Cheaper Phone Plans (1 Viewer)

Ronoh

Full House
Reaction score
Is there a best-value plan/provider out there? Thinking of consolidating plans with the GF (at least 3, possible up to 5 lines with the kids, currently Sprint and T-Mobile)... we don’t use a ton of data outside of Wifi. Not sure where to start to hunt down the best value, if we should stick with one of our current providers or look into the cheaper options that are advertised everywhere (Boost, etc).

Suggestions?

Maybe Google Fi would work for you? They use VoIP when they can and automatically switch to T-Mobile/Sprint when no WiFi available. If you don't use a lot of data, I think you can get 5 lines for $16/each + $10/GB data. So for your 5 lines, $80 + data used. I looked into it when I was thinking about switching, but my family uses way too much data to make it worth while for me. But it may be good for you?

Maybe Google Fi would work for you? They use VoIP when they can and automatically switch to T-Mobile/Sprint when no WiFi available. If you don't use a lot of data, I think you can get 5 lines for $16/each + $10/GB data. So for your 5 lines, $80 + data used. I looked into it when I was thinking about switching, but my family uses way too much data to make it worth while for me. But it may be good for you?
Thanks for the input! While we don’t use a ton of data I’m sure we use enough that a “per GB” plan wouldn’t be worthwhile. I guess I’m looking for more of “which provider(s) offer the best value plans” and am curious if the secondary providers like Boost, etc do indeed provide basically the same quality service at a cheaper price as claimed.

I’m one who more or less just picked a provider out of a hat and stuck with them without paying much attention or shopping around. I’m looking for a good value without putting in the work as I really don’t know where to start :D

So, straight talk from Walmart does some smaller hidden plans that are worth it. I was unlimited text, 200 min of talk, and 5 gigs of data for 24 bucks a month for a few years. It was off Tmobile, but the value was great.

I've found that if you don't need the credit bump, prepaid is super cheap. Not sure about current plans, but always worth poking around.

Xfinity mobile. They piggyback the Verizon network, but do not charge per line fees on a shared data plan. It was the same price for me to keep two old phones on Verizon as it was for me to switch and get two new top of the line phones. The only problem is you need to be an xfinity customer already for cable or internet to take advantage.

While we don’t use a ton of data I’m sure we use enough that a “per GB” plan wouldn’t be worthwhile
I guess you'd have to run the numbers? (that's me, captain obvious)

From what I've seen, most phone plans cost about $50-$60/line. For 5 lines, that's $250-$300/month. Google Fi, for 5 lines caps out at $240/month. So even if you use >16GB/month it still cheaper. And if you use less than the 16GB, your bill is less.

And a bonus is that you are not tied into a contract. You can cancel/switch at anytime. Like I said, I was going to go with it but the fact my family are all data hogs would have kept me at the max per month for Google Fi. And with my corporate discount on cellular with AT&T, it was cheaper to stay with them. YMMV

T-Mobile family user for 3+ years after being AT&T/Cingular user for 10+ years. T-Mobile plans have many, many benefits and great pricing, but are confusing to understand like most carriers. Plus, there are discounts for various reasons - Google is your friend. I will list a few of the benefits (at least what I have, not sure what currently is offered...) Very satisfied with T-Mobile service, support & international use.

I have seven unlimited lines on my account which is a base of $220 ($160 for first 4 lines, then $20 per line - T-Mobile One plan). However, after monthly Netflix credit of $16, it is $204. With Kickback (no longer offered), lines that do not exceed 2GB of mobile data (streaming not counted toward this limit), a $10 credit per line is provided. So, monthly bills range from $134 to $204 for seven lines ($19 to $29 per line per month). All taxes and fees included.

#1. ALL TAXES AND FEES ARE INCLUDED - this is not to be overlooked or undervalued when comparing to ANY other service.
#2. After 4th line on account, additional lines are $20/mo. (again, including all calls, all data, tethering and all taxes & fees)
#3. Netflix monthly credit of $16
#4. Important for my family (especially pre-Corona!), FREE international data roaming & texting in 140+ countries, sometimes slow/sometimes fast but always free (and upgradeable for more $)
#5. Mexico & Canada included as if U.S. (no additional charges at all)

Plus/General Features...
unlimited data
unlimited text
unlimited minutes
tethering & hotspot included (10GB LTE per line)
unlimited international data included (slower data)
unlimited international texting included
no data overage fees (slower data)
tethering on free roaming data included
140 countries roaming at .20 minute for calls to land or mobile
Mexico & Canada included as if U.S. for data/text/calls
Streaming services do not count against high speed data limit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom