CBS's Bob Schieffer: Don't overlook the good cops (1 Viewer)

It's sad to see that in these times we NEED to point out that there are good police officers out there. I would have hoped that it was common knowledge. Regretfully a few circumstances as of late have brought the whole police brutality sensation to the surface again like a raised scab.
I guess it's a good thing that the media and population for that matter don't judge an entire race of people as gun-toting, drug dealing, prostitute pimping scam artists because a miniscule percentage of them commit such acts. So why don't people use the same common sense when addressing the police?
Are there bad cops? Sure.
Were their actions criminal? Probably.
This is a problem with individuals. And should be dealt with per individual. But let's not think for one second that their job is easy or even desirable. Yet they do it.
God bless the police and other emergency service workers.

Last edited:
It's sad to see that in these times we NEED to point out that there are good police officers out there. I would have hoped that it was common knowledge. Regretfully a few circumstances as of late have brought the whole police brutality sensation to the surface again like a raised scab.
I guess it's a good thing that the media and population for that matter don't judge an entire race of people as gun-toting, drug dealing, prostitute pimping scam artists because a miniscule percentage of them commit such acts. So why don't people use the same common sense when addressing the police?
Are there bad cops? Sure.
Were their actions criminal? Probably.
This is a problem with individuals. And should be dealt with per individual. But let's not think for one second that their job is easy or even desirable. Yet they do it.
God bless the police and other emergency service workers.

You make a good point; generalize anyone else and you're most likely labeled a racist. Generalize the cops and CNN puts you on the homepage.

I figure the best thing I can do is just teach my kiddo that it is OK to believe that most people are inherently good and that the bad apples truly are a minority. With our help hopefully her generation can grow up trusting the police again. I know how hard of a job they have and I don't know if I could do it day in and day out and maintain my sanity so I refuse to rush to judging every little thing they do as they work to keep us safe.

The problem isn't that we have so many cops that are truly bad. I can't imagine the actively dangerous cops are more than 5% to 10% of the total in an average force and maybe 1% to 2% of total a well managed unit.

The problem is essentially all of our law enforcement community will turn a blind eye to even the most foul deeds committed by bad police. Also, it seems a majority of cops and DAs will commit/solicit perjury and/or obstruct justice to protect and cover up the actions of the worst of cops.

I can't say law enforcement is any worse than other professions at dealing with its bad actors. And it is true that a bad doctor can kill you as dead as a trigger happy cop. But it is truly unfortunate that law enforcement as a whole seems deaf, dumb and blind to the problem. Left to fester, these issues can lead to terrible consequences.

Sadly the best I can say is the police may not be your enemy, but they often aren't your friends either -=- DrStrange

Ten things I've learned after 25 years as a cop. (I retire from law enforcement in 36 days):

1. There are a small number of bad cops. They are far less than 1 percent of the total. Media coverage (and numbers 4 through 8) convinces everyone that the percentage is higher. It's not.
2. Good cops hate bad cops. Good cops want bad cops gone right now. To them, even one bad cop is one too many. They see them as worse than the criminals, because they are criminals hiding in a police uniform.They won't protect bad cops or lie for them.
3. The "blue wall of silence" (alluded to by Dr. Strange) is a media myth that doesn't exist, and hasn't for a long time, if ever.
4. TV cop shows (mostly) suck and are incredibly unrealistic and inaccurate. But they do convince the average person that he or she is an expert in police procedure.
5. Hollywood and the media love the story of a bad cop. Every TV cop show has had a "bad cop" episode, and some have "bad cops" so often that it's a common theme.
6. Defendants lie.
7. Defense attorneys must protect their clients. That's their job. Most do it with great integrity. But when their client comes to them with no possible defense, they have only two options: plead guilty or imply the cop is wrong or lying. If it's more than one cop, they need to suggest that it's "the blue wall of silence."
8. Victims sometimes lie or forget. People who were not victims say they were. Victims sometimes change their stories in court because they fear the criminal, or get confused or terrified by being on the stand. If what they say a year or more after the event doesn't match the cop, the implication is the cop is lying or covering up something.
9. On TV, when a police officer says "you are under arrest," most characters give up immediately and place their hands behind their back. This almost never actually happens. Even lots of "nice" people will say, "No, I'm not." More common is the "f... you" response. Many fight or run. They'll either get away (if they win the fight or the chase) or file a lawsuit claiming police brutality if they lose the fight or get tackled while running away. They have nothing to lose, and might get some cash.
10. A cop can call another cop a "cop." ("That guy is a cop.") For everyone else, it's "police officer."

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom