Ceramic chips and edge design (1 Viewer)

Frode789

Two Pair
Reaction score
When adding a "bar" on the edge (but not having it continue onto the front/back), will the color "smear" onto the front or backside of the chip? Is this unavoidable?

Like this:
screenshot-2021-03-09-231924-jpg.652597

It doesn't look smeared here, but bad quality on the image though..

Anyone with an example of this in their ceramic set?

If anyone has experience with the ceramic chip creation process.

Last edited:
I have never seen or heard of any "smearing" effect from rolling edge printing to the face of a ceramic chip.

You can eliminate the possibility with a well designed rolling edge. By that, I mean continuing some of the base colour that wraps around while adding contrasting text and small graphic elements that don't quite reach the edge.

I have never seen or heard of any "smearing" effect from rolling edge printing to the face of a ceramic chip.

You can eliminate the possibility with a well designed rolling edge. By that, I mean continuing some of the base colour that wraps around while adding contrasting text and small graphic elements that don't quite reach the edge.

Ok, hmm strange.. I got a message from the guy that is supposed to produce the chips for me. Maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing..

our group buy on the ceramics. I had no issue with any bleed over, and my edge spots were darn near perfectly aligned

and the ones that are not might be 2% of the total chips and they are close enough I won't complain

20210216_213220.jpg
20210216_221546.jpg

I'm pretty sure the rolling edges are applied to the chips before front and back have had the faces sublimated onto the chip. So there shouldn't be any edge bleeding onto the faces.

The rolling edge is printed first, and yes, you can get bleed both ways. If not aligning images (or using similar colors where they intersect), then maintaining some distance from the edge is recommended (both ways).

See above pics for examples of both conditions.

Makes sense. Thanks guys :)

EDIT: @BGinGA
Here is a chip that has edge bars in colors that does not wrap around and continue onto the face of the chip, without any obvious smearing (at least to my eyes?). And they look to be pretty close to the edge, similar to my design proposition.

'
91%2BYN7%2BzAIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Design pC% sjetonger.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom