Chippies Go Abroad (1 Viewer)

Awesome info @cyril. And your (our now) chipping community is pretty strong!

I did just join the global/french forum, it will take me a bit to get going. Hopefully once my chips arrive and I’m able to decide what directions I’m going, I can put some chips up for locals at awesome prices.

I did just join the global/french forum, it will take me a bit to get going. Hopefully once my chips arrive and I’m able to decide what directions I’m going, I can put some chips up for locals at awesome prices.
This is a great news, i will refresh the ads pages every 5 minutes. :) Welcome in France !

Hurray for more chips in the EU! And
Welcome! I’ll be keeping an eye out for future sales threads ;)

No chips to be had yet. Received notice that our shipping container sat in New York until yesterday, tentative arrival date in French port of January 22nd.

Now, I have too many chips for never really hosting, but just the right amount of tables, 0 (gave em away, they weren’t worth shipping over). Since the house has a dungeon that will be used for nothing else, perhaps it’s time to finally look at some TChan custom tables...

8A033737-596B-42BF-8D44-4F9B9572730C.jpeg
F56F17BC-8E5D-4471-A885-DCD1373FC779.jpeg

E9F24148-8227-4D26-8B70-47E739148FBA.jpeg

Just stumbled across this thread. I thought you were moving to England then Denmark... Just shows you how much attention I pay to detail :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Glad the move is going well.

Just stumbled across this thread. I thought you were moving to England then Denmark... Just shows you how much attention I pay to detail :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Glad the move is going well.
That was the plan, her work jerked us around. Dropped us off here and literally said good luck.

Still just a couple hours away on the train for your meetup!

That’s a bit mad. Do either of you speak French or are you having to pick it up as you go? I’ve got some Pink Panther DVDs I can lend you if you need any help :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So far the meet up is me and you. It’s not looking good...

No French, but I have classes starting soon.

The only crazy part is her work is not legally allowed to help with anything. Once I speak just enough, I guess I can go in front of our local town hall, and then they’ll “look after us”. Don’t know what that means.

It’s only January! Plenty of time to convince people to drink, gamble, and shoot!

That’s mad her work can’t help you. Be difficult for you to get a job when you can’t speak the lingo. What do you do anyway? You never know there might people I know could throw some work your way.

I definitely appreciate that! I have both kids all day and then nap time and night am working on my software development with a team back in the US.

Looking to drop one of those, just not sure which yet.

I can hear my chips crying in my sleep. They yearn to be touched, to be seen again. All that’s here is the one set that needs selling.

France has been on strike. Like the country. As in teachers, firemen, drivers, conductors, cat whisperers, doctors, librarians, chimney sweepers, and more. It caused enough chaos, that literally almost every person I know stopped going into work, including my wife, because said chaos and traffic.

Of course that means docks are backed up beyond recognition. They’re not even accepting ships, so our furniture sat for days before being sent to Northern Belgium.

Sure it sucks that we haven’t had a real bed in over a month. Yeah yeah, my kids don’t have their toys and books. Those are all just things. But won’t they please just think of the got damn chips!

Belgium is local

DIBS ! ;)

And welcome to Europe

Ps. i'm sure I have some leverage with a unique rack of PCA hotstamped dimes @FordPickup92 :)

Last edited:
We finally have an update. Looks like we’re down to just ONE MORE WEEK!

In other news, looks like we’re getting hosed. Because my container (or the ship? Or whatever?) has had to wait (for them to get a truck to take my container to be seen by customs apparently?), our stuff will not be released until we pay an additional fee of....2,400+. Fml.

188297E7-8BFD-48CE-A3B8-42E725A5BE0C.jpeg

In other news, looks like we’re getting hosed. Because my container (or the ship? Or whatever?) has had to wait (for them to get a truck to take my container to be seen by customs apparently?), our stuff will not be released until we pay an additional fee of....2,400+. Fml.

View attachment 403501
It's a feature, not a bug. No different than ransom.

View attachment 403501
That doesn’t seem right. Speak to a lawyer.

That doesn’t seem right. Speak to a lawyer.
It's a feature, not a bug. No different than ransom.
I do not like being taken for a ride. My wife and I both grew up with little to no money, so adulting in much different circumstances now for us has been one expensive lesson after another that we weren’t ever taught or exposed to.

While I think this might be bullshit, and they do this to everyone who uses them (despite them already being a little costly), idk if maybe it’s real with ongoing strikes here. I’m guessing they usually do this a little, but took big advantage here of letting it sit. Not sure I can push back at all :tdown:

I do not like being taken for a ride. My wife and I both grew up with little to no money, so adulting in much different circumstances now for us has been one expensive lesson after another that we weren’t ever taught or exposed to.

While I think this might be bullshit, and they do this to everyone who uses them (despite them already being a little costly), idk if maybe it’s real with ongoing strikes here. I’m guessing they usually do this a little, but took big advantage here of letting it sit. Not sure I can push back at all :tdown:
Don’t pay it without getting a lawyer to check it over or speaking to the equivalent of a citizen’s advice centre. They’re trying it on and there’s no way you should be paying this.

Thank you to our EU chippers who have reached out. Doesn’t appear like the companies are too unscrupulous, but do seem to be wildly unprepared to do their jobs correctly. Hats off to port of Antwerp though, they don’t put up with bull.

Hoping against hope that the container arrives Wednesday, and that France also figures out documents and let’s us back in as well!

Not sure if I’m more excited to see some chippies or my wife is to sleep in a real bed again.

I keep this thread going only for my own sanity. Container didn’t come obviously. So back out come the kids toys, the air mattresses, etc.

Well just found out it’s coming at 8 am this morning (it’s 4 am now). I’m either gonna have one hell of a mail pr0n in four hours, or I’m hiring gopher and hornet to sue them, kifer to troll and possibly glitter bomb.

So some of you helped before and there's some French chippers here. Please let me know if this sounds strange and what we might be able to do.

We're leaving the country in 7 weeks to move back to the US.

This past weekend during the downpours, our sump pump went out. Flooded garage and basement. Some damages, including destroying furniture and a bunch we had still boxed up from the move.

Agent immobilier (rental company) is saying that the fault lies with us, as we were responsible for minor repairs and we should have noticed this the first day (we weren't going outside during the downpours, no reason to go to the basement). They say we are resonsible for all repairs.

Insurance company has already asked if there is a backup pump, and suggested that they will not be covering anything (house repairs or everything we lost) due to not having "reasonable precautions".

With us leaving in 7 weeks and everything shut down because of Covid, I don't know what options we have. We just started talking to both of those parties and it looks like we're stuck holding all bills? I figure it would be months before we can get a dispute started with the Commission Dept of Conciliation. Are we just screwed here?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom