Chip Storage Temperature (1 Viewer)

grantc54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Don't think this is an issue but would rather check than find out the hard way.

Is there any minimum temperature for storing chips? I keep some of mine in a shelf in the garage. It doesn't get that cold here but it can get to around minus 10 Celsius. I expect the garage wouldn't get much colder than 0 Celcius.

Thanks
Grant

I'm not sure what the consensus is here, but personally, I would never expose my chips to anything below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 5 Celsius).

I just wouldn't want my chips (and the adhesives in their formula) put in an environment where they'd be close to freezing temps.

I leave them in my house where it's always 70 degrees

I'm not sure what the consensus is here, but personally, I would never expose my chips to anything below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 5 Celsius).

I just wouldn't want my chips (and the adhesives in their formula) put in an environment where they'd be close to freezing temps.
Interesting thought.

Totally guessing here but to expand on Andrew's theory, I don't think I'd be as concerned about a given temperature as I would fluctuation. Why are potholes the worst towards the end of winter? It's the freeze-thaw, freeze-thaw cycles take place every day as the temperature crosses that magical 0/32 line, sometimes multiple times a day. Garages get a nice frosty blast as the door opens and closes so there's a lot of cycling in there too.

If my chips somehow found themselves in the garage on a really cold day they'd stay there until I could slowly warm them above freezing. The last thing I'd want to do is bring them into a room 80 degrees hotter loaded with far more humidity. The chips would probably be fine but that seems like it'd be asking for inlay pops as the different materials warm at different rates. They might handle it a few times but then have problems later on.

Your wife's 10,000 out-of-season shoes will do just fine in the garage in a sealed tub. Why take the chance with your chips?

Sounds spot on to me.
It sounds like some happy horseshit to me. I can go with it; it makes sense; but it reeks of speculations. I'd feel better hearing it from a chemist or an engineer or one of Pauls's sons.

Moved my chips with inlays inside. Currently I only have some Bud Jones, hotstamped, and chips with inlays removed in the garage and I don't expect temperature to drop below 6 Celsius in the garage in the next few weeks.

Grant

This brings back memories of a CT member that had chips left in his mailbox....in Arizona....In the dead of summer. Cant remember who that was though.

This brings back memories of a CT member that had chips left in his mailbox....in Arizona....In the dead of summer. Cant remember who that was though.

That sure didn't pan out well. Kinda fits with Abby's theory, I sure wouldn't want to be left in a box in the Arizona sun.

Yeah, I wouldn't think the cold would hurt them, but the humidity would. Especially if the labels are glued on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom