Cash set advice (3 Viewers)

celticnoel

Two Pair
Reaction score
So im looking to purchase a 500 or so cash set. Maybe a little more if its within within budget, i really dont wanna go past £250. First off is it doable to get a decent cash set within my budget? Im not looking for ceramics (just dont like em sorry ceramic fans) so are china clays my main option? Id love to afford a full custom set of Paulsons (maybe one day) but for just now a nice cash set will do. Im looking for the following denominations
. 25s
1's
5's
And possibly a few 25's

I see someone selling Aria chips but shipping is from Australia and they're just outwith my budget

Any help appreciated, cheers

China clays or nicer slugged chips are gonna be your options really. @ABC Gifts and Awards has some unlabeled 8v China clays left, so that might be worth checking out. But I think if you want labeled chips without doing it yourself, pretty sure Apache is your only option. I speak to all of this as a US buyer though, so I am unsure of what prices are like for Australia. It’s tough to say if 500 chips is enough, given the size / stakes / breakdown of the game and chips are unknown.
Hope this helps some

Misread this thread subject at first and pictured the below store, but where you could get a cash set and pay it off week-by-week for the next few months.

GEnvcA0.png

Majestics and Royals from Apache are within your budget but shipping may kill your budget. Build a few tables for the folks here and you'll be able to afford your Paulson's in no time ;)

For breakdown, I'd go with this assuming you're playing .25/.50 blinds...

100 0.25
200 Dollars
200 $5

If you're capped at 500 chips. If you can spring 600 I'd go:

120 0.25
200 $1
200 $5
80 $20 or $25

If the games end up playing bigger outside of your 80 high denom chips, the old @BGinGA favorite is that $50 or $100 bills play.

Happy hunting!

How many players and what are the stakes you are playing? Limit or no limit? How many big blinds do your players buy in for? Answers to these questions will better guide us in giving you advice on the breakdown of your set. Here is a thread with a lot of great info: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ut-a-cash-game-chip-set-5c-10c-to-5-10.30897/
Typically 6 players, max 8
Its no limit
Buy ins usually between £40-£50 each player
Blinds .25p/50p
Cheers

Hey, welcome.

I see someone selling Aria chips but shipping is from Australia and they're just outwith my budget
The Aria's are also ceramic's btw. I was going to point you in the direction of @BonScot who has a £ cash set for sale right now, but they are also ceramics, so not 'up your street'.

Could be worth exploring the offer from @allforcharity , or even the guys at Apache (I was super close to buying my cash set from them but got lured into the world of Paulsons!). Import Fees / taxes have some work arounds.

Ahh the dreaded import fees and taxes! Thanks for the offer though
You can avoid the custom fees if you know how...

Keep an eye out for ASM chips as they tend to go for around 75c on here. You played with my ASM set so hopefully you can remember what they were like (photo below in case you can’t)

In terms of a breakdown (for no limit) I wouldn’t have any more than a rack of quarters. Any more than that and they become annoying.

.25 x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 160
$20 x 40

That would give you £1825 so should be plenty.

488BBEFA-45C5-451E-B129-CE752BE30770.jpeg
C6211AA0-E0F7-4B16-9407-E70A8DE8AEE9.jpeg

Last edited:
You can avoid the custom fees if you know how...

Keep an eye out for ASM chips as they tend to go for around 75c on here. You played with my ASM set so hopefully you can remember what they were like (photo below in case you can’t)

In terms of a breakdown (for no limit) I wouldn’t have any more than a rack of quarters. Any more than that and they become annoying.

.25 x 100
$1 x 200
$5 x 160
$20 x 40

That would give you £1825 so should be plenty.

View attachment 492449View attachment 492448
Yeah i remember those chips well Tony, really liked em, as for the breakdown you suggested i think thats spot on!

I would definitely look at Royals from Apache even though shipping and custom fees will probably land you over budget. I think they’re awesome for the price and you could get blanks and get custom labels.

I would definitely look at Royals from Apache even though shipping and custom fees will probably land you over budget. I think they’re awesome for the price and you could get blanks and get custom labels.
I had a look at them and your right they look amazing, ill need to try and get myself some samples i try putting out there a request for samples see if anyone is willing to let them go at a price, cheers!

So ive not had much luck on my quest for chips, im willing to up my budget to £300 inc shipping. Ive recently just stumbled upon my shuffle stack of Monaco's and i must admit i love everything about these chips. Unfortunately the fracs im looking for on Apache are out of stock. Im lookin for the following breakdown or as close to it if anyone is willing to let theirs go?

100 x .25's
200 x 1's
175 x 5's
25 x 25's

As an FYI, you can definitely build a Paulson set, including fracs, for $1 per chip if you are patient and willing to relabel chips yourself. The $1 per chip price point does include the labels and all U.S. shipping. Just keep an eye out for full racks at $100 or less. The chips won't be minty, but they won't be donuts either.

If your budget is £300, I'd guess you can procure at least 400 Paulson chips, which would be a fine start and certainly playable with your group. You can add-on later, if needed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
As an FYI, you can definitely build a Paulson set, including fracs, for $1 per chip if you are patient and willing to relabel chips yourself. The $1 per chip price point does include the labels and all U.S. shipping. Just keep an eye out for full racks at $100 or less. The chips won't be minty, but they won't be donuts either.

If you're budget is £300, I'd guess you can procure at least 400 Paulson chips, which would be a fine start and certainly playable with your group. You can add-on later, if needed.

Good luck.
Now thats the kinda response i was looking for, im loving the Monacos in fact im riffling some as i play online as i type this! If i could get a set of those id be over the moon, cheers.

Quick example of sub-$1 Paulsons, The Chip Exchange still has $1 & $5 Paulson Horseshoe Cincinnati's available here. That'd be a reasonable start to a "value" set.

Monaco chips are either real clay (Gemaco, lammer mold) or cheap slugged plastics. Majestics and Royals are china clay. No similarities between the three chip types.

Its the Paulson Monacos from Apache im talking about, just love everything about em.

"Paulson" is a stretch, I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but they are manufactured by GPI that owns Paulson, but they are not Paulsons.

"Paulson" is a stretch, I believe. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but they are manufactured by GPI that owns Paulson, but they are not Paulsons.
Yeah im sure your right but they are listed under Paulsons on Apache, nevertheless i love em just need to try get them now!

Depends on how you define it. They’re actually branded as Gemaco lammer mold chips but look, feel similar, and even smell like Paulson chips and they are manufactured by GPI.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom