Ceramic Edgespots - too small to bother with? (1 Viewer)

Should I go ahead with the Axe as the edge spot or just do a traditional design.

• Total voters

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this set, but I keep hesitating on the edgespots. I really want to incorporate the fireman theme into the edgespots, but I'm worried that it will be too small to really work. This proof looks a little blurry, but the artwork for the axe is a high-res vector file.

Let me know what you think!

thanks!

Do the spot in the spot colour and the axe in the main chip colour. Then you don’t have to worry about it being too small of a spot and you get the axe

There could be problems with the yellow axe on red background. The handle is quite thin and with sublimation imprinting, light-dark edges tend to shift a bit to the lighter side. If the handle is ~0.2 mm thick, there might not be much left to see.

At least, be prepared for size variations when mixing up foreground/background colors like this. Variations of plus/minus 0.1 mm are no problem if some figure is 10+ mm large. But for the small scale of the edge (3.3 mm total height; <3mm safely usable), you will see those variations immediately.

What software did you use to create the design? Any cheap/free recommendations for a first timer?

inkscape is a decent free vector software

I did my chip designs in Inkscape. My experience was frustrating, but it got the job done. However, ABC wasn't able to open my SVG files. I tried saving them a million different ways (simple, simple without PDF, simple with PDF, etc, etc), and Illustrator just couldn't open them. I was very nervous that all of my effort would be lost.

Luckily, ABC said they could take a straight-up PDF, and that worked! I am curious if anyone else had this problem with SVG files using Inkscape?

I did my chip designs in Inkscape. My experience was frustrating, but it got the job done. However, ABC wasn't able to open my SVG files. I tried saving them a million different ways (simple, simple without PDF, simple with PDF, etc, etc), and Illustrator just couldn't open them. I was very nervous that all of my effort would be lost.

Luckily, ABC said they could take a straight-up PDF, and that worked! I am curious if anyone else had this problem with SVG files using Inkscape?
I always send PDFs, PDFs are just a wrapper for a files so you don’t lose any info sending vectors as PDFs

I always send PDFs, PDFs are just a wrapper for a files so you don’t lose any info sending vectors as PDFs

I was designing my new table's felt for Chanman, and I had asked about which format he prefers. His response was not to send PDFs or SVGs - only AI files... So I broke down and purchased a month of Illustrator. I honestly don't understand the difference between PDF and SVG. I supposed since PDF worked well, I'd be OK using that format again. It was just frustrating beyond all belief when the SVGs from Inkscape didn't work in Illustrator.

EPS is also a generic vector file type that works iirc. I work in Corel mostly now but it imports AI, EPS and PDFs fine

svgs it is less happy with but still mostly worked

I always like the look of the white ring on ceramics like chipco did. plus it has an added purposes of avoiding bleeding from the face to the edge and not needing edgespot alignment.

If you want the fireman theme maybe you can have edgespots with a line thru that so if you line up the chips it looks like a ladder with rungs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom