Chateau de Noix table build thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how it works out. I'll try the T-nuts. Seems appropriate in the House of Nutz!

Table shown "pre-assembled" and ready for T-nut application. I'll then disassemble for the felt and rail construction. Appreciate all of the help!
IMG_2214.JPG

Oh, and worked on some of the nails today. My nylon hammer wasn't so true (or the hands that held it) and I was able to get things more in alignment.
IMG_2213.JPG

As stated, I find it very useful to pre-drill... Use a small bit.

If you go with T nuts and bolts, be sure to use large washers with the bolts. They distribute pressure evenly around the bolt hole, and allow you to get the rail fastened tight. Without them, the bolt head will strip the plywood when it's screwed in.

If I use a1/4" bolt, shouldn't I use a 1/4" drill to accommodate the shaft? Sorry, confused.

I'm referring to the deco nails... I always pre drill "pilot" holes. Very small, but then your nails go in the right spot, don't ever break, and it's hella easy to tap the nails in. I pre drilled my holes, handed my 11yo daughter a bin of deco nails, a hammer, and said "go to it"

If I use a1/4" bolt, shouldn't I use a 1/4" drill to accommodate the shaft? Sorry, confused.
You actually have to go up a size for the t nut to fit. The inside of the threads measure 1/4", you need to account for the metal around that.

However, this isn't what he's talking about. Most people pre drill the deco nail holes.

You actually have to go up a size for the t nut to fit. The inside of the threads measure 1/4", you need to account for the metal around that.

However, this isn't what he's talking about. Most people pre drill the deco nail holes.

Yup, pre-drilling helps alleviate the two issues you experienced... Off center and broken/bent nails.

I'm referring to the deco nails... I always pre drill "pilot" holes. Very small, but then your nails go in the right spot, don't ever break, and it's hella easy to tap the nails in. I pre drilled my holes, handed my 11yo daughter a bin of deco nails, a hammer, and said "go to it"

Laughing at myself. Gotcha. If I ever do this again (and I hope somewhere along the way I do), I'll try out your technique. Very humbling doing these kinds of things for the first time.

You will thank yourself....

If you ever have a tendency (or any of your guests do) of leaning on the table rail, not 100% parallel to the rail top, you'll feel that outside rail edge through the foam... I also find it helps with upholstery (just my experience), so I do the inner arc or the rail too.

Two steps I never saw coming. Both went well. No glue yet applied to t-nuts, but no worries. Thanks for the advice fellas.

IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2222.JPG

Hi @bivey , what size decorative nails are they and what are they made of?

Looking good mate.

Hi @bivey , what size decorative nails are they and what are they made of?

Looking good mate.

The nails are 5/8 inch on 3/4 inch plywood. They are "dark pewter" in description but have no idea what they are actually made of. They are quite sturdy despite my abusing them. The nail shanks are also 5/8". I got them for about $20 per 150. The pewter fdl were quite a bit more expensive, but I had to! Kinda like chips really - I don't really sacrifice. It's my achilles heel and is an inherited trait.

The nails are 5/8 inch on 3/4 inch plywood. They are "dark pewter" in description but have no idea what they are actually made of. They are quite sturdy despite my abusing them. The nail shanks are also 5/8". I got them for about $20 per 150. The pewter fdl were quite a bit more expensive, but I had to! Kinda like chips really - I don't really sacrifice. It's my achilles heel and is an inherited trait.

They are a fantastic touch mate - can't wait to see the final product.

Two steps I never saw coming. Both went well. No glue yet applied to t-nuts, but no worries. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Love this. Glad you're open to the advice, it'll be a much better table in the end. Coming along nicly!

Looks great, Bert -- the nails make for a very classy statement.

Upholstering rails is a pita. And fingers. And the back usually suffers, too. Hope you had a helper (makes a huge difference, but still a pita).

Ok, so my table legs arrived. Before I attach, I guess I have to figure out if the table is stiff enough. I used 3/4 inch ply wood. Aside from the 3 sheet tall rail, the entire table is one layer think. As players lean on the table, will it bend enough to be bothersome? Should I use one of my cutouts from the rail and place this underneath the table to add rigidity? Sure it adds weight, but if the table is going to bend a lot...

Thoughts?

Personally, I've never had any issues with a single sheet of 3/4" birch or oak plywood bending under strain, especially if the rail is permanently attached (vs free-floating on the table-top surface).

Personally, I've never had any issues with a single sheet of 3/4" birch or oak plywood bending under strain, especially if the rail is permanently attached (vs free-floating on the table-top surface).
Thanks Dave

This table is, for the time being, portable. I bought some rockler legs similar to Links and Redbelly. Three permanent tables was not allowed by the Mrs.

I am really impressed by the effort put in by those of you who make your own tables. This is no exception. Looking great. FDL nails were a fantastic touch. Well done.

Table looks amazing! I used a single 7/8 or some oddball number slightly over 3/4 birch cabinet grade plywood on mine and it is super sturdy as single sheet. I would think with your rail attached it should be perfectly fine.

Table looks amazing! I used a single 7/8 or some oddball number slightly over 3/4 birch cabinet grade plywood on mine and it is super sturdy as single sheet. I would think with your rail attached it should be perfectly fine.
Thanks!

In printing. Should have in a week +\-. As always J5 comes through. This was essentially exactly what I asked for on his first draft. And then he goes the extra mile. He's really great to work with.

I'll update photos when I stretch this over the table.
image.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom