last edited:
0.30 per chips is for cheap injection mold chips?
If they are clay what, we agree they are the "old Paulson chips"? What would be the price for 1 rack of each. They are in great condition
no, 30 cents for clays. cheap plastics chips are worthless.

I disagree, minty Paulson diamond molds can fetch around $1/chip, potentially more in nicer colors. Burt diamond molds are more like $0.30 or less per chip.
How do you determine Burt from Paulson? Is it the size/closeness of the diamonds? Seems like the older chips have slightly smaller diamonds.

How do you determine Burt from Paulson? Is it the size/closeness of the diamonds? Seems like the older chips have slightly smaller diamonds.
The way I could tell with these is the marbling on the blue chip, which is something that I've only seen on Paulsons, TRKs, and BCCs, and then the edges are also sharper on mint Paulsons because they use a lathe rather than a grinder like Burt/ASM/CPC. There might be a difference in the mold, but I don't really pay attention to that.

Edit: Also, the colors on Paulsons are often brighter than Burt chips, though that wasn't clear on these.

The way I could tell with these is the marbling on the blue chip, which is something that I've only seen on Paulsons, TRKs, and BCCs, and then the edges are also sharper on mint Paulsons because they use a lathe rather than a grinder like Burt/ASM/CPC. There might be a difference in the mold, but I don't really pay attention to that.

Edit: Also, the colors on Paulsons are often brighter than Burt chips, though that wasn't clear on these.
I would have to disagree with the "sharp edge" interpretation. These are Burts and they are very crisp edges and smooth sides, certainly not the ground appearance I have seen on many Paulson THC chips. I do agree on the colors, those definitely changed with manufacturers. That "marbling" appearance is a good catch. I have seen that on "dry" paulsons, but not on the older chips I have looked at.

20210210_140530.jpg

I would have to disagree with the "sharp edge" interpretation. These are Burts and they are very crisp edges and smooth sides, certainly not the ground appearance I have seen on many Paulson THC chips.
There's a specific look I was referring to on Paulsons, see this for a more detailed explanation:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/el-rancho-tr-king-large-crowns-history.68100/#post-1372196
Older Burt chips can have very smooth edges, but it's still possible to tell between them if you look closely.

Here are a few pic's of what @GianThaMan is trying to explain. The blue "BH" chip is a Burt produced Jack Todd speed check. The CT stamped chips were made by Paulson in 1978 when they owned the mold. Things like color, hot stamp design and tooling marks on the chips are all clues to determine what you have. The BH chip is also slightly larger in diameter than the other chips.

dm.jpg
dm2.jpg
dm4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom