China Clay Smell - Can it be fixed? (2 Viewers)

atrachs

Pair
Reaction score
Is there any advice for making my china clays smell less? Will oiling them help the smell? Its not bad but a good wiff now and then is not pleasing.

Thanks!

My Royals were a little funky when they arrived. Since then, I've cleaned them with some very mild soap/water (mostly to remove dust) and then given them an oiling. After a year, they don't smell very much anymore, but they still don't smell like nothing.

Good to know. Also got a sample of Royals, how are they holding up after a year? Really liked the larger size...
I have nearly 10,000 chips. The only China Clay set I have is the Royals. I love them that much. The first thing that drew me in was their size; 43mm is just so awesome. But they've held up so far. My personal Royals only saw about 10 games before COVID.

However, I purchased a custom set as a heads-up-drinking-game-gift for my friend and those have been through probably 100 games with the majority of chips being felted every game. They've held up GREAT!

When it comes to Milanos, the answer is NO. They 'll never cease to stink (I 've sprayed them with a rather expensive perfume, to my partner's outrage, still to no avail). :)
Majestics didn't really smell. Very decent chips.
I have no experience with any other CCs.

If I hold my Milano Crazy Horse to my nose and only when that close I can smell the a bit more pungent plastic material smell. None of the other chips on this table (below) have the same odor....again this is the last time I will likely be putting my nose down to the chips on the table lol....
If you have a very sensitive nose you could possibly notice this, After owning my set for a couple years any smell is long gone unless you put the chips close to your face.
When I first got them and was opening the rolls I remember the chips smelling like Chinese surplus ammunition (which is divine, lol) but after living in a wooden box in old bud jones trays the chips have aired out.

ErTgIw9.jpg

Sounds like these are similar to vulcanized rubber like gym mats.

When I put together my home gym and bought a rubber mat I had to leave it outdoors for a couple of weeks for the VOCs to off gas.

Maybe leave them out in the open in your garage for a few weeks.

plastic off-gassing.
Cool. I hadn't heard that term before. But I found more information online.
"PVC, or Polyvinyl chloride, is one of the best known plastics for its odour. These outgassing odours are most noticeable with new PVC products, but they diminish over time. For example, a shower curtain made with PVC can outgas for a month or longer and high temperature and humidity tend to speed up the process."

I once had a set of Pharaoh china clays that I kept in a flat case, and there was a slight smell when I opened the case they were stored in. But once the chips were out in the open for a while, the smell seemed to dissipate. I had an idea that I never got around to, but I wondered if it would have helped to put them outside, spread out flat on a table (leaving most surface exposed to air), and airing them out for like 6-8 hours, and wondered if that would help get rid of the smell.

Cool. I hadn't heard that term before. But I found more information online.
"PVC, or Polyvinyl chloride, is one of the best known plastics for its odour. These outgassing odours are most noticeable with new PVC products, but they diminish over time. For example, a shower curtain made with PVC can outgas for a month or longer and high temperature and humidity tend to speed up the process."

I once had a set of Pharaoh china clays that I kept in a flat case, and there was a slight smell when I opened the case they were stored in. But once the chips were out in the open for a while, the smell seemed to dissipate. I had an idea that I never got around to, but I wondered if it would have helped to put them outside, spread out flat on a table (leaving most surface exposed to air), and airing them out for like 6-8 hours, and wondered if that would help get rid of the smell.
The thing about off-gassing, is that it’s difficult to speed the process...just leaving them out won’t make it “evaporate” or dissipate faster. True, heat can accelerate the process, but time is the biggest factor in it smelling better.

If I hold my Milano Crazy Horse to my nose and only when that close I can smell the a bit more pungent plastic material smell. None of the other chips on this table (below) have the same odor....again this is the last time I will likely be putting my nose down to the chips on the table lol....
If you have a very sensitive nose you could possibly notice this, After owning my set for a couple years any smell is long gone unless you put the chips close to your face.
When I first got them and was opening the rolls I remember the chips smelling like Chinese surplus ammunition (which is divine, lol) but after living in a wooden box in old bud jones trays the chips have aired out.

ErTgIw9.jpg
Very nice collection right there sir!

The only thing that will speed up the process of off-gassing is heat, and I dont recommend heating poker chips. They just need time.

I bought those WSOP replica China clays a few years ago when I became active in chipping again. The only way I could get the smell to go away was by selling the chips. I replaced them with Paulsons which have a much more enjoyable scent.

I bought those WSOP replica China clays a few years ago when I became active in chipping again. The only way I could get the smell to go away was by selling the chips. I replaced them with Paulsons which have a much more enjoyable scent.
Yup. Same here with Milanos. I had to move house as well :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I pulled out my Milanos to give to a friend and they still stunk very bad. Some had even faded badly but the smell stuck. I wouldn't go near china clays again due to this, and really, with the cards mold chips should anyone need to?

Just bought the oversized Royal card room chips, they don't really smell hmmm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom