Cheap resurfacing of a cheap table (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
My buddy’s wife found this old Pit Boss folding table for $20 at a local thrift shop a while back. It’s similar in construction to the Barrington tables. The old felt was gross and wrinkled, and the “foam” under it was worthless.

I’ve got a Barrington coming, but I thought this would be nice to have at his house, or for when we need a second table.

So I got some leftover pad from a carpet layer at a house I was painting, and some black outdoor fabric from Joann. I looked at Walmart for the $5/yd outdoor fabric on @stonker’s recommendation, but they didn’t have black. I was going to buy the dark green, but as the guy unrolled it to cut it, it was all creased and wrinkled, and I didn’t want to fight with it.

$35 for fabric and spray adhesive, and about 100 staples. It’s not perfect, but it is much improved, and it was a good learning experience. I may attempt to recover the rail, but that feels like way out of my wheelhouse.

Do you have any photos of the underside of the rail? It may just be a matter of pulling staples and reupholstering, which can seem like a daunting task, I know. However, with a lot of staples and patience, it’s a pretty straightforward process!

Great job refinishing the playing surface!

Do you have any photos of the underside of the rail? It may just be a matter of pulling staples and reupholstering, which can seem like a daunting task, I know. However, with a lot of staples and patience, it’s a pretty straightforward process!

Great job refinishing the playing surface!
I didn't even really look at the underside of the rails. I'd probably enlist my wife's help for redoing the vinyl rails, if I ever decide to tackle it. I'm sure she would do a much better job of making it look good. :D

I have one of these. I actually love it. I've had it for about fifteen years and nearly every game of poker I've played since then has been on this table. I honestly don't get the hate.

That said, your refurb looks way nicer. Good work!

I have one of these. I actually love it. I've had it for about fifteen years and nearly every game of poker I've played since then has been on this table. I honestly don't get the hate.

That said, your refurb looks way nicer. Good work!
If I found another one, I’d definitely snag it, especially for $20. It’s really solidly made.

Nice work! A few years ago we bought 7 big poker tables at an auction when a bowling alley/fun zone place closed down. We had a re-felting party and put new speed cloth on several of them, and it was a great transformation (and more work than we expected). My table had some spots on the vinyl rail where the finish was rubbed off from dragging the heavy tables around, and I hit it with some black vinyl dye from a spray can and the results were way better than I imagined. It was hard to even tell where the spot had been. So if you've got some scuff marks (not tears) on the rails, that can help make them look good again for less than 10 bucks.

I'm one of those no cup holder guys, so I'd need to cover those up. Can the rail be done in two 1/2 sections (so the table can still fold)? Or are those rail partitions necessary?

I'm one of those no cup holder guys, so I'd need to cover those up. Can the rail be done in two 1/2 sections (so the table can still fold)? Or are those rail partitions necessary?
The table folds so the playing surface is exposed, so you only need the partition in the middle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom