Chip Storage - Something durable (2 Viewers)

200 Motels

Flush
Reaction score
I lug my chips to and from games at least once a week and have yet to find something legitimately sturdy and secure to store my chips in.

I've used 500 chip aluminum cases. One has simply started falling apart with a sharp edge being revealed and another was stepped on and now has a huge foot sized sharp edged crack which caused the case to not close properly.

The birdcage is okay, however, I've had it in back seats of cars and have had either chips fall out of a rack, and once it actually tipped over. (the roads aren't the greatest here, and neither are the drivers)

So I'd like to find something that more sturdy and durable. Something that someone could step on and could be dropped and not pop open.

I feel like steel briefcases or a roadie case could be modified to hold chips. Are there any ghetto engineers that have an improvised storage option for chips?

Do some searches for Pelican cases. There are several members here and CT that have used a pelican case. Not sure which model number pelican case they use, but you'll find it by searching "pelican case."

I have a Pelican case and love it. Mine is designed to hold 1,000 chips, but that same case could easily hold 1,600, and maybe 2,000. It's very hard to be if the sturdiness of the case itself is an issue.

For 800 chips or less, I use (shooting) range bags. Range bags are designed to hold ammo, which is generally heavier than poker chips. There is plenty of room in the case for other stuff too. For that to work, you need 4x25 boxes (w/lids) instead of 5x20 racks, but I like carrying them that way. Because the range bags are soft sided, they are not in the same class of sturdiness as a Pelican case, but they aren't going to fall apart if that's the issue.

I also have a couple of aluminum cases (hold 650 or so). That's got to be close to the maximum that an aluminum case will hold without going a lot heavier duty than most I've seen. Some aluminum cases are just cheap and poorly made.

Last edited:
I have a Pelican case and love it. Mine is designed to hold 1,000 chips, but that same case could easily hold 1,600, and maybe 2,000. It's very hard to be if the sturdiness of the case itself is an issue.

For 800 chips or less, I use (shooting) range bags. Range bags are designed to hold ammo, which is generally heavier than poker chips. There is plenty of room in the case for other stuff too. For that to work, you need 4x25 boxes (w/lids) instead of 5x20 racks, but I like carrying them that way. Because the range bags are soft sided, they are not in the same class of sturdiness as a Pelican case, but they aren't going to fall apart if that's the issue.

I also have a couple of aluminum cases (hold 650 or so). That's got to be close to the maximum that an aluminum case will hold without going a lot heavier duty that most I've seen. Some aluminum cases are just cheap and poorly made.
Which model?

My Pelican case is the 1510 (rolling case) with the 1519 lid organizer. I have a Bulldog Range Bag (BD 900), and Midway USA bag -- I think it's their cheapest one -- less than $20. While either of those works well, I like the Bulldog a little better, but the Midway would hold a little more in chips.

I think we're overlooking the obvious solution of replacing the spare wheel with a custom chip carousel. I don't see any possible downside to that! Problem solved.

Except the heat. Mandatory re-routed exhaust system bumps the cost a bit.

I found a pic of a Pelican rifle case last week. Looked amazing. Great setup. I see the Plano gun cases are cheaper. I may look into those.

I don't travel with my chips much but a buddy of mine does and he uses the 600 count cages without issue. He drilled a very small hole in the center handle of the cage, as if he was going to make it lockable. Instead of a lock he uses one of those tiny carabiners you can find sold 10 bucks for a 6 pack. The only purpose is to keep the lid from popping off. It's in no way intended to provide security but it seems to work great and the hole is small enough that it didn't compromise the strength of the handle. I might be a bit leery doing that on a 1,000 count cage, but then again those make me nervous to begin with.

Do some searches for Pelican cases. There are several members here and CT that have used a pelican case. Not sure which model number pelican case they use, but you'll find it by searching "pelican case."

Interestingly enough...

If you use the SEARCH function here on "Pelican", you come up with several threads on THIS exact topic. :)

OR, you use the search function to search on "Chip Case" and it comes up with tons of awesome content like THIS

The search feature is awesome.

I do like the racks being laid out vs being stacked. Allows easy access to the barrels. Thats why I think the rifle cases may work well. The Pelican 1500 does hold 600 chips, but its a bit squishy and the case is expensive.

This Plano case is $62.

41dWXrAAqYL.jpg

The 1520 holds 6 racks comfortably.

The 1520 will hold 18 racks if you go 3 high on each rack, which it can do without an issue. Not saying I'd want to carry it when it weighed 50 pounds, but you could do it.

(got one over the weekend)

Here's some things to consider about a rifle case, though I think they would work great.

Appearance -- Since it looks like a rifle case, you might generate unwanted attention depending on where you carry it and who sees you carrying it. These days, that might not be good.

How you configure the chips inside -- It might be harder to maintain balance in that case.

For storage and in home use -- Great for storage, but unless you set it up on the floor, you might have to be concerned about a surface long enough to be a steady support underneath it.

Here's some things to consider about a rifle case, though I think they would work great.

Appearance -- Since it looks like a rifle case, you might generate unwanted attention depending on where you carry it and who sees you carrying it. These days, that might not be good.

How you configure the chips inside -- It might be harder to maintain balance in that case.

For storage and in home use -- Great for storage, but unless you set it up on the floor, you might have to be concerned about a surface long enough to be a steady support underneath it.

I was thinking that a rifle case would be a bad idea. Taking it to work on days where I head directly to the game might make others uneasy. A laptop case or a heavy duty briefcase might do the trick.

Those Pelican cases are nice but expensive. I'll have to look around pawn shops locally to see if they have anything comparable.

Other alternatives are Nanuk cases (https://www.hardcases.ca/collections/nanuk-cases) and Seahorse cases (http://www.seahorsecases.com/).

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of any of these (Pelican, etc). But I know that Pelicans and Seahorse cases are discussed and recommended on the motorcycle forums I visit, as these types of cases also work well as motorcycle luggage. They are quite tough.

I was also looking for a rugged case the perfect size for chips.

I've had good luck with road cases - the cases musicians use for their gear. They're made of plywood with a plastic laminate bonded to it. They're riveted and glued together with an aluminum extrusion "skeleton." They really are bulletproof.

I found a stock case that holds two racks stacked. Two racks with chips stand 3¾" high.

2 racks high.jpg

It's made by roadcasesusa dot com. It's called a mini briefcase. The inside dimensions, carpet to carpet, are 14 x 10 x 3¾. Perfect size for 800 chips with room left over for cards. Only $80 delivered. Their full-size briefcase is the same height inside and will hold even more chips.

case with chips.jpg

They come in a lot of different colors and ship in a few days. It also comes with a shoulder strap that snaps to the D-rings on the side.

case alone.jpg

Case label.jpg

Just throwing it out there.

Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom