Cat Scratching Ear Bloody (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
This was an outdoor cat we took in a few years ago, got her ear mites, fleas, etc all cleaned up

She's always been a bit of an ear scratcher and head shaker, but tonight was the first time we've ever seen blood

Anyone know what we might be dealing with?

29022.jpeg
29021.jpeg

Wife is not a vet but has 25 years in the field, she thinks it looks like a tumor from her experience. Potential biopsy??

edit: a trip to the vet is what it looks like she said, lol. Hope everything is well there

The black lump is probably a ceruminous gland cyst. (nothing to worry about). If the cat is scratching the outside of the ear , there is likely an infection deeper in the canal. A vet needs to look in the ear with a otoscope, maybe take a swab to rule out ear mites again, maybe clean the ear and place on ear meds. Not a lot of home fixes unfortunately.

Sometimes ear infections can be secondary to allergies. But they can scratch so hard their nails dig in and cut the ear flap

The black lump is probably a ceruminous gland cyst. (nothing to worry about). If the cat is scratching the outside of the ear , there is likely an infection deeper in the canal. A vet needs to look in the ear with a otoscope, maybe take a swab to rule out ear mites again, maybe clean the ear and place on ear meds. Not a lot of home fixes unfortunately.

Sometimes ear infections can be secondary to allergies. But they can scratch so hard their nails dig in and cut the ear flap

We treat our cats once per month with an application of Frontline Plus, which I believe should also keep ear mites at bay

We did change their food about a month ago, because the former food we used had a recall, might be an allergy?

She's always been a bit of an ear scratcher and head shaker, but tonight was the first time we've ever seen blood

Anyone know what we might be dealing with?
Blood is a body fluid in the circulatory system of humans and other vertebrates that delivers necessary substances such as nutrients and oxygen to the cells and transports metabolic waste products away from those same cells.

We treat our cats once per month with an application of Frontline Plus, which I believe should also keep ear mites at bay

We did change their food about a month ago, because the former food we used had a recall, might be an allergy?

It could be mites, but more likely a yeast (Malassezia) infection. Your vet should do an ear cytology and can then prescribe an appropriate medication. Frontline Plus does not treat ear mites - fleas only. If your cat goes outside, a better medication would be Revolution Plus or Advantage Multi - these both treat fleas, ear mites, and other internal and external parasites.

It could be mites, but more likely a yeast (Malassezia) infection. Your vet should do an ear cytology and can then prescribe an appropriate medication. Frontline Plus does not treat ear mites - fleas only. If your cat goes outside, a better medication would be Revolution Plus or Advantage Multi - these both treat fleas, ear mites, and other internal and external parasites.

She was outside when she found us, but we keep all three cats indoors, so she hasn't been back out since

Thank you for offering guidance!

Has the cat been swimming in the ocean or fresh water lakes? My labs get ear infections after swimming in the ocean if I don’t clean them out really good with alcohol cleaners. They hide when I get the bottle out but it’s for their own good. They just don’t talk to me for a couple of hours. I’m not sure how well cats respond to alcohol cleaning….

Has the cat been swimming in the ocean or fresh water lakes? My labs get ear infections after swimming in the ocean if I don’t clean them out really good with alcohol cleaners. They hide when I get the bottle out but it’s for their own good. They just don’t talk to me for a couple of hours. I’m not sure how well cats respond to alcohol cleaning….

She is indoor only, and is not a fan of swimming lol

Jenn cleaned out kittehs ears and used coconut oil to help with the issue

Seems to be improving, will monitor her and take to vets if issue persists

Dont want to scare you and it is hard to tell from a picture, but my sisters cat looked the same (only bit bigger) , it was skin cancer...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom