Chipment theft!! (1 Viewer)

liftapint

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
i just watched in my home security camera, a guy try to steal 2 packages delivered with today’s mail (both contain chips).

My mailman delivered, and 90 seconds later, a hooded figure came down my front pathway towards the front door. Just by random luck, my partner was walking past a window and the hooded dude saw, and immediately turned around and left.

Scumbag.

I have about 8 chipments enroute to my house right now. Nervous for them. Package theft is not covered by USPS “insurance” either. I guess “signature required, restricted delivery” is the best bet. At an extra $6.35 (or there abouts) per delivery, sure puts a damper on smaller purchases. But less so than theft!!

SO annoying. Fingers crossed for my other incoming chipments. Bummed :(

i just watched in my home security camera, a guy try to steal 2 packages delivered with today’s mail (both contain chips).

My mailman delivered, and 90 seconds later, a hooded figure came down my front pathway towards the front door. Just by random luck, my partner was walking past a window and the hooded dude saw, and immediately turned around and left.

Scumbag.

I have about 8 chipments enroute to my house right now. Nervous for them. Package theft is not covered by USPS “insurance” either. I guess “signature required, restricted delivery” is the best bet. At an extra $6.35 (or there abouts) per delivery, sure puts a damper on smaller purchases. But less so than theft!!

SO annoying. Fingers crossed for my other incoming chipments. Bummed :(

I hope he didn't try to steal the ones I just sent to you :eek:. I live in a safe neighborhood but still believe in the deterrent of cameras. I have a nice PTZ with night vision and and about 6 other cams with night vision.

Now days signature required is almost becoming a necessity. Too many instances of package theft.

Like was said, might not hurt to file a police report with a copy of the footage.

You can always have them held at the PO and pick them up yourself. I know it's more of a hassle, but it doesn't cost another $6.35 either.

You can always have them held at the PO and pick them up yourself. I know it's more of a hassle, but it doesn't cost another $6.35 either.
How does one do that?

Ugh that sucks. Luckily you still have your chips.

Not a chip shipment, but one Christmas I had a delivery driver tell his friend to pick up a package of mine that was left out in front of my building. Had to chase the guy down the street, dripping wet from my shower, without shoes, and threaten to punch him in the face with my keys.

It worked lol

Search for USPS Delivery Instructions.

Holding chipments at the post office is also handy in summer.
And as Abby pointed out, you can do it for each individual package if you have the tracking number under the "Delivery Instructions" tab.

Anyone have a dropbox at their home?

I'm moving soon and have been considering one for front porch shipments/storage. Mel's post just reinforced my thought that I need to do something for package security. Are these things worth it? Anyone have experience with these things?

upload_2018-4-16_13-58-39.png

Yes, I'm beginning to think a PO box is the way to go. Does UPS/ Fedex deliver to PO boxes?

FedEx and UPS both let you re-route packages. You just have to have an account and know they are coming. I can hold UPS at the local sorting facility, and I can have FedEx sent to my local Walgreens or CVS (I forget which).

Anyone have a dropbox at their home?

I'm moving soon and have been considering one for front porch shipments/storage. Mel's post just reinforced my thought that I need to do something for package security. Are these things worth it? Anyone have experience with these things?

View attachment 167711

I feel like this is the future. A good entrepreneur could probably go door to door and sell these. With Amazon and various local classifieds people are constantly leaving money/goods outdoors.

Insurance only covers damage from USPS poor handling and if it goes missing while in USPS possession. (and from the stories I've heard, sometimes they still don't honor the insurance) Once scanned and left on your door step, its out of USPS hands if no signature was required. If someone steals it, its on you. Adding Signature required is the way to go. If insured for over a certain value, a signature is required automatically. Don't remember the amount off hand.

Sad that this is something we have to worry about. I installed some security cameras at the house at the new place after someone broke into my car in the middle of the night. Sure enough just last week I caught someone on the camera trying to break in again and this time I could give the police some video. The good news is the cameras also would help in the instance of package theft too. Won't replace em, but I'm not worried about tracking down any chips either if needed in this area.

I ask for signature on just about everything. After having a major electronics retailer use UPS and leave an expensive stereo on my front porch while I was at work a few years ago, I pretty much require it for anything I'm not willing to lose. And most chip deliveries (mfrb and smaller) fit in our supermailboxes anyways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom