Chip cabinet construction thread (1 Viewer)

XBobdog

Flush
Reaction score
I have too many chips to store appropriately. Instead of selling chips, I decided to build a big, new storage cabinet for the chips.

This is what I aim to replace.
IMG_1273.jpg

I want to have an open, bottom area for the chip cases, but make the top a series of drawers to hold large, custom chips trays. 4 X 1000 chips and 3 X 600 chips is my plan.

looking something like this "technical" draw up I made.
IMG_1272.jpg

This was the original drawing, I have since put the small drawers above the larger drawers.

Next installment: The Trays

I have too many chips to store appropriately. Instead of selling chips, I decided to build a big, new storage cabinet for the chips.

This is what I aim to replace.
View attachment 185990

I want to have an open, bottom area for the chip cases, but make the top a series of drawers to hold large, custom chips trays. 4 X 1000 chips and 3 X 600 chips is my plan.

looking something like this "technical" draw up I made.
View attachment 185991

This was the original drawing, I have since put the small drawers above the larger drawers.

Next installment: The Trays
Needs a cash drop box.

Hopefully, one of the drawers is for cards, buttons, cut cards and other sundries.

I began the process of building the cabinet about 6 months ago and sort of reverse engineered around the chip trays. I wanted easily removable, solid trays, with both a display quality and functional.

This was difficult.

It took me a few tries and a lot of saw dust to finally settle on using a 1 5/8 cove bit on a router to cut the grooves in solid poplar and then trim the sides to fit. (Thanks to @T_Chan for the sourcing advice on the cove bit.)
The first tray I managed to complete looked like this.

img_1238-jpg.156126

Not too bad, but it turns out that the handles, although useful, force the drawers to be too large to fit.

So I went back to the drawing board and routed handles out of the bottoms to give you something to grab.
IMG_1190.jpg

Voila, 6 trays. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to groove slots for oversized chips until half-way through. I made 1 tray with 1 x 1 3/4 slot which will probably store my oversized Horseshoe secondary set (I don't have greater then 100 of the high denoms of that set)

fricken awesome bro, how many chips does each slot hold?

love the tonkawas btw

Thanks.
Each slot is 100 chips

I don't have enough oversized AS chips...:(. I may make a 600 chip tray with a slot for large chips in the future and sneak them in there.

oddly, after finishing the cabinet. I suddenly feel like I have enough chips.. maybe too many. Never felt THAT before.

except Tonkawas, I clearly need another rack of $5's to fill the entire tray.(y) :thumbsup:

It took me a few tries and a lot of saw dust to finally settle on using a 1 5/8 cove bit on a router to cut the grooves in solid poplar and then trim the sides to fit. (Thanks to @T_Chan for the sourcing advice on the cove bit.)
Could you share the cove bit source? I would like to make some chip trays myself and was going to use the forstner bit method but router would be much easier.

Could you share the cove bit source? I would like to make some chip trays myself and was going to use the forstner bit method but router would be much easier.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_core.html

I tried the foster bit route first. But with the long drill lengths, there ends up being drift and the slots don't end up parallel.

When you route, there will be tear out, so i cut the blanks about an inch longer, trimmed up with table saw and glued a 1/2 poplar strip on to complete.

Also, using poplar, I found it better to route across the grain. With the grain will sometimes splinter big chunks of wood off of the between chip divider. different woods may have different results.

Hope that saves you some time.

Looks great! Any possible tipping issues with the top drawers loaded and fully extended?

I began the process of building the cabinet about 6 months ago and sort of reverse engineered around the chip trays. I wanted easily removable, solid trays, with both a display quality and functional.

This was difficult.

The first tray I managed to complete looked like this.

img_1238-jpg.156126

Not too bad, but it turns out that the handles, although useful, force the drawers to be too large to fit.

So I went back to the drawing board and routed handles out of the bottoms to give you something to grab.
View attachment 186014

Voila, 6 trays. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to groove slots for oversized chips until half-way through. I made 1 tray with 1 x 1 3/4 slot which will probably store my oversized Horseshoe secondary set (I don't have greater then 100 of the high denoms of that set)
Awesome! Amazing woodworking working skills!!!

Looks great! Any possible tipping issues with the top drawers loaded and fully extended?

No. It's 22 inches deep. made out of solid 1inch walnut. Even the drawer sides are 7/8 inch maple. It is heavy, and unmovable. (and used up lumber that I had for >15 years) Drawer slides and knobs were the only thing I had to purchase. Actually, if you look carefully, you see that one of the drawers is made of walnut, one of pine and the rest maple. I ran out of maple and just wanted to use up the stock I had. Sort of a character mark of the piece.

The biggest issue I had to deal with was the original plan did not have that center support. I envisioned on open concept. It became clear, even with out chips, that there was going to be some sag in the middle.

Last edited:
Really an amazing job, milling the chip site is always the critical point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom