Not open for further replies.

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Both a need and an informational request:

What are the best racks for expensive chipsets? I bought some from Amazon and they don't even fit correctly. I bought these, and my Paulson Classics sit super loose on them.

Paulson chip racks?
Matsui for the 43MM?

Need a bunch!

Last edited:
Many people here, myself included, love the Matsui for reasons I won't get into here because there are too many to list. But the biggest complaint is that they are flimsy and the chips are loose. Since they are covered, I don't think it's a problem.

Chipco racks fit THC and RHC very snug and are super nice, but there have been concerns about long term stacking leading to marks. I think it's mostly debunked.

But, yeah, THC and RHC work great with chipco and Matsui

I have both Paulson and Chipco racks and much prefer the Chipco especially for mint Paulsons.

+1
I like the Chipco racks much better than the Paulsons.

edit: That said, I swapped out all of my racks to Matsui, because I prefer to let them slop around a little in the rack, rather than have the chips rest on each other.

Agreed with the Chipco. Mint Paulsons feel too tight in Paulson racks. Many swear by the Matsui racks. Personally they feel too fragile for me and their stacking method can be annoying at times.

I just picked up some Paulson and Chipco and will probably opt for the chipco... no real difference in my mind to justify the extra $$

I prefer the Paulson racks (24010) but the Chipcos are a close second. Mint Paulsons are tight in the racks, but they're supposed to be tight in the racks. (If they're too tight, wipe the dust off the chips. That will actually make a difference!) And as soon as the chips are even very slightly used, they will fit perfectly.

The key is to make sure you have the right size rack for the chips. Paulsons need 66.7 mm barrels. However I don't much like the racks with "66.7" stamped in the bottom -- they fit the chips nicely, but don't stack very well on each other. The bottom part of the rack needs to be sliiiiiiiightly wider to fit better. They work great for slightly-more-used Paulsons, though.

For ASM/CPC chips you want 67.7 mm racks, which are best obtained from @dennis63 (Key West vendor here, pretty sure he still sells those racks.)

I don't like Matsui racks because they are too loose and noisy. The only benefits are that the same rack can be used for 43 mm chips as for 39 mm, and they fit in birdcages (allegedly, haven't tried or checked for myself.) I'd rather have my 43 mm chips in 43 mm racks, even if that means they don't fit in birdcages. For those I like the ones from ABC.

As you have discovered, the cheap racks from Amazon are generally way too big for Paulsons. They're what you need for china-clay chips like Majestics, Milano, CPS, etc, though.

Chipco racks fit THC and RHC very snug and are super nice, but there have been concerns about long term stacking leading to marks. I think it's mostly debunked.
Marks on the outer chip faces of each barrel (i.e. on the faces of the 1st and 20th chips of each barrel, like rack check marks)??

Marks on the outer chip faces of each barrel (i.e. on the faces of the 1st and 20th chips of each barrel, like rack check marks)??
No there were concerns of marks on the edges. I had started a thread about this, but overall the consensus was that properly fitting racks should not cause marks/depressions on any part of the chip

No there were concerns of marks on the edges. I had started a thread about this, but overall the consensus was that properly fitting racks should not cause marks/depressions on any part of the chip
Oh, so more about stacking racks on top of each other and effecting the chip edges underneath

Both ChipCo and Paulson 24010 racks are great.

For my "pure" Paulson sets, I use the Paulson racks.

For my "mixed" sets (like BOLO which can have a mix of clay, ceramic, and plastic), I use the ChipCo racks because barrel lengths among different manufacturers and chip materials can vary. To me, the ChipCo racks seem sturdier, too.

Chipco racks are great, I have Paulson Classics and BRPro ceramics and they both fit perfect. One thing to note, I found that brand new Chipco racks often have a small amount of flash from the injection molding that makes the first chip stand proud of the others, usually just on one end. I just trimmed it with a sharp x-acto. The flash is right where the small rings are:
3F23D1EC-654D-4260-B171-8E6FFA5D3B76.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom