Monroe St. Card Room - First Design (1 Viewer)

Project complete.

Thank you!s to: @allforcharity; @Gear; @Eloe2000; @Dodger; @Irish; @Marhault; @Ethan; @LinkyBabe; @JustinInMN; @ranger764; @Justin Olson; @CellarDoor85 -- hopefully I got everyone.

A few thoughts:

1. I'm not sure when in this thread I went from fooling around with Inkscape to actually deciding I would finish the project. It happened seamlessly and without much conscious thought. New members be aware!
2. Oiling the chips really helped. The greens and blues went from dullish to bright. The greys had a subtle improvement (and are probably the most consistent chips). The oranges have the widest range of chip quality -- some really great; a couple show their age. Overall, though, the complete batch was higher quality than I was expecting. Thank you, @allforcharity.
3. I got better applying the labels, but I should've realized there's a learning curve. @Gear generously adds extras, but I think it's wise to buy a few more of the smallest denomination (& start with the smallest denomination). If you want to reposition a label, doing it right after applying--not the next day. I don't think there's anything I need to redo at this point, but I would've felt less pressure if I had bought a few more extras.
4. My young son is pretty thrilled with the project. We worked on the design together and he helped apply the labels. We got to talk about a number of good subjects during the course of this. Such as:

a. Expressing One's Opinions. He insisted on how the front denomination looks even though it was less popular on the site. (He wanted to register for an account so he could debate folks here.)
b. New v. Used. He initially wasn't sure why we picked up used chips. We had a nice conversation about costs of things and how used chips suited our needs/goals for this project.
c. Creativity & Hard Work. He is trilled with the chips and feels proud about the work we did together. When we were talking about range of quality in some of the chips, he said he "loved them all" even the ones that showed their age.

Final thought: The kindness of this forum appears to know no bounds. Thank you everyone!!!

F5E8F015-4453-4CBF-AE9C-C5AEB74F5989.jpeg
F5E8F015-4453-4CBF-AE9C-C5AEB74F5989.jpeg
80E656F3-8629-4E72-A39C-619121C08C70.jpeg
9E5CD624-5B4D-433C-AAF7-86DC2A540FF1.jpeg

They came out great, congrats! I'm doing a similar relabel project with my boys, its been fun. Nexgens though not paulsons lol.

Your project turned out awesome! I'm glad that I could have helped in any way. Perhaps this set and others will convince others that a solid colour set (whether cash or tourney) can be useful and esthetically pleasing! (and many times, more affordable)

Appreciate the tag, but I am pretty sure this was all I said ;).

#TeamBlueDollar

But mad respect to how quickly you picked up inkscape, I tried the same thing and just couldn't get passed the hump.

If I find myself on Monroe Street in Hoboken, I will be sure to just yell "where's the poker game" until you find me ;).

(and many times, more affordable)

There's a cheese store near me that has a sign that says something to the effect of: "You'll remember the taste of the mozzarella long after you forget the price." The exact sign is here. (If you're in Hoboken & like mutz (short form of mozzarella around here), it really is worth a stop.)

This is one of those situations too.

There's a cheese store near me that has a sign that says something to the effect of: "You'll remember the taste of the mozzarella long after you forget the price." The exact sign is here. (If you're in Hoboken & like mutz (short form of mozzarella around here), it really is worth a stop.)

Man, Italian Delis are the nuts. We only have a couple around here, but they are very good.

(I suppose we have nice "cheese stores" nearby as well because of the sinners across the St. Croix.)

The evolution of your design was fun to follow. I’m sure even more so for you and your son. The final result turned out great. The solids were a great choice. I’m really digging that $100.

I hope you and your son always cherish the time you spend together. I think spending time on joint projects with their fathers helps boys to become better men.

Thanks for sharing a bit with us.

I hope you and your son always cherish the time you spend together. I think spending time on joint projects with their fathers helps boys to become better men.

I think it's hard to overstate how nice this really was -- and would encourage others to do something similar with their kids. My son has immense pride in what we did & that his opinion on how the design evolved really mattered to me. I think his positive feelings about this will last a long time.

So...did you need a frac? :tup:

My son is still adapting to a cash game v. tournament poker, but I don't think a frac is needed right now. (Up until this point, we played T1000, T2000 or T3000 tourneys on my Dia de los Muertos Chipset.)
  1. He was initially puzzled at why the blinds weren't changing. To give him some variety, we experimented with 1/2, 1/3 and 2/5.
  2. I was originally planning on having him "pay" for his stack out of his winnings from our tourneys. (We don't play for money. We play for points, and are keeping track of the points to crown a point-leader at the end of the year.) I was thinking we could take X points per $1 chip from our scorecard to "buy in" and at the end of then give X points per $1 chip at the "cash out". I may have to let us freeroll for a bit because he didn't like the idea of having to give up his points to play for cash.
    • Maybe next year I should have a starting amount of points (e.g., 1000), and have him "pay" for tourney entries too so that tourneys don't look subsidized. (Not sure why exactly I think "paying" something to play make sense in the first place; I guess I think this will instill more thoughtfulness in the game.)
  3. After a cash game session, he was puzzled for a moment because I didn't give him the first place prize (since he had more chips). He was cool with it once he saw the math on Google Sheets.

I forgot to post this info:
  • I have at least 32 versions of the chips on my computer--I was generally incrementing the version count each day I worked on them, as well as when I made big shifts in the design direction. (It's possible there's versions hiding in some other folders.)
  • I have 4 versions of them labelled as "near final". Only 1 final.
  • I printed 17 different versions in the process of tweaking.
  • This number of drafts translates into a decent amount of hours spent on this. It was not trivial.
Let this be a warning to those looking to dabble a bit with Inkscape. You might get sucked in. (I'm not a designer or in a remotely related field so had a learning curve to contend with as well.)

This is all so cool! Props for getting your kid involved in a project and starting him down the road to a gambling addiction!!! LOL! JK.

I need to give this Inkscape a try. Although I see I need to download software and I use a company owned PC which doesn't allow software installation. I guess there's no cloud based version?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom