Cash game hand - how badly did I play this (1 Viewer)

Perthmike

Straight Flush
Reaction score
So I’m playing $1-3 and sitting on about $450. Guy on my immediate left has been encouraging the table to straddle, but for the most part he is a fairly face up, basic thinking type young player, he’s sitting on about $400. Guy on my right straddled from utg+1 so just for fun I double straddled, as the table was a fun one. I never ever straddle normally. Straddler has about $190 to start the hand.

I look down at my hand and see :ac::kc:. Guy to my immediate left bumps it up to $36 and it folds around to the straddled who flats.

Straddlers flatting range at this point imo is super wide, he’s very passive and frankly awful and stationy.

I’d estimate the raisers range to be 910s+, 77+, and maybe as low as AJs but more likely AQs.

Back to me with $84 in the pot, what should I do?

Last edited:
Raise it up!! Since SPR is pretty small I think you can make a smaller sized raise. Bump it up to $85-100.

Ok well 3 for 3 agree, I did in fact bump it up to $120. I’d certainly do that with qq+, so I figure I’ve got to chuck in a few slightly weaker hands and I might do the same with A5s too, but it’s a tight range overall and I think my opponent wouldn’t expect me to do it without a very strong hand.

Initial raiser flats. Straddled jammed his stack, which might have been about $190ish, I can’t quite remember.

I don’t really think anything of his jam, because of his flat and he’s kind of a maniac. I’m more concerned with villain with about $280 behind.

Decision?

Is it open for betting? You're committing yourself with a flat so I lean towards a jam. Maybe you have some fold equity vs the guy on your left.

I jammed the remainder of my $450 and it turned out the initial raiser called with kk. The straddler had q10 offsuit lol.

Flop qj9. Turn 9. River 10.

It’s about time I got lucky.

Looking back, I’m not sure I did anything wrong, with the jam. I don’t see what other options I have in that spot, but I’m wondering should I be flatting pre flop, though it seems a bit nitty.

That flat with KK is horrendous there, I’d play this pretty much exactly as you did.

Devils advocate...given that it’s three ways and stacks are pretty short, could it not be a decent flat? If you raise, there is a decent chance the small blind folds and you miss some EV from a bad player. Worst case, small blind flats, and you’ve got an easy 1/2 pot flop jam into two players on any non-Ace board.

I got to the results pretty quickly, but I’m not too concerned with the outcome.

A friend of mine at the table said that he would have just flatted the $36 pre flop.

It’s definitely a higher variance play, but I still think I should have a raising range when it comes to me with 2 callers.

Most of the comments agree with the raise to $120, so it can’t be too bad.

Once the straddler jams, an overjam feels like the only move.

I got to the results pretty quickly, but I’m not too concerned with the outcome.

A friend of mine at the table said that he would have just flatted the $36 pre flop.

It’s definitely a higher variance play, but I still think I should have a raising range when it comes to me with 2 callers.

Most of the comments agree with the raise to $120, so it can’t be too bad.

Once the straddler jams, an overjam feels like the only move.

I think many 1/2 or 1/3 players would say the same. The $36 is already a "3bet size" for these stakes. But since we are actually playing 1/3/6/12 I think it definitely calls for a 3bet/shove. Your stack is only 37.5 blinds with the double straddle on. Never getting away from AKs with that stack size.

Hero is in the 2nd straddle position. Of course he should raise with AKs - it looks fishy and should expect to get lots of action. Everything is pretty locked in after that.

As for KK playing possum in a double straddle hand - - that isn't so horrible. The blinds are invited to try a steal raise looking at all the dead money. The straddles are often inclined to raise "just because they can". That looks like four chances to trap a lot of money and get into a very low SPR situation. I like the play.

In practice it worked great for KK. That hand is ~55% to win the main pot having put in 33% of the money and 2-1 to win the side pot putting in half the money. The actual results sucked, but the player with KK got into a hugely profitable EV situation. It was likely his best single play of the day.

That was my first and last straddle of the day.

I hate straddles lol.

I jammed the remainder of my $450 and it turned out the initial raiser called with kk. The straddler had q10 offsuit lol.

Flop qj9. Turn 9. River 10.

It’s about time I got lucky.

Looking back, I’m not sure I did anything wrong, with the jam. I don’t see what other options I have in that spot, but I’m wondering should I be flatting pre flop, though it seems a bit nitty.

Player dependent IMO. And how inclined you are to gamble and embrace variance.

I added my name to the $2/$5 list and had to wait an hour for a seat to open at the $1/$2 table after three dealers had called in sick yesterday. I bought in for the $200 max and tossed in a red chip after sitting down UTG. The dealer asked me if I was posting or straddling. I thought what the hell and told her the $5 was a straddle. All nine players limped - $50 in the pot. I looked down at K9HH and threw in a green chip that got three callers. $150 in the pot. The flop: 10,6,4 with two hearts. Both of the blinds had folded pre, so I was the first to act. I bet half of the pot. The player to my left immediately moved all-in for $200. The two remaining players folded. I called and the board bricked out. I tapped the table and said nice hand. The other played said he had nothing and flipped over Q7HH. I took down the $490 pot with K high. Sometimes I am that good.

Seems like a pretty standard 3bet pre, and an easy call off of the shove, worst case here the majority of the time you're up against a weaker ace and a pair.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom