Check out this whiskey list! What should I try? (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
I’ll be in STL with the family tonight. Since I had to spend all weekend working, they’re taking me to Salt & Smoke for barbecue and drinks for Father’s Day. I’m not a big drinker, so I’ll have two, maybe three pours. Many/most of these bottles are rarely, if ever available to me locally.
Whistlepig 12 and EH Taylor are on the top of my list to try. Which of these would be your recommendations?
https://saltandsmokebbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/drink-menu-3_10_2020.pdf

Scotch (I have tried only a few, and no very little about it)

The Balvenie 14, 17, or 21. Lagavulin 16 if you have never had it (one of my favorites), I would be tempted to try the Macallan 18 sherry Oak or the Macallan Rare Cask.

Bourbons (I only know a touch more about bourbons than I do scotch lol)

I really enjoyed the I.W.Harper/

Jeffersons Ocean Aged at Sea (way cheaper than MI).
OF 1920
Redwood Empire Pipe Dream
Wellers 107
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

I think the scotch list is more impressive than the bourbon list.

As for cocktails, I'd be tempted to try the Lexington Negroni or the Salt + Smoke

Go for the Talisker. It’s a safe bet and not too peaty. If you decide you like the peaty taste you can go for a Laphroaig. If the peat isn’t your thing try a Speyside like Glenfiddich or Glenfarclas.

Have them with just a wee splash of water and you’re good to go. Enjoy your night.

Scotch - Oban 14 and Macallan 18 are 2 of my favorites.

High West Bourye is one I want to try.

Redwood Empire Lost Monarch gets excellent reviews. Haven’t opened my bottle yet.

Booker’s
EH Taylor Single Barrel
Old Forester 1920
Weller 12
Weller Antique 107

Those are what I’d drink, but there are plenty of other good bottles too!

Lots of good tips above. One suggestion I would have is to stick with either bourbon or scotch. I find switching between the two to be an unpleasant experience. That might just be my palet though.

Scotch - Oban 14 and Macallan 18 are 2 of my favorites.

High West Bourye is one I want to try.

Redwood Empire Lost Monarch gets excellent reviews. Haven’t opened my bottle yet.

Booker’s
EH Taylor Single Barrel
Old Forester 1920
Weller 12
Weller Antique 107

Those are what I’d drink, but their are plenty of other good bottles too!
You could ask them to make you a Poor Man’s Pappy: 3 parts Weller A107 and 2 parts Weller 12.

Lots of good tips above. One suggestion I would have is to stick with either bourbon or scotch. I find switching between the two to be an unpleasant experience. That might just be my palet though.

Good point. I find if I'm having both in one night. Start with the bourbon, finish with the scotch.

• Knappogue Castle 12 Year is a great Irish whiskey, and worth a dram if you like Irish Whiskey.
  • Whistlepig 12 Year Rye Old World is definitely something you should have, especially since you already have your eye on it.
  • Colonel E.H. Taylor JR. Single Barrel is pretty good, if you have your eye on it go for it.
  • Blantons is another one if you havent had it, it is a chase bottle, but it can be polarizing.
  • Jefferson's Pichon Baron, havent had this version, but I have had the Groth Cask and it was delicious. But I wouldnt say it has a lot of body so if you like bolder bourbon it may be a pass
  • Michter's 10 Year Bourbon is a damn good bourbon. I've had it next to Pappy 15 year and the Michter's was significantly better. Plus it is not something you are going to easily find in the wild.
  • W. L . Weller 12 Year Old, another great bourbon you will not find in the wild. And that is a great price for a pour.
  • Wild Turkey Decades is another that is a hidden gem.
Honestly I would go with the ones you cant find easily. There are plenty of good whiskeys on that list and that have been recommended on this thread. But many of them you can walk into most good liquor stores and buy them off the shelf. If this is a special evening and you want to get some special things, get things you cant just go buy at the store. So personally I would EH Taylor, then Weller 12, then Micters 10, then Whistlepig Old world. That order in terms of body (weakest to strongest). That being said you may not be able to taste much if you are drinking the whole pour before starting another.

There’s a lot of snobbery about whisky same as there is with wine.
Just try as many different types as you can and you’ll find one that you really like. The trick is to remember to write that one down before you get too smashed :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I would try all three redwood empires. At $4 pour

I love lost monarch which is a blend of pipe dream and emerald giant. Comparing all three individually and then blended, maybe even trying to blend it yourself would be worth the $12

A lot of good advice above--I can't add much more. Prices seem exceptionally reasonable (and fair) to me.

I'd focus on anything you can't get at home, or can't touch for a reasonable price. Thus, for me, the Weller 12 is a definite.

I ended up starting with the Whistlepig 12. Absolutely fantastic! I may splurge on a bottle as a special treat sometime. My wife and son wanted to try the apple barrel cocktail. Neither of them liked it. It was a bit sweeter than I usually like, but tasted good with the BBQ, so it went down pretty quickly. It was also pretty boozy, so I had a good buzz going. (Did I mention I'm a bit of lightweight? :D) Decided not to spend a ton on something really special, as I wasn't in a state to really appreciate it, so I got a Col. Taylor. Very good. Probably would have gotten the Welller 107, but they were out. :(

As far as the food goes, it was fantastic! We didn't get there till almost 8:00, and we were disappointed to to hear that they were out of brisket and pulled pork. No worries, we'll just get ribs. Except, we were enjoying drinks and apps at a leisurely pace, and by the time we ordered our entrees, the ribs were gone! :mad: Even that turned out good, because we wouldn't have tried the fried jalapeño and cheddar bologna, which was spectacular! The chicken and smoked wings were delicious, as well. All the sides are fantastic, too. We actually stopped by today for lunch to try the ribs and brisket. We were not disappointed.

If you're ever in STL, you gotta try Salt + Smoke.

Our lunch today. Ribs, brisket, fries (quite possibly the best fries I’ve ever had!), and creamed corn, with a cheddar popover.

743A1484-66CC-40B7-896D-A676C00E34F6.jpeg

Salt and Smoke is a mile from my place! I know this sounds strange...but the Mac and Cheese is the best thing there!

Salt and Smoke is a mile from my place! I know this sounds strange...but the Mac and Cheese is the best thing there!
Agreed, the mac and cheese is delicious. We also enjoyed the pit beans. We ate at the Delmar location last night, and St Charles today. Downtown STC is not what I expected. Neat area, and we had absolutely gorgeous weather!

Yes - the Saint Charles area is where I call home at the moment. And yes, great weather today and yesterday.

There’s a local bbq joint (given the bbq isn’t really good here compared to when I lived in nc) that has a bourbon sauce that is divine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom