Chip cleaning in the UK! (1 Viewer)

phcjpp

Two Pair
Reaction score
(London) + Shipping to Portland, Oregon, USA
Hi All,

I thought I would make this post as I had struggled to get the right ingredients in the UK and took a slightly different approach (not that different to be honest).

The ultrasonic cleaner I chose was this 6L one from CGOLDENWALL. It is available in the UK on Amazon. Runs up to 40kHz with 70-180W of power and has an inbuilt heater that does 20-80 deg C so more than enough power and heat! It also has a drain which is really handy.

Photo 11-10-2020, 12 37 45.jpg

First thing I learned was to use distilled water.

Photo 11-10-2020, 12 37 59.jpg

I simply could not get the chips to clean well without it - maybe something to do with the quality of London water!

I cannot get the TSP that everyone uses in the UK so I went with some general purpose Ultrasonic cleaner in a ratio 8:1 (water to cleaner).

Photo 11-10-2020, 12 37 53.jpg

I constructed a basket in the usual way by buying a salad spinner from amazon. I also purchased a cheap long metal screwdriver and chopped the head off to make a spindle. I super glued metal washers do the basket was held onto the spindle. I also super glued a drill screw bit onto the ex-screwdriver so the barrel can be driven if you are feeling lazy!

Photo 11-10-2020, 12 38 08.jpg
Photo 11-10-2020, 12 38 19.jpg

That is pretty much all there was to it. I set the temp to about 40C following suggestions on this forum and then at max power (180W) used 1min for soiled Paulsons and 40secs for less soiled ones. I was simply staggered how well this cleaned up some really messy chips - just blew me away if I am honest. Imagine the dirtiest chip you can and now picture it minty clean - you get the idea. After cleaning I oiled the chips in the usual way.

Photo 11-10-2020, 12 51 39.jpg

And here are some of the results. These were actually in not bad condition to start with so only got a light cleaning.

Photo 11-10-2020, 13 12 52.jpg

The ones yesterday were really bad and all came out great!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

and the result ...

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

And lastly a little video!

Chris

Last edited:
Awesome results, fair play! I've always loved those yellow FLVs — let me know if you're ever looking to get rid of a barrel. Subscribed to your YouTube, BTW (Chips and a Chair)!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom