Chip Denominations (1 Viewer)

TheGeneral

Reaction score
Hi I’m new here and was wondering if my chip set was appropriate for a big tournament. The denominations are 1,5,10,25,50. What should I do about blind structures and starting stack considering I only have one set of around 300 chips and all the information on starting stacks use chips with different denominations. Should I invest in a new set all together? Thanks.

These denoms are not efficient. On average, count on 300-350 chips per table of 10. Most people are using T25 or T100 base these days, but you can structure it however you wish.

Efficiency doesn't matter if you already have the chips. An efficient breakdown of denominations is good to use when you're purchasing a new set, because it allows you to buy the fewest number of chips necessary to run an enjoyable game, which allows you to spend your budget on better chips rather than more chips.

You can absolutely run a tournament of some sort using the chips you have, but you'll have to get creative about starting stacks and color ups. Others could do a better job of suggesting a structure than I could. If it's "a big tournament" as you mention you might not have enough chips.

Only you can decide whether you should invest in a new set. You'll have to see how well you enjoy playing with the set you have; it might work fine, or it might severely get on your or your players' nerves. And there's plenty of reasons to upgrade to a new set besides just getting a different breakdown. Newer sets might be nicer than the chips you have, and that alone could be worth the cost.

You'll get better advice if you tell us:
  • What the full breakdown is - how many of each denom do you have?
  • How many players are you expecting to have play in your tournament?
  • What kind of chips are you using now? If you're not sure, you can post a picture and we'll tell you.
  • What kind of budget do you have in mind for possibly buying a new set?
Welcome to the forum!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom