Ceramic decisions, decisions

Chawks45

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I was leaning heavily to Tiki Kings for a new cash game set when I ordered three different samples from BR Pro Poker earlier in the week. Now that they arrived today, I'm not so sure.

The Tropic Oasis chips look way better in person to me. I really like them and am now thinking Tiki second and Desert Sands third. Am I nuts?

IMG_4753.JPG

BearMetal

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I was leaning heavily to Tiki Kings for a new cash game set when I ordered three different samples from BR Pro Poker earlier in the week. Now that they arrived today, I'm not so sure.

The Tropic Oasis chips look way better in person to me. I really like them and am now thinking Tiki second and Desert Sands third. Am I nuts?

View attachment 492762
although I might like the look of them as well something gets me about the fact that the edge spots aren't aligned and how they're trying to replicate shaped inlays.

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
These are all on the same blanks, I believe...so it’s just a matter of deciding the design. Go with what you love.
Edit: I see the tikis have plaques...maybe that helps in the decision

churlbut18

Full House
Reaction score
These are all on the same blanks, I believe...so it’s just a matter of deciding the design. Go with what you love.
Edit: I see the tikis have plaques...maybe that helps in the decision
I’m not sure that’s entirely true. Would need others to weigh in. But if i recall, the Desert Sands were much grittier like sand paper vs Tikis or Dia de los Muertos which do share the same blank. I could be wrong though.

JRald07

Two Pair
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the same sample sets you did, along with Dia de los Muertos. The Tikis were up there until I realized the edge pattern was not continuous. Ultimately I went with DDLM as I liked their design the best.

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
I’m not sure that’s entirely true. Would need others to weigh in. But if i recall, the Desert Sands were much grittier like sand paper vs Tikis or Dia de los Muertos which do share the same blank. I could be wrong though.
Ahh, I thought the Nevada Jacks were the only one that was gritty. I have the smoother DDLMs, and I love the texture.

Chawks45

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, good people. All good points, especially the edge alignments. I'll sleep on it.

Appreciate all of you for taking the time to respond.

Fingerz

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I just ordered some Valentinos and Tropic Oasis to compare. Awaiting their arrival. I don’t think I’m going to do the chip alignment, Valentinos @ $.20 per, it doesn’t really bother me. I’ll wait to see the samples.

BearMetal

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some Valentinos and Tropic Oasis to compare. Awaiting their arrival. I don’t think I’m going to do the chip alignment, Valentinos @ $.20 per, it doesn’t really bother me. I’ll wait to see the samples.
I think that's the right idea... If the aligned edges isn't necessary, then don't get it. Everyone has their own preferences and nits

BR Pro Poker

Pair
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Ahh, I thought the Nevada Jacks were the only one that was gritty. I have the smoother DDLMs, and I love the texture.

There are 3 Nevada Jacks stock designs - Skulls, Desert Sands & Saloon Series. These are all printed on the textured Nevada Jacks blanks. All other designs are done on our ABC (smooth) blanks. :)

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original Nevada Jacks skulls and Desert Sands chips (pre-ABC ownership) were both made using the same rough-finish textured blanks.

tabletalker7

Full House
Reaction score
I recommend getting samples of the Sun Fly ceramic hybrids. The tropical oasis chips are printed to look like those - why not check out the actual ceramic chips that are supposed to be like those?

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
First, narrow it down to the blanks that feel best and stack best.
Next, my opinion is to pick a design that takes advantage of what ceramic can do, like the Tiki’s or the DDLM’s, instead of of a chip that’s copying the look of clay chips.
But if you decide you get a ceramic chip pretending to be clay, for the love of god, get aligned edge spots.

Kimbap

Sitting Out
Reaction score
OOF same I'm stuck between tropic oasis and the valentinos but Nevada Jacks are slowly growing on me.

wolfpack

Flush
Reaction score
I always liked the desert sands but from the stock chips Nevada jack skullls are still my favorite

Colquhoun

Flush
Reaction score
Oh man I thought all ceramics from brpropoker felt the same. I don't have samples of either one, but I have a sample of tiki kings.
Basically, there’s two finishes, smooth and textured. Check post #14 above from BRPro about which chips are textured.
The smooth feels like a very fine (400-800 grit) sandpaper. It’s more similar to the Chipco chips.
The textured has very fine cross-hatching that has a more pronounced “tooth” to the feel. A bit rougher and more grippy. It’s similar to the textured inlays on Paulson chips. A closeup photo of the textured:
344896E3-398B-4BCA-B125-7A0B912B9DE5.jpeg

The artwork tends to be a bit sharper on the smooth. I think people here are pretty divided on which finish they like better. I like the smooth, it’s buttery soft without being slippery.
However, I recommend getting samples of both before making a final decision on which finish you prefer.

wolfpack

Flush
Reaction score
I like both finishes. I have one set of textured and one smooth ceramics.

BearMetal

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a really hard choice for me. On the one hand, I'm all about textured; just love the feel. They're not too slippery and they hold up better to hand oils than the smooth.

... But these are ceramics with full face artwork. And don't you want your artwork to be as bright/crisp/clean as possible?

wolfpack

Flush
Reaction score
these are textured sunfly, they feel the same as nevada jack skulls in texture. I am happy with te printing of the art.

wpchip3.jpg

skulls
nj.jpg

Kimbap

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Basically, there’s two finishes, smooth and textured. Check post #14 above from BRPro about which chips are textured.
The smooth feels like a very fine (400-800 grit) sandpaper. It’s more similar to the Chipco chips.
The textured has very fine cross-hatching that has a more pronounced “tooth” to the feel. A bit rougher and more grippy. It’s similar to the textured inlays on Paulson chips. A closeup photo of the textured:
View attachment 565945
The artwork tends to be a bit sharper on the smooth. I think people here are pretty divided on which finish they like better. I like the smooth, it’s buttery soft without being slippery.
However, I recommend getting samples of both before making a final decision on which finish you prefer.
Thank you for letting me know! I'll be sure to order samples

Top Bottom