Chip storage help (1 Viewer)

jpietrella

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Looking to pick up an Apache, Pelican, Nunuk case for a ~750-ish tournament set. I think I've seen that the Apache 4800 holds about 1400 chips, but wondering what the best option is for about 800 chips + room for extras (at least one setup, some buttons, etc.). Also - can anyone recommend a preference between the three brands or are they all of equal quality?

Looking to pick up an Apache, Pelican, Nunuk case for a ~750-ish tournament set. I think I've seen that the Apache 4800 holds about 1400 chips, but wondering what the best option is for about 800 chips + room for extras (at least one setup, some buttons, etc.). Also - can anyone recommend a preference between the three brands or are they all of equal quality?
Yes the next size down Apache case will work, the 3800 will hold 1000 chips or 800 + extras. We use the Apache cases from harbor freight since they're local and cost effective, both pelicans and nanuks are nice but more expensive. I think the nanuk offers some different color varieties. Apache offers yellow orange black olive green and tan/beige

I can't compare quality since I only have used Apache cases from Harbor Freight. I'm able to fit 800 43mm chips into an Apache 3800 with 2 setups and some buttons. I loved it when I used to play poker back when the world was normal :mad:

I can't compare quality since I only have used Apache cases from Harbor Freight. I'm able to fit 800 43mm chips into an Apache 3800 with 2 setups and some buttons. I loved it when I used to play poker back when the world was normal :mad:

Can you send a picture of that to me, that is what I am going to do when mine come in and would love a point of reference

thanks in advance

Can you send a picture of that to me, that is what I am going to do when mine come in and would love a point of reference

thanks in advance
Sure can! I'll post it here in a moment. I can't tell you how excited I am to go take a picture of poker chips and post it. It's the most exciting thing that I've done today!

Sure can! I'll post it here in a moment. I can't tell you how excited I am to go take a picture of poker chips and post it. It's the most exciting thing that I've done today!
Haha, this would be great! The 3800 looks kind of small to me for 800 chips, but that's probably just because I've never seen it in person with chips! Just realized there is a Harbor Freight only a few miles from me, so I may actually go grab one of these today. With the exception of mine being 39mm chips, it sounds like my space needs are similar to your setup - would love to see those pictures whenever you get a chance!

This is 800 43 mm China clay chips in an Apache 3800 case. There's one set up of cards and about 45 dealer buttons :).

I won't lie, it's a little hard to get the racks out with my fat fingers, but when I say a little hard I mean it only takes me like 2 seconds to jam my fingers in there and get the theh first rack out.

There's absolutely zero movement inside the case when it's closed.
PXL_20201112_151332551.jpg

PXL_20201112_151338593.jpg

PXL_20201112_151430266.jpg

as I suspected, they fit fine. But I don't know if I would be comfortable with this. With 39 mm chips there's way too much movement inside of a matsui. If you start carrying this case around they're going to be bouncing left and right inside of the racks.

The whole point of this case was to provide transportation. so if I put my 39 mm chips into normal racks the only pressure that they have is one row on top of the bottom row which I think is totally acceptable.

PXL_20201112_152939648.jpg

as I suspected, they fit fine. But I don't know if I would be comfortable with this. With 39 mm chips there's way too much movement inside of a matsui. If you start carrying this case around they're going to be bouncing left and right inside of the racks.

The whole point of this case was to provide transportation. so if I put my 39 mm chips into normal racks the only pressure that they have is one row on top of the bottom row which I think is totally acceptable.

View attachment 572497
Oh that's interesting. I was actually just about to order the Apache Poker Matsui rack duplicates for this, but you're saying there's too much movement in them for 39mm chips? I do need to travel with mine as well so this would be a concern for me too.

Another option is the Versa 1,000 chip birdcage style case. I have the 600 version and love it, because it stores them in their racks and doesn’t tip everything sideways when you lift the case by the handle. Also, this is long-term storage, so I’m not concerned with the foam deteriorating against the chips over time.
80D9CEE2-DBE2-46DE-B06A-4A192286E7BE.jpeg

E2F8D4DC-F8B9-4243-8CE8-7BF290B7EB67.jpeg

I’m sure the Apache style cases are better for a rougher handling, but I’m only occasionally transporting in my car.

Oh that's interesting. I was actually just about to order the Apache Poker Matsui rack duplicates for this, but you're saying there's too much movement in them for 39mm chips? I do need to travel with mine as well so this would be a concern for me too.
The Apache cases are supposedly supposed to be better about this type of thing because they have that extra ridge that's supposed to hold a 39 mm chip tighter. but we have to wait and see since no one actually has their hands on them.

The matsui racks are fantastic but I don't think I would ever put them inside of this type of case. With my 39 mm racks or my 43 mm racks, the phone puts pressure on the tops of the chips evenly and pushes down a little so that there's absolutely no movement. But there's only two rows of chips, so the overall weight and pressure is not extreme.

With the matsui racks the foam puts pressure on the rack top, which is fine, and holds the racks in place. But the chips inside of them move.

Another option is the Versa 1,000 chip birdcage style case. I have the 600 version and love it, because it stores them in their racks and doesn’t tip everything sideways when you lift the case by the handle. Also, this is long-term storage, so I’m not concerned with the foam deteriorating against the chips over time.
View attachment 572499
View attachment 572500
I’m sure the Apache style cases are better for a rougher handling, but I’m only occasionally transporting in my car.
I've got the Versa 600 and I think I definitely prefer my Apache cases over the versa. I find that the racks have too much movement inside of this case. Maybe it's because the foam degrades faster? But I got them basically at the same time.

View attachment 572497

My chips are 43mm, "so at least I have that going for me"(in my best Carl voice)

thanks so much for the help and pictures, and I am glad I could give you purpose today, and you were able to show off your beautiful CHIPS

I am hopeful my new set from the group by gets here before Christmas, I already have the case, the Plasti Spray and everything else, just not chips, and like you I cant wait to take pictures of them and flood PFC with my pictures

take a look at all the space around the racks. Yes it holds the racks down vertically but they still have shifting left and right while moving.

I put a couple of plaques in front of the racks to show how much empty room that there is for the racks to move.

16051954056405336030745464613521.jpg

My chips are 43mm, "so at least I have that going for me"(in my best Carl voice)

thanks so much for the help and pictures, and I am glad I could give you purpose today, and you were able to show off your beautiful CHIPS

I am hopeful my new set from the group by gets here before Christmas, I already have the case, the Plasti Spray and everything else, just not chips, and like you I cant wait to take pictures of them and flood PFC with my pictures
How do you use the Plastispray? Does Harbor Freight sell that as well?

Glad I could help. I think that if I had 43 mm ceramics I wouldn't have any problem putting them in matsui's into an Apache case. In fact I guess that goes for 39 mm ceramics as well even though they'll move a bit. But as for clay chips ... I think that the best bet for an Apache case is still a regular rack.

The matsui's fit really nicely into the Apache case. And they make it way easier to take them in and out. But again, the movement of the chips inside the rack is just too much for me.

How do you use the Plastispray? Does Harbor Freight sell that as well?
I think there's a post here on PCF that shows the process of how to use the plasty spray. I bought mine from home Depot. I don't think that harbor freight sells it.

But it's really stupid easy. Once you have your phone plucked and you have your layout finalized. You basically just take the foam out and spray it like you would spray paint anything. Let it dry, spray again, let it dry, and do this until you have the level of firmness that you want.

Haha, this would be great! The 3800 looks kind of small to me for 800 chips, but that's probably just because I've never seen it in person with chips! Just realized there is a Harbor Freight only a few miles from me, so I may actually go grab one of these today. With the exception of mine being 39mm chips, it sounds like my space needs are similar to your setup - would love to see those pictures whenever you get a chance!
And don't forget to go online and get your 20% coupon for Harbor Freight!!

https://go.harborfreight.com/coupons/2019/08/20-off-any-single-item-at-harbor-freight/

take a look at all the space around the racks. Yes it holds the racks down vertically but they still have shifting left and right while moving.

I put a couple of plaques in front of the racks to show how much empty room that there is for the racks to move.

View attachment 572501
True, I see the Versa case as a middle ground between the acrylic birdcage (good for transporting from closet to table) and the Apache case (tough enough to be checked luggage on a flight...but I wouldn’t!)

True, I see the Versa case as a middle ground between the acrylic birdcage (good for transporting from closet to table) and the Apache case (tough enough to be checked luggage on a flight...but I wouldn’t!)
Yes, totally. The Versa cases are quite stylish and if I was only going like 5-10 minutes, then sure, I'd rather them be in a Versa than a birdcage. I think it's also a matter of the racks and chips. If you're using Chipco thick-ass racks along with some nice minty Paulsons (or bike tires with some 3D3P spacers), then the rack tower sway probably wouldn't be so bad.

Found myself needing some additional storage for my now almost complete PCA set. At full strength, I expect this set to be about ~1,200 - 1,300 chips + 20 Matsui plaques + extras. I'm debating between breaking it up between (2) 3800s and filing a 5800. I do like to have some buffer foam around the edges so I'm leaning towards 5800, but I've never seen one of these in person. Is this overkill size-wise?

Anyone have any pictures of a 5800 filled? @BearMetal, @FordPickup92, @Colquhoun ?

Last edited:
Yeah I think so, I believe it's a 4800 but I can't remember which number it is
Yeah, looks like a 4800. If it doesn't have a retractable handle, I don't think it'll be a 5800. Doesn't look like there's space for a setup though, right? Looks like if I can keep it at 1,200 chips + plaques this may still work for some extra room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom