Checking in -- Poker Table Build (1 Viewer)

TheHun

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
My first custom poker table build.
I had my local wood shop cut the parts on their CNC.
Black walnut table top. Still waiting on the layout for the center.
Just finished building up the edges for the padded arm rest. Just need to round over all the edges.
Stay tuned for more pics.

20221023_142155.jpg

Curious - did you consider making the racetrack smaller? It looks really wide mainly because of the dealer tray.

Yup, The dealer tray has a 1 1/4" lip (I will cut it down a bit), so that dictated the extent of the wood.
I am going to inlay the lip and cover it with a 1/4" thick molding. If I make an acrylic cover for the tray the molding will hold it in place.
The overall wood is like 9 1/2" and will be covered by 3 1/4" of the arm rest. So, the reveal is about 6 1/4"+-.
I wanted the beauty of the wood to show. will stain it a reddish tint, and with a green felt it should (I hope) look awesome.

Yup, The dealer tray has a 1 1/4" lip (I will cut it down a bit), so that dictated the extent of the wood.
I am going to inlay the lip and cover it with a 1/4" thick molding. If I make an acrylic cover for the tray the molding will hold it in place.
The overall wood is like 9 1/2" and will be covered by 3 1/4" of the arm rest. So, the reveal is about 6 1/4"+-.
I wanted the beauty of the wood to show. will stain it a reddish tint, and with a green felt it should (I hope) look awesome.
You are planning on staining black walnut with a reddish tint? I'd suggest that before you stain it, get the center inlay with green felt and just wet the walnut with water to see its true color. I bet you may not want to actually stain the walnut but just oil it and it would have a great contrast. Just a thought though, you do you. Table looks sweet.

You are planning on staining black walnut with a reddish tint? I'd suggest that before you stain it, get the center inlay with green felt and just wet the walnut with water to see its true color. I bet you may not want to actually stain the walnut but just oil it and it would have a great contrast. Just a thought though, you do you. Table looks sweet.

That table looks like it will be amazing. I agree with @TheAlchemist on this. A reddish tint on black walnut with green felt may not work that well. I made a mistake years ago by going with a walnut rail stained very dark with blue felt. I ended up having to change the felt, but the table never really looked that great and I ended up giving it away when I moved.

Finishing all done. Inlaid the chip tray. Ready for upholstery.
I hope to have the upholstery done next week.
After that comes the base. Still trying to decide what kind to make / buy.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20221029_100248.jpg

20221029_100326.jpg

20221029_101031.jpg

Yeah,
The guy who owned the house before me did it. I will eventually replace it with wood / insulate / sheetrock.
The guy was one of those who "THOUGHT" he was a contractor. I have to redo and replace almost everything he did.
check this out... and this.....Really?
20221101_194726.jpg
20221101_195011.jpg

That light switch setup. Are there three electrical outlet boxes and he was two cheap to buy a three way cover?

I wonder what you will find when you take it all out.......

That light switch setup. Are there three electrical outlet boxes and he was two cheap to buy a three way cover?

I wonder what you will find when you take it all out.......
I know. There are wires going everywhere. It's going to take me a week just to figure out what he was thinking.
Still working on the upstairs, I replaced some bedroom doors that were literally 3/8" out of plumb an 1/4" out of plane. I replaced tile in the bathroom that was on an incline towards the shower. It left a 1/4" deep puddle.
New floor. Perfectly flat and level. I've since finished it. (almost)
20200813_150420.jpg

The first glue up for the base.
It will be flame maple (sorta fiddleback). the bottom trim will be painted black to mimic the arm rest.
The legs will be at an 8-degree angle.

20221116_203153.jpg

I'm thinking of going commercial. Any opinions?
I have access to 2 sheets of the most beautiful Claro Walnut I have ever seen.

Yes, I could customize any way someone wants. I know AutoCAD so I can present drawings before building.

I am not sure that the average poker player would appreciate a Claro Walnut table. That said, your finished product looks amazing.

How many hours do you have into a project like this?

Yeah,
The guy who owned the house before me did it. I will eventually replace it with wood / insulate / sheetrock.
The guy was one of those who "THOUGHT" he was a contractor. I have to redo and replace almost everything he did.
check this out... and this.....Really?
View attachment 1016698View attachment 1016699
oh god the light switches remind me of the horror my old man faced as a sparky in Vancouver. Every light/room needed its own individual switch, cant recall the details but i remember seeing one wall that had 8 switches on it.

Table looks great. Track would actually go down well at my home game, room for hotdogs and whatever insane stacking system the players want to use!

oh god the light switches remind me of the horror my old man faced as a sparky in Vancouver. Every light/room needed its own individual switch, cant recall the details but i remember seeing one wall that had 8 switches on it.

Table looks great. Track would actually go down well at my home game, room for hotdogs and whatever insane stacking system the players want to use!
I know. In one room the guy screwed the light fixture to the drywall and just fished the wire to it. No box, nothing. I had to put a fixture box there. I would have never noticed, I was lucky, I replaced the fixture and uncovered that mess.

The major parts for the base are all glued up an all the corner inlays are glued in.
Now comes the long task of sanding and filling all the blemishes.
20221122_094730.jpg

Close up of the walnut corner inlays. A nice contrast to the maple.

20221122_094746.jpg

Check out that fiddleback pattern. Nicer than I thought.

20221122_095135.jpg
20221122_102236.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom