Cash Game Cash Game advice (1 Viewer)

Shaner24

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I want to start hosting a cash game between my friends but what's the best way to ease us into this process and get everyone use to playing cash instead of tournament?

Start with stakes and buy-ins and games hat everyone is comfortable with.
Probably small stakes and buy-ins so those that go broke feel like they can buy=in again
Depending on your players perhaps as low as 0.5./0.10 with $10 buy-ins

Oh... and a hot dog roller

Start a cash game after enough tourney players bust. Bingo bango - cash game time.

My low-level advice: base your stakes off of what you are used to playing for in a tournament. So if you do $20 tournaments, set your blinds so that a $20 buy in gets you something like 100 or 200 big blinds (so, .10/.20 or .05/.10 accordingly). This means that essentially the same amount of money is "at risk", but it's done in a different format.

From a chipping perspective, maybe consider non-denom chips for a bit before you get your stakes dialed in. That way you don't pay out the nose for a microstakes set only to find that your players really want to play $1/$2.

Also, remind people that a cash game is not a tournament game. Sounds silly, but sometimes people need to be reminded that they can cash out whatever they have in front of them when they are done playing rather than feeling they have to get reckless with a "short stack". Maybe that's desirable to some, but I think it leads to a negative pattern of bad feels.

My low-level advice: base your stakes off of what you are used to playing for in a tournament. So if you do $20 tournaments, set your blinds so that a $20 buy in gets you something like 100 or 200 big blinds (so, .10/.20 or .05/.10 accordingly). This means that essentially the same amount of money is "at risk", but it's done in a different format.

From a chipping perspective, maybe consider non-denom chips for a bit before you get your stakes dialed in. That way you don't pay out the nose for a microstakes set only to find that your players really want to play $1/$2.

Also, remind people that a cash game is not a tournament game. Sounds silly, but sometimes people need to be reminded that they can cash out whatever they have in front of them when they are done playing rather than feeling they have to get reckless with a "short stack". Maybe that's desirable to some, but I think it leads to a negative patte

Great stuff! Thank you!
rn of bad feels.

Run 2 all in or fold tournaments, then open a .05/.10 PLO game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom