Cash Game Questions (1 Viewer)

SirFatalx

High Hand
Reaction score
I currently am planning to host a few regular cash games soon and had a few questions regarding on hosting them with a 6-10 player max single table.

I currently have a cash set that currently consists of:
5c x100
.25 x200
.50 x100
$1 x250
$5 x350
$25 x100

I am planning on playing .25/.50 and possibly 1/2 games. I was looking at a buy in amount of $20min-$100max for the .25/.50 games and $40min-$200max for the 1/2 games. I was going to look into micro stake games as well since I have 5c chips available but was not sure what type of stakes I should playing with those. (ex. 5c/10c)

What would be a good starting stack with these types of cash games and would the buy-in amounts and chips be ideal for these types of games? Also looking for any general advice on hosting cash games as well starting out. I have only hosted tournaments in the past.

Thank you.

Sean is saying you don't need both 0.25 and 0.50. If you could sell them, buy a few more $5s and maybe a couple of $100s

You have plenty of chips for 0.25/0.50 with $100 max buy-in for 10 players

50¢ chips are superfluous.

25¢/50¢ strating stacks
12 x 25¢
17 x $1
n x $5 (n= 0 to 16, depending on the buyin)

$1/$2 starting stacks
20 x $1
n x $5 (n=4 to 24, depending on the buyin)

In both cases, rebuys in $5 chips until gone, then in $25 chips. Don't give out more 25¢ or $1 chips... There will be enough on the table. Let them make change from what is already there.

I would not allow 20xBB as a minimum buyin. I'd suggest at least 50 big blinds as the minimum.

Starting stacks and rebuy amounts are one of the most important hosting decisions you will make. Stack size is often more important than the blinds.

Shallow buy-ins are beneficial to weaker players. If you are going to lose it all, better to get several buy-ins of fun rather than one buy in and done.

Also shallow buy-ins protect weak players who get lucky and build a stack. This keeps the better players from buying in deep enough to stack the deeper stacked player. Expect a lot of complaints about this because the best players are often itching to bust the guy on a lucky run.

Shallow buy-ins reduce the benefit from a hit-n-run. If you can't lose your stack in one hand, then you aren't so apt to go home.

Shallow stacks would be $20 - $40 for a $0.25/$0.50 game or $40 to $100 for a $1/$2 game.

Deeper stacks - say 200bb plus - make for a more skilled poker game. Significant decisions at every street. Just be mindful that "more skilled poker game" means the better players will have an even greater advantage.

I host both ways. Some nights are shallow buyin nights and a few games are match the biggest stack games where 500+bb stacks are common later on. As might be imagined, I get different player pools for each game. I also host a lot of spread limit games which are even more tilted towards the weaker players because luck is a bigger factor.

Learn what makes your players happy. It isn't always what they ask for. Be mindful the loudest people in your player pool are the strong players who want to slaughter the rest of the gang. Just because two guys are always asking to make it $2/$5 late at night is no reason to do that. In fact I would NEVER raise the stakes in the middle of a game. Even with a unanimous vote to change - the weaker guys often are not willing to speak up and say no. You are the host, you set the terms of the game.

Most important, have fun what ever that is for your crew -=- DrStrange

Starting stacks and rebuy amounts are one of the most important hosting decisions you will make. Stack size is often more important than the blinds.

Shallow buy-ins are beneficial to weaker players. If you are going to lose it all, better to get several buy-ins of fun rather than one buy in and done.

Also shallow buy-ins protect weak players who get lucky and build a stack. This keeps the better players from buying in deep enough to stack the deeper stacked player. Expect a lot of complaints about this because the best players are often itching to bust the guy on a lucky run.

Shallow buy-ins reduce the benefit from a hit-n-run. If you can't lose your stack in one hand, then you aren't so apt to go home.

Shallow stacks would be $20 - $40 for a $0.25/$0.50 game or $40 to $100 for a $1/$2 game.

Deeper stacks - say 200bb plus - make for a more skilled poker game. Significant decisions at every street. Just be mindful that "more skilled poker game" means the better players will have an even greater advantage.

I host both ways. Some nights are shallow buyin nights and a few games are match the biggest stack games where 500+bb stacks are common later on. As might be imagined, I get different player pools for each game. I also host a lot of spread limit games which are even more tilted towards the weaker players because luck is a bigger factor.

Learn what makes your players happy. It isn't always what they ask for. Be mindful the loudest people in your player pool are the strong players who want to slaughter the rest of the gang. Just because two guys are always asking to make it $2/$5 late at night is no reason to do that. In fact I would NEVER raise the stakes in the middle of a game. Even with a unanimous vote to change - the weaker guys often are not willing to speak up and say no. You are the host, you set the terms of the game.

Most important, have fun what ever that is for your crew -=- DrStrange
This is some great information! I had never thought that way about shallow stacks before. Thanks!

I would go with the following breakdown, which would allow you to play anything from 10c/25c up to $2/$5 comfortably:

5c x100
25c x200
$1 x200
$5 x200
$25 x200
$100 x 100

Plus it's a nice even 1k chips! The low number of 5c chips would makes 5c/10c a little awkward with 9+ players but it's manageable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom