Cash game: single button blind (1 Viewer)

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Two of the local (home) cash games have recently gone from traditional 1-2 no limit to a single $5 blind posted by the button. Action starts with the person who traditionally would have been the SB. Straddles are posted by the SB if desired.

Both these games run big for a 1-2 game with most starting raises in the $15 to $25 range, higher on occasion.

There are no dealers in either game, so no tipping, so no need for $1 chips.

Most hands, the game runs no bigger than it did before, given the usual preflop raises. Multi-way limped pots are clearly bigger, but have never been all that common. Given that these games already ran big for the given blinds, there hasn't been much increase in the average pot size, or $$ won or lost.

It tends to speed up play and simplify the betting process, and there haven't really been any obvious downsides. The new rule seems to be liked by most playres.

Two questions: Has anybody played using this rule? Is there a downside that we haven't run into yet?

L

It should play a little bigger than even a $1/2 game that plays big unless the $1/2 game has straddles on most of the time. The stack sizes though will be a bigger factor in this than the blinds.

The only real downside play wise I can see is the the traditional SB and BB should play a lot better since they are first to act but don’t have any money in the pot. They should be folding a much higher percentage of the time. Also the Button will defend a lot more, but having position makes that even more justifiable.

If the game is full of action junkies and loose play it won’t really matter.

I could see that if you have a lot of nits, the lack of any OOP money committed to each pot could kill action. Not going to happen in this game.

Do people not nit it up? The whole concept of NL is you have a range advantage and position vs the dead blind money so you attack pre.

Take away the position advantage and I’m tightening way up pre knowing I’m OOP post

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom