Chip denoms and psychology (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So my wife and I had a couple of friends over to play .05/.05 NLHE last night. Buy is $5 which gets you 20 nickels and 16 quarters.

Typically the nickels only see play during preflop and flop if the pot is small. Last night our friends were consistently using nickels to make .25 bets or greater, trying to hold on to their quarters as chips, but still making the same bet size.

I was able to use betting my quarters to run them out of several pots or use my own nickels to keep them in the pot until the showdown if I had a good hand.

Anyone else ever had this kind of experience?

Many people (usually more inexperienced players) don't bet their highest denoms unless they have a strong hand. I pay attention to this all the time and use it to make calls/folds. Classic tell that if people bet with all low denoms, often times it exudes weakness (bluff, draw, etc). Your scenario certainly seems to illustrate this.

Reactions: Nex
^this
In my particular case though, I'm both clumsy and lazy, so I tend to bet with the fewest number of chips possible

Many people (usually more inexperienced players) don't bet their highest denoms unless they have a strong hand. I pay attention to this all the time and use it to make calls/folds. Classic tell that if people bet with all low denoms, often times it exudes weakness (bluff, draw, etc). Your scenario certainly seems to illustrate this.

This is the first time I have noticed it, but will definitely watch in the future.

This is the first time I have noticed it, but will definitely watch in the future.

With $5 buy ins, you'll easily pay for a trip to Vegas in no time! :).

But in all seriousness, good catch on the betting tell.

With $5 buy ins, you'll easily pay for a trip to Vegas in no time! :).

But in all seriousness, good catch on the betting tell.

Hey, we are poor folks! I mention playing .25 blinds and people look at me like I've lost my mind.

That being said, I wish we had been playing for high stakes. We played about four hours and walked away with $11.75. Would have been nice to have doubled up with .25 or .50 blinds.

Oh, well. Maybe one day.

Hey, we are poor folks! I mention playing .25 blinds and people look at me like I've lost my mind.

That being said, I wish we had been playing for high stakes. We played about four hours and walked away with $11.75. Would have been nice to have doubled up with .25 or .50 blinds.

Oh, well. Maybe one day.

I totally understand. I have some neighbors that host, with $20 entry donkfests. I typically play much more social, and should I lose, I consider the $20 as a donation for the food etc... I normally break even.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom