Checklist/Wishlist for Hosting (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
New here but I am close to hosting my first home game in 10 years. I’ve been acquiring items for several months and the opening game will likely be a 2 table 20 person max tourney with a cash game beginning as soon as one table is clear.

I have looked on here for a checklist/wishlist for items that one would need and since finding none I thought I might begin to mark down the things I have and things I would like to have as the game progresses.
  • Table(in my case 2)
  • Chairs(20 mixed leather highbacks)
  • Chips
    • Tourney(Nevada Jack Skulls)
    • Cash(Paulson Mixed Set)
  • Players @LotsOfChips but I believe in the "If you build it they will come." theory.
  • Cards(@desjgn per @Dodger )
  • Cut cards @CraigT78
  • Dealer Buttons
  • Bounty(my plan is to have the players bring something of their own) ball mark, coin, card protector)
  • Poker Tourney Application
    • Blinds Up, ROKU App, Tournament Director
  • White board or Neon Board
    • Payouts
    • High Hand
    • Bad Beat
  • Rules - Copy of Robert's Rules of Poker. (I have 3 additional sets.)
    • General house and poker
    • Tourney specific
    • Cash specific
  • Cash Holder/manager(not sure)
  • Fridge/cooler @CraigT78
  • Snacks/food/drinks
  • Paper towels/rags(for the inevitable mishap) @BGinGA
  • Slow cooker with oven bags @Rhodeman77
  • Communication/Invite tool/app.
  • Hand sanitizer @cosmokramer
  • Music with TV on mute(we are all big sports fans and probably play on Sundays; although it may slow the game down I couldnt imagine not having a game on) @Rhodeman77
Wishlist
  • Wall decor
  • Dedicated Dealer
  • Gassers
  • Better cards
  • More chips of course
  • Better organization (structure,blinds)
  • Supper/Meal
  • Hotdog Roller @navels
  • Supportive wife @asian bino
  • Coffee pot @CraigT78
  • Beer Taps @CraigT78
  • 3rd Table Topper (cheap) mine could possibly replace the snack table for an hour or so. @Darson
  • Drink carts/side tables @Rhodeman77
  • Seat Tokens for seat placement @markleteenie
  • Plaques for Mixed games(we only play NLTH) @markleteenie
  • Ashtrays @1A25R
What am I missing? What would you do different?

Last edited:
Coffee pot.

Fridge/coolers for guys who BOYB

Cash box/bag - bank type bag or cigar box

cut cards

I would have a 3rd table or a topper you can put on a temp table - no way people will stick around long enough for 10 to bust out before they get to play again. Cash game can start when 3 or 4 have busted.

And if you want 20 then invite 25-30 as many will drop out.

no way people will stick around long enough for 10 to bust out before they get to play again
FALSE. I haven't had a home game yet where we didn't get 2 tables of cash going once the first, and final tables broke. Although the suggestion of a third or table topper is fantastic, don't underestimate the power of degen.

FALSE. I haven't had a home game yet where we didn't get 2 tables of cash going once the first, and final tables broke. Although the suggestion of a third or table topper is fantastic, don't underestimate the power of degen.
Clearly I need to find more degen friends then. Mine all disappear...

Bounty(my plan is to have the players bring something of their own) ball mark, coin, card protector)
For Bounties, if they are something like $5 or $10, then a lot of members use their cash chips as bounties. Plus you definitely want something that stacks, for when someone has 4-5 bounties they don't have a variety of odd objects cluttering up their playing space.

Seat Tokens: Potentially someway to draw for seats. There are lots of sweet seat tokens, or CARDOMINOS etc. Obviously can use poker cards too.
I have a timer in my cash game and we do randomly set times for bomb pots.

Mixed Game Plaques: If you like to do mixed games, a set of plaques or at least a list to choose from is good.
HI/LO button: Also a HI/LO button if you do mixed games.

Good music playlist/stereo. Avoid TV’s if you can. They slow down play too much.

Drink carts/side tables.

If you want a cash game to happen don’t have rebuys or add-ons. Use a fairly fast structure that will get several bust outs within a level or two to get the cash game some players.

I bought a 3 part slow cooker. It is great for keeping cheese sauce, chili, etc hot for the hot dogs or nachos or anything else you want to put in it. $30 at Sam’s Club.

Use oven bags to line the pots and it makes clean up much easier!

@Kidsthesedays
I know many active players. My intention to start is to personally invite them; then ask them if they have someone they would like to invite. I would then get that individuals contact info and personally contact them. Essentially I want a closed group of which I have issued all the invites. As for communication after a few games; BAND is incredible. If you have not tried it; everyone using invitd, signupgenius, groupme or text messages should take a look at it. Best group/team application - period.

As for communication after a few games; BAND is incredible. If you have not tried it; everyone using invitd, signupgenius, groupme or text messages should take a look at it. Best group/team application - period.
Interesting, I've never heard of BAND. I'm going to have to look into that.

At least 2 monitors for the blind timer.

Nothing sucks more than a 180° twist in the chair to see what the blinds are, or how much time is left in the round. Very few people dont have at least 2 devices in their home - use them!

For Bounties, if they are something like $5 or $10, then a lot of members use their cash chips as bounties. Plus you definitely want something that stacks, for when someone has 4-5 bounties they don't have a variety of odd objects cluttering up their playing space.

I recommend simply using a chip for bounties (e.g., black/white chips below the Son of the Harpy figure). However, if you also have a group within the group that is doing a last-longer, then @k9dr 's use of figurines is the definitely the way to go for a bit of extra fun.

Object2.jpg

However, if you also have a group within the group that is doing a last-longer, then @k9dr 's use of figurines is the definitely the way to go for a bit of extra fun.
I understand every bounty is identifiable, but how does a last longer work better with figurines? Doesn't someone still just need to keep track of knock out order?

New here but I am close to hosting my first home game in 10 years. I’ve been acquiring items for several months and the opening game will likely be a 2 table 20 person max tourney with a cash game beginning as soon as one table is clear.

I have looked on here for a checklist/wishlist for items that one would need and since finding none I thought I might begin to mark down the things I have and things I would like to have as the game progresses.
  • Table(in my case 2)
  • Chairs(20 mixed leather highbacks)
  • Chips
    • Tourney(Nevada Jack Skulls)
    • Cash(Paulson Mixed Set)
  • Players @LotsOfChips but I believe in the "If you build it they will come." theory.
  • Cards(@desjgn per @Dodger )
  • Cut cards @CraigT78
  • Dealer Buttons
  • Bounty(my plan is to have the players bring something of their own) ball mark, coin, card protector)
  • Poker Tourney Application
    • Deciding between blinds up or Roku app
  • White board or Neon Board
    • Payouts
    • High Hand
    • Bad Beat
  • Rules( I have 3 sets)
    • General house and poker
    • Tourney specific
    • Cash specific
  • Cash Holder/manager(not sure)
  • Fridge/cooler @CraigT78
  • Snacks/food/drinks
  • Slow cooker with oven bags @Rhodeman77
  • Communication/Invite tool/app.
  • Music with TV on mute(we are all big sports fans and probably play on Sundays; although it may slow the game down I couldnt imagine not having a game on) @Rhodeman77
Wishlist
  • Wall decor
  • Dedicated Dealer
  • Gassers
  • Better cards
  • More chips of course
  • Better organization (structure,blinds)
  • Supper/Meal
  • Hotdog Roller @navels
  • Supportive wife @asian bino
  • Coffee pot @CraigT78
  • Beer Taps @CraigT78
  • 3rd Table Topper (cheap) mine could possibly replace the snack table for an hour or so. @Darson
  • Drink carts/side tables @Rhodeman77
  • Seat Tokens for seat placement @markleteenie
  • Plaques for Mixed games(we only play NLTH) @markleteenie
What am I missing? What would you do different?
Cash drawer for Bank
and a cash bank for change
Crock Pot is a must. Great meals that you can set and forget i.e. Pulled Pork
Maybe a shuffler

Copy of Robert's Rules of Poker. I have found one I can print; however, is there a place to buy a bound copy of these rules?

FYI Tournament Director it's an excellent software, and you can use the free trial to run it for your first tournament, it also handles the payouts

Make sure that your general house and poker rules is short and concise.(1 page max) Mention on it which rules will be used (WSOP, RROP, etc) and have the "Tourney specific" and "Cash specific" rules available on request.
It worth to mention in the "general house and poker" the most common question situation and how to handle them (examples: misdeal, early show down, flashed cards, string bet, etc. ) this in orther to give the tables some autonomy but acting on a common rule.
It worth to mention what is expected from a player acting as a dealer (ask for show down, help players read the winning hand, differentiate muck, fold and burned cards)

+ have ashtrays or indication where you can smoke.
+ explain the color up/chip up method that you will use (big stack buy low demon?)
+ coins or small bills for chash cash-out
+ tell the players before hand who will act as Tournament Director to take a decision and if you will/could pause the clock if needed
+ tell the players before hand that the one how will act as Tournament Director, if it's involved in a hand it will answer to any request ASAP but it will not fol his hand :)

I would have a 3rd table or a topper you can put on a temp table - no way people will stick around long enough for 10 to bust out before they get to play again. Cash game can start when 3 or 4 have busted.

I find @Darson's comment to be more true for me.
If the first few out are only casual cash players, they will rarely stick around long enough for 7 more to bust. The most degen of the degens? Sure, but not all players fit that mold.
Having a 3rd option makes sticking around for cash much much easier and more likely to happen. It doesn't have to be a full blown poker table, just something to keep their gamble going until a full blown table opens up.

I need to find more degens like @CraigT78's running mates.

I find @Darson's comment to be more true for me.
If the first few out are only casual cash players, they will rarely stick around long enough for 7 more to bust. The most degen of the degens? Sure, but not all players fit that mold.
Having a 3rd option makes sticking around for cash much much easier and more likely to happen. It doesn't have to be a full blown poker table, just something to keep their gamble going until a full blown table opens up.

I need to find more degens like @CraigT78's running mates.
We've played 3 handed cash on the playroom ottoman, so I agree with your statement. But finding degens is something to add to the wishlist!

My crew is a 50:50 mix of degens and casual. The degens being degens they can't help being better through experience so they're usually the ones at the table the longest. I also think my game timing doesn't facilitate much cash play since we play a STT starting at 8pm which lasts until around midnight or 1am. On the rare occasions where we finish early there are usually around 5 who play cash after and they're all degens.

The problem is that the guys like the big payout at the end of the tourney as opposed to grinding for a few bucks so every time I suggest cash, they say they prefer tourney. Probably -ev for most of them but then degens gonna degen!

+ coins or small bills for cash-out
All of what our Swiss friend says is true, but none more so than this. A host that doesn't have at least 4 singles and 3 fives for every cash player is hoping that someone is bringing change... which isn't as common as you might hope.

A host that doesn't have at least 4 singles and 3 fives for every cash player

Our weekly league is $25 per week. Some guys have been playing 10+ years and i'll be dammed if they don't pay with 2 20s every week!
I have joked to many of them about adding a chip bonus for bringing correct change.
My retail life revolves around always asking for 5's as change so I have them on hand.

Plenty of change is a huge necessity as a host, and easily overlooked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom