Monroe St. Card Room - First Design (1 Viewer)

As much as I wanted to fight it, I think I should move away from the grey text (as folks wiser than me had already suggested). Here's today's draft. In the interest of getting more sleep, hopefully not too many more tweaks are needed.

back-1.png
back-5.png
back-25.png
back-100.png

front-1.png
front-5.png
front-25.png
front-100.png

I ***LOVE*** Black, and this is too much black.

Need edge spots and different background inlay colors.....

You are putting these up for opinions...I'm offering mine.

I'm not much of a designer, but I really liked the look of the Stardust Mansion chips. With that color scheme in the back of my mind, I downloaded inkscape and started playing around.

This is what I ended up with. The building is the tower at Hoboken Terminal in the great state of New Jersey.

I was thinking of maybe acquiring a small quantity of THC solids (white; red; green; black) as cheaply as possible to build a small cash set for me and my son. Even well worn chips would make my son's day with labels with his name of it.

Do you think what I've done will translate well to labels? Ideas for improvement? (As as aside, I'm not sure I would've believed you if you told me when I signed up for PCF, that one day I'd be up until almost midnight working on designing labels. Thank you?)

View attachment 337845View attachment 337846View attachment 337847View attachment 337848
Those look sweet, I'd like a reverse of that red/black make up. Looking for a 50,000 denomination with those colors

Now interviewing fonts. I was able to use a program called Skyfonts (available here) to access the really cool Google Fonts repository. This vastly increased the number of interesting fonts I had access to in Inkscape.

I think I'm set on the font for "Monroe St. Card Room", but I was worried the font used for "Hoboken, NJ" wasn't quite right. Here are three choices I'm considering at the moment -- (i) Teko; (ii) Staatlitches; & (iii) Anton.

front-100-anton.png
front-100-staat.png
front-100-teko.png

This is almost too much fun.

For the denom-only side, make sure you center the number alone. Then add your small dollar sign to the left as a separate element.

Otherwise, I think your text sizing is getting better/more readable.
Or remove the dollar sign altogether (from the denom-only side)
The number being off center really bothers me.

I prefer a dollar sign for cash chips, but I think if you stick with the dollar sign it needs to be the same as the value. Either outline or don’t, but I don’t like the $ with no outline and the value with an outline. I personally don’t care for the white outline on the red denom, but would be better if consistent

Still struggling with the font for "Hoboken NJ". I like Staatliches & Voltaire. Aclonica is nice, but the J dipping below the line troubles me a bit

front25-aclonica.png
front25-amaranth.png
front25-barlow.png
front25-rambla.png

front25-staat.png
front25-teko.png
front25-voltaire.png

I like staatliches
I like dollar sign on all denoms on side A $1 - $100
I like the white outline on side B with dollar written under all denoms
I liked the suits you had before. What about doing a single suit watermark on each denom on side B

I liked the suits you had before. What about doing a single suit watermark on each denom on side B

Thanks for all the thoughts. I liked the suits too, but when I printed them it was hard to see to see the clubs & spades. I would like to incorporate them. Let me play around with this idea.

(My family used to visit Minot a bunch when I was a kid. We were cross border shoppers from Saskatchewan.)

View attachment 341126
I was wondering how that would look myself. Would you do that for all denominations? Or, just the $100.

I would put the word "DOLLARS" under all the denominations. I would also use the same Red text as the denom.
If you wanted a little more colour in your inlay, your "MONROE ST." etc. could be something other than white, as long as there's high contrast between it and the black background.

If you wanted a little more colour in your inlay, your "MONROE ST." etc. could be something other than white, as long as there's high contrast between it and the black background.

That's interesting. Something else to play around with. My initial instinct is that a light yellow (probably lighter than below) will work best.

back-100-orange.png
back-100-teal.png
back-100-white.png
back-100-yellow.png

Then wait 2 or 3 days without touching and re-look

The putting away for a few days will be the issue--I think Inkscape is my new addiction! But you're right, the distance will be helpful in seeing things to tweak. Really appreciate everyone's feedback.

The putting away for a few days will be the issue--I think Inkscape is my new addiction! But you're right, the distance will be helpful in seeing things to tweak. Really appreciate everyone's feedback.
It’s been fun watching this evolve.

Here's my Friday night draft.

chip_set_9-20-19.png

(The "Jersey Jack Design" thing isn't real -- but thought I might get more street cred, if it looked like it came from a real designer. I really am too easily amused by this project. ;) Thank you everyone for all your help! I think I'm getting close.)

Okay, maybe this is an addiction. But I was troubled by how the "dollar(s)" printed on the backside. Is adding a banner in order to create some whitespace too much? (And can someone take away my laptop so I can get a goodnight's sleep?)

back-1.png
back-5.png
back-25.png
back-100.png

If I keep it, a few thoughts: the outline of the banner probably should be thicker, and the banner should be lower.

EDIT: Replaced with images with versions reflecting the thoughts above. I think it helps the look.

Last edited:
Sorry to do this twice in one day. Softened the yellow. Resized the denominations on the front side (mostly the $1 & $5), and moved them a bit. Added in the banner element.

chip-set-9-20-19-v2.png

Last edited:
I love the evolution of this design!

I would move the spade to 25 and the heart to 100. I think that way you can get the entire denom within the suit graphic.
I think the red denom on the side with the clock tower for the $1, $5, and $25 could be moved a little bit to the left, so that it's in the middle of the black field between the roof steeple and the edge of the inlay.

Looks like you're having a lot of fun with the design! :tup:

Some very nit-picky observations, FWIW. I feel like the designs with the tower are a little unbalanced - crowded around the edge with lots of open space in the middle. The text is nearly running into the tower image and denom:

1569074723509.png

I think you could make the outer ring text a hair smaller without making it illegible, just to get a bit of separation from the other graphical elements of the design.

Similar comment on the latest mock-up, the positioning of $1 and $5 denom leaves a big gap around the ring, which looks a little off considering the rest of the perimeter is jam packed with text/graphics. Then the $25 & $100 fills the gap.

1569075020334.png

Have you mocked up one where you maintain a black ring around the perimeter (like the suited examples), and shrink the tower a little so it's contained in that inner ring and not running off the page? I really like the font you're using for the name & denoms in these last couple of mock ups.

All just my 2¢, take them for what they're worth (about 2¢ ;))

Last edited:
Adjusting the space a bit, and adding an outer ring for comparison. I think I prefer the tower touching the edge.

mockup-tower.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom