Cases - torture test (5 Pelican, Nanuck, Apache, Mono, Amazon) (1 Viewer)

Machine

Full House
Supporter
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out my chip count and storage options and I found this video, I thought others might enjoy.

I don't think the video is very scientific but it does illuminate some perception bias I've read in this sub forum.

The Video

What do you think?

TLDR:
71557B5E-3331-4825-AB34-17D701DE76D2.jpeg

To summarize his issues with the Apache case: latches could pop open. It also failed the 2nd story egg drop test because it was missing a layer of foam. And a single birdshot penetrated the case in the shotgun test.

The one thing I didnt really see compared is price to durability. So it depends on what kind of chips you are going with here. Also the amount of chips you are looking at, because as these cases get bigger the difference in price also widens. For example for 1000-1200 chips you are looking at the Nanuk 930 which goes for $136 on amazon (currently) on the Apache side you are looking at the 4800 which is currently $60 at Harbor Freight. That is less than half the price and it really didnt do that poorly on the test. Throw on a lock or two and the risk of the latches popping open is somewhat mitigated.

So if you are looking at some china clays or some ceramics IMO get the Apache. Its still a solid case. but if you are looking at high dollar chips then yeah you probably want to spend some more to protect your investment. All that being said there are plenty of people on this sub who get an Apache with a full set of Paulsons so your mileage may vary.

I think that is a great point, along with the video only covered the smallest sizes, it could be changes in material or ratios for different size storage. I found it to be one of the less dredge-ie videos as pouring through so many became very redundant.

I think that is a great point, along with the video only covered the smallest sizes, it could be changes in material or ratios for different size storage. I found it to be one of the less dredge-ie videos as pouring through so many became very redundant.
No that's completely fair. I'm just kinda impressed he actually did a proper video. A lot of the 'reviews' and 'tests' I've seen its some guy trying to hold the camera with one hand and test with the other. I'm surprised the Pelican was as low as it was, for the price on those things (and the reputation) I'd expect it to have done better. I was a little disappointing to see the amount of flex it had during the car based tests. Especially compared to the others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom