Cheap Poker Setup/Feedback on Online Offers (1 Viewer)

BarrieJ3

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided that if I'm going to be spending all this time on poker paraphernalia, I need to jump back in head first to hosting. We just moved, but we're in an HOA of thousands of homes. Taking the kid for a ride on his scooter I've already ran into guys who would play.

The problem is, we gave away all 3 tables, chairs - everything when we moved. (Had no idea if we would have had space for them, and they wouldn't have sold for much). Additionally, I no longer have a whole basement to myself or even a dedicated poker room (I figure to start we'll be playing outdoors, garage or even driveway with amenities and such out there to be more covid friendly).

Starting from nothing and attempting to keep this as low cost as possible, give me some feedback and let me know if I'm going the wrong direction.

In trying to keep this iteration super cheap, I thought about a topper. But then we're stuck playing in the dining room (only table) which wouldn't work. A PCFer found this in my area for $100 (listed for $3 something). Figure that's worth it as a short term solution. Would it be horrible to use a table with the cutout and no dedicated dealer?

1601772358745.png

I also need the table/feet to fold. When not in use I’ll probably just hang it up on the wall. Saw @DoubleEagle suggest these, figure cheap enough at $100 and light enough I can hang in garage and carry inside/outside when needed? Awaiting shipping cost from them. Are there cheaper fixes for folding legs if this is only a temporary solution/table?

https://www.metalkraft.com/folding-legs/banquet-style-wishbone-legs-1-detail

E901ADE9-BDCA-4A05-9FC6-206AD31F1E5C.jpeg

It reads "Banquet chairs", 10 of em for $100. It looks like these chairs are often stupid expensive or stupid cheap. These look to be like stupid cheap ones? Do I need better pictures/lower price/different chairs?

1601772244795.png

So looking at probably around $350 all in for the above before grabbing sliding cup holders and such. Too much for something just temp? Not enough and need to spend more or wait for better chairs?

Last edited:
Those chairs are not awesome. The seat padding is way to thin. A slight step up from folding chairs.

As for the table, I don't think the cutout would make a huge deal. But $100 for a used table, plus new legs, that's stiff. You can get a folding oval table to get your game up for less. Or keep watching craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

That tabel loks like it already has folding legs.

I hate dealer cutouts, I often see the cheap folding tables for $100 or less on marketplace or craigslist. for $200 you could probably get a barrington.

The chairs look fine and looks like a good deal

Those chairs are not awesome. The seat padding is way to thin. A slight step up from folding chairs.

As for the table, I don't think the cutout would make a huge deal. But $100 for a used table, plus new legs, that's stiff. You can get a folding oval table to get your game up for less. Or keep watching craigslist and Facebook marketplace.
Indiana was an absolute dead spot for online finds. Seems TX is a much more flush, keeping an eye out.

@kaimat @ReallyGoodUsername @JeepologyOffroad lemme know if you come across any great chairs this direction!
That tabel loks like it already has folding legs.

I hate dealer cutouts, I often see the cheap folding tables for $100 or less on marketplace or craigslist. for $200 you could probably get a barrington.

The chairs look fine and looks like a good deal
Yeah I thought they might be folding. Question in to seller. And in my limited playing experience I’ve never had to deal with a cutout, but I’m guessing I won’t like it one bit. If the best/cheapest table has one in the interim, I’ll deal with it.

Indiana was an absolute dead spot for online finds. Seems TX is a much more flush, keeping an eye out.

@kaimat @ReallyGoodUsername @JeepologyOffroad lemme know if you come across any great chairs this direction!

Yeah I thought they might be folding. Question in to seller. And in my limited playing experience I’ve never had to deal with a cutout, but I’m guessing I won’t like it one bit. If the best/cheapest table has one in the interim, I’ll deal with it.
There's a guy in dallas that buys out hotels and sells the stuff. Let me see if I can find his contact info. He had a warehouse full of Gasser chairs back in 2015. Might be worth contacting him to see if he's still in business and what he's got.

You could seat 10 around the ping pong table
Thought that might be a temporary solution for a couple months and not too many games.

Would need a big ol topper. I sat at one end, and the distance doesn’t look too too terrible (PCF topper for size reference).

What do folks think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are you coming thru Clovis to angel fire? I’m about to buy a Chanman so have an extra table and I have a shit ton of gassers.

Basically could possibly hook you up with this exact set up... I promised the chairs to anothe first but they may not want them anymore...

502YTkj.jpg

xBwhBUh.jpg

Are you coming thru Clovis to angel fire? I’m about to buy a Chanman so have an extra table and I have a shit ton of gassers.

Basically could possibly hook you up with this exact set up... I promised the chairs to anothe first but they may not want them anymore...

502YTkj.jpg

xBwhBUh.jpg
We have the week open still, but now no Angel Fire. Our kid care (previous care for the kids for years is flying down to hang with them for a week) just let us know she is newly pregnant. Wife didn’t want to leave the stress of flying and two kids for a week, so we had to cancel.

There’s a lot I want to do up there so we’re just rescheduling for next year.

BUT I now have some days I can be child, wife, and work free....:wow:

If you really are interested shoot me a PM. Should be within your budget and you’ll have some of the best poker chairs you can find imo. And I’ll find out if the other guy still needs em

If you really are interested shoot me a PM. Should be within your budget and you’ll have some of the best poker chairs you can find imo. And I’ll find out if the other guy still needs em
lol that PM is coming! And I talked to him, he said he was good. He could still take some chairs, but he definitely didn’t need em all.

You can take the dealer tray out and drop in a piece of plywood that you felt very easily. It won’t match, but it will work fine.

Those chairs are what all the whole sale clubs sell for $20/each new. They are an okay deal at $10. Like Craig said they work, but are not very comfortable.

If you can take @JeepologyOffroad up on his offerget the Gasser chairs!!!! They are the best.

You can take the dealer tray out and drop in a piece of plywood that you felt very easily. It won’t match, but it will work fine.

Those chairs are what all the whole sale clubs sell for $20/each new. They are an okay deal at $10. Like Craig said they work, but are not very comfortable.

If you can take @JeepologyOffroad up on his offerget the Gasser chairs!!!! They are the best.
Appreciate the feedback! I’m gunning for em, but Craig has assisted with backup as well just in case.

My hope is to bring a thank you bottle, get Jeep wasted, and then abscond with the cork table. Poker table and chairs be damned, I’m stealing the Infamous Pron Table!

Appreciate the feedback! I’m gunning for em, but Craig has assisted with backup as well just in case.

My hope is to bring a thank you bottle, get Jeep wasted, and then abscond with the cork table. Poker table and chairs be damned, I’m stealing the Infamous Pron Table!
I actually had 2 of them. Sold one sadly haha

Already got 4 confirmed neighbors that want to play. Plenty of time to plan and prepare and get more attendees.

Then I start getting excited. Need to get all garage tools up on the wall, need a beer/garage fridge, maybe a big ol outdoor blower, we have 0 beer/liqour on hand so need to load up a small bar, wheeeee. That stuff is all easy peasy, wife will think most of that is necessary even without poker.

Then I remember they asked to play really low stakes cash. Lol I don't have a micro stakes set, which is most likely the thing I'd play and be hosting outside of meetups :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

1601921788184.png

Already got 4 confirmed neighbors that want to play. Plenty of time to plan and prepare and get more attendees.

Then I start getting excited. Need to get all garage tools up on the wall, need a beer/garage fridge, maybe a big ol outdoor blower, we have 0 beer/liqour on hand so need to load up a small bar, wheeeee. That stuff is all easy peasy, wife will think most of that is necessary even without poker.

Then I remember they asked to play really low stakes cash. Lol I don't have a micro stakes set, which is most likely the thing I'd play and be hosting outside of meetups :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 546946
Start with tournaments. Seriously. It's a sunk cost and is how I grew my local group over 5 years. Start with $40 or $50, maybe more, maybe less, depending on your neighborhood demographics. It's easy to convince a bunch of dads to come play poker and drink beers when they know the max they will lose is $60 that night. Once you have a solid group of regs, announce a 2 hour warmup cash game. $.25/$.50 blinds, $100 max. Run that for a few months. You'll find out who your degens are. Then it's 4 hours of post tournament cash.

If you build it, they will come.

Also, with tournaments, even the terrible players will continue to come back. In their eyes, $60-$80 to get out of the house for a night and drink beers and bullshit is worth the pricetag. I've got regs who haven't missed a tournament in 5 years - never cashed, and are the first to sign up.

Sorry for posting in this, but I’m not starting a “Barrie Home Game Thread” this early out, that’s just annoying (and you guys have be awesome helpful, for reals)

So the wife is not sooooper stoked about needing to pick up all this stuff, but she knows it’s necessary and it’s somewhat important. Me taking the garage, and making sure table and chairs were storable and stackable were helpful.

But I was just playing with kids outside, and realized duh! Playing out here means not having to buy any fans for the garage, speakers, and we would rather buy a min fridge for out here than a garage fridge!

The space is bigger than it looks, but still more intimate than a garage. Not sure if that’s a plus or minus, but I think if I was attending I’d rather be in the comfort put back.

9AF1589F-F720-4D03-8E82-D7F0FDB59954.jpeg

(yes houses are all close :wtf:)

Sorry for posting in this, but I’m not starting a “Barrie Home Game Thread” this early out, that’s just annoying (and you guys have be awesome helpful, for reals)

So the wife is not sooooper stoked about needing to pick up all this stuff, but she knows it’s necessary and it’s somewhat important. Me taking the garage, and making sure table and chairs were storable and stackable were helpful.

But I was just playing with kids outside, and realized duh! Playing out here means not having to buy any fans for the garage, speakers, and we would rather buy a min fridge for out here than a garage fridge!

The space is bigger than it looks, but still more intimate than a garage. Not sure if that’s a plus or minus, but I think if I was attending I’d rather be in the comfort put back.

View attachment 546957
Have you experienced a Texas summer? You won't be playing out here once June hits, trust me.

Edit - and unless you have an AC in your garage........

Last edited:

View attachment 546957
I'd totally play out there. Always wish I could play outdoors here, but wind is ridiculous. It would never work.

View attachment 546957

A happy wife is pretty conducive to long term hosting, and anything that looks pieced together is probably going to be met with scorn or “ not in my dining room”.
I think your best bet is a barrington, little more in price (but not crazy expensive) but they look acceptable in a garage or dining room and are easy to store. Plus you don’t have to apologize every poker night for something that’s wonky about your table.
You want to be able to relax and be comfortable, that’s what brings people back. If your on edge about the equipment it comes across. Be comfortable with whatever you end up on.

microstakes as in .05/.10 or .25/,25
Not sure yet. I can see half million + homes and folks my age with no teeth. No judgement, I just have no clue where the hell we live.
Start with tournaments. Seriously. It's a sunk cost and is how I grew my local group over 5 years. Start with $40 or $50, maybe more, maybe less, depending on your neighborhood demographics. It's easy to convince a bunch of dads to come play poker and drink beers when they know the max they will lose is $60 that night. Once you have a solid group of regs, announce a 2 hour warmup cash game. $.25/$.50 blinds, $100 max. Run that for a few months. You'll find out who your degens are. Then it's 4 hours of post tournament cash.

If you build it, they will come.
Absolutely, was the plan. I was ready for a year of boredom. Had two fellas bring up the cash, but it'll also be good for me to first host these lil single table nights just to get some under my belt.
I'd totally play out there. Always wish I could play outdoors here, but wind is ridiculous. It would never work.
I'm actually pretty pumped. It's pretty nice every day right now. Good shade, overhead fans, speakers if I can figure out how to get em on, and fridge and hot dog roller built right in :D

@CraigT78 I'll figure something out by summer. We do plan on replacing the backyard with a pool, so @Perthmike can catch some more Barrie playing from the hot tub :cool

You want to be able to relax and be comfortable, that’s what brings people back. If your on edge about the equipment it comes across. Be comfortable with whatever you end up on.
That's a pretty brilliant note. I'm a bit over the top or at least self conscious when it comes to hosting, so being relaxed is a good point.

Doesn't help that I have limited exposure to poker, but at least I realized the one or two purely social times I hosted poker before I was the only one who cared or noticed my tables/chips/scheduled night/etc.

That's a pretty brilliant note. I'm a bit over the top or at least self conscious when it comes to hosting, so being relaxed is a good point.

Doesn't help that I have limited exposure to poker, but at least I realized the one or two purely social times I hosted poker before I was the only one who cared or noticed my tables/chips/scheduled night/etc.
When starting out, I will say having a real table truly does take it up a notch more so than the chips. Much more enjoyable experience, even for brand new players, when you have a table imo

When starting out, I will say having a real table truly does take it up a notch more so than the chips. Much more enjoyable experience, even for brand new players, when you have a table imo
All In :D

And I agree. The few times we got together, there wasn't even a person who muttered oh these are cool, despite Kifer overnighting an entire set just for that game.

However, we all sure as sh*t noticed whenever someone chose one of the broken chairs, because it wasn't long before the fell out (I had cheap rollers that leaned back from a garage sale).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom