Carenage Club - Cash Game Set (Order Placed! Sample Sets?) (1 Viewer)

Sean

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Looking to create a cash game set for the fictional Carenage Club (located in St. George's, Grenada) (my father was in the US foreign service, and we were stationed there when I was a kid in the 80s; I remember walking along the waterfront area known as the Carenage, including on "movie nights" when we went to the one VHS/Betamax movie rental place on the island (no TV) to rent a newish movie). I have a tourney set (see my media page), which are for the Grenada Poker Classic, hosted at the Carenage Club.

The home cash game is small stakes: looking to account for either a $0.10/$0.20 or $0.25/$0.50 game with a 100 bb buy-in. That would mean a set with $0.10, $0.25, $1, $5 and $10 (or higher).

Currently have two mockups, with a temporary inlay (hoping to hire an artist to design the inlay with the poker club's logo and the various denominations). Looking for a bit of a Caribbean theme in terms of colors, and, in particular, like the idea of the $5 chip being red, green and yellow (the colors of the flag of Grenada).

First mockup:

Second mockup:

Some inspirational pictures (of the Grenada flag, so you can see the colors, and of the Carenage itself): http://www.pokerchipforum.com/media/albums/grenada-inspirational-pictures.1193/

Thoughts on the color schemes and edge marks greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions for artists.

Thanks!

Nice color and spot combinations so far. I like design one better than two, except the $10.

That second mockup $5 chip is really vibrant, quite like it! And yet I like the first mockup of your quarter chip with the darker edge spots :)

It looks like you're trying to work some UVA colors into that $1. ;)

I agree that version two is my favorite, but I'm not super in love with the $10. Also have you considered making the $10 a $20?

looking to account for either a $0.10/$0.20 or $0.25/$0.50 game
Don't go 10c/20c - if you do that, then you'll probably want between 200-300 dimes, and that's a bit excessive on your lowest denomination - and this coming from a guy that loves fracs. Instead, take it to 10c/25c. That way you can get fewer dimes and put more money into your workhorse denoms.

Also, don't discount 25c/25c blinds. That eliminates the need for a 10c chip entirely, and all it's costing anyone is 15c per orbit. It's also a bit of a nice step between your proposed 10c/20c and the 25c/50c blinds which can play significantly bigger when speaking of microstakes/small stakes.

As for the line-ups you've proposed, I like what you've done, but the biggest change I'd make is bump the $10 chips to $20 instead. The yellow base is frequently used for $20's so you wouldn't need to change the chip..just the denom.

I like both line-ups. What I would ask is whether the colors in Grenada tend to be more bright or subdued. If subdued, go with your top line-up. If bright, go w/the bottom. I tend to recall Caribbean colors being brighter, but the island of Grenada may be different.

The only other feedback I have is on the $5 chip. This might just be to my eyes, but whenever I see a base red chip with yellow spots, the chip reads as more brown than red. The mandarin red helps to alleviate that effect/illusion. That may or may not come into play for you, both depending on your eyes, and depending on the actual colors of the flag of Grenada.

Sound advice from Psypher1000, I do a .25/.25 game all the time with a $40 to $100 buy in and everyone has a great time..
Get a sample set of the colors before your final choice and a mold sample set, they look and feel different in hand.

My sets usually look like this for a 9 player game,
100 - .25 - 12 per player
100 - 1 - 12 per player
100 - 5 - 12 per player
40 - $25 (or 20) - 1 per player (the remainder of players buy-in and re buys)
10 - $100 - (Re-buys, if you guys get a lot of re-buys)

To fill racks you can also go with:
100 - .25
120 - 1
130 - 5
40 - $25 (or 20)
10 - $100

I like the Design 1 quarter and dollar and the design 2 five and ten (changing to a 20 is a good idea, it takes only 2 fives to make a ten..no need for ten.)

I agree with the notion to go with .25/.25 as stated above.

And I REALLY like your top row with a tweak to the fiver maybe (the green spot seems a little off). Very nice start though. Love the quarter.

Last edited:
All, thanks for the feedback!

I agree that version two is my favorite, but I'm not super in love with the $10. Also have you considered making the $10 a $20?

Yeap, I might be trying to work in some UVA colors ;)

You're not the only to suggest going with a $20 chip in lieu of the $10, and it makes a lot of sense (and really ups the range of the chips).

As for the line-ups you've proposed, I like what you've done, but the biggest change I'd make is bump the $10 chips to $20 instead. The yellow base is frequently used for $20's so you wouldn't need to change the chip..just the denom.

I like both line-ups. What I would ask is whether the colors in Grenada tend to be more bright or subdued. If subdued, go with your top line-up. If bright, go w/the bottom. I tend to recall Caribbean colors being brighter, but the island of Grenada may be different.

The only other feedback I have is on the $5 chip. This might just be to my eyes, but whenever I see a base red chip with yellow spots, the chip reads as more brown than red. The mandarin red helps to alleviate that effect/illusion. That may or may not come into play for you, both depending on your eyes, and depending on the actual colors of the flag of Grenada.

@Psypher1000, thanks for the thoughts (including on the denominations for play; having run this game for a few years, you're right, it takes a lot of dimes to run a .10/.20 game; might be time to give a .10/.25 a shot just to let the group try it out and see how they like it)

On the colors, agreed brighter is probably better than subdued (in particular, for the $5 chip, which I think the Mandarin Red will help keep from washing out too brown).

@SixSpeedFury - good call on a sample set. I actually ordered one years ago, and have a CPC chip set (a tourney set of solids), so I should see if I can find that sample set to help with the color lineup

Here's a tweaked lineup with a $20 chip in lieu of the $10 below. Still not sure about the edge spots on the $20 - I think the Canary yellow is important to keep it a bit more vibrant (I have yellow CPC chips, and they're pretty dark in terms of a yellow) for a "Caribbean" set, but not sure about what edge colors compliment it well.

This.

Having a $5 and a $10 is a bit of overkill, might want to consider a $20 instead of a $10 to widen the range of the games.

I really like the imperial blue in some form or shape w/that canary base! The one w/purple & blue is pretty nice too.

I agree, the lavender and light blue that you posted above looks the best to me.

Like the lavender and light blue best so far out of your mockups. I've included it here with a few more for thought.

dcdff34e-c2ed-42a2-b691-a91607596bcb.png

All, thanks for the feedback

@dew4au , thanks for the additional mockups! I'm liking the lavender and light blue a lot, though the Blue/Dayglo Pink is pretty striking, and the Retro Lavender/Light Blue is a vibrant combo too

I hadn't used any dayglo/bright selections for the other chips --- are those something that should be used consistently across a set? Or is it OK to go dayglo for just one or two chips? ("OK" as in aesthetically pleasing, not that I'm worried about getting arrested for incorrect color selections!)

I hadn't used any dayglo/bright selections for the other chips --- are those something that should be used consistently across a set? Or is it OK to go dayglo for just one or two chips? ("OK" as in aesthetically pleasing, not that I'm worried about getting arrested for incorrect color selections!)

First off, you wont get arrested for bad color combos! You just have to make sure that you can live with your choices for what will likely be the rest of your life. You haven't used any other dayglo colors in the other chips so the set as a whole has a muted feel. Using Mandarin Red for the $5 makes it a bit more vibrant, but I think it still works. For consistency, you should probably keep the $20 on the muted side and stay away from dayglo.

From the Non-dayglo colors, I'd say that Lavender an Light Blue is still my favorite, followed by Lavender and Light Green.

THREAD UPDATE: So I've spent the last couple weeks working with Steve (Quicksilver-75), and he has been completely awesome. We worked through a few different inlay possibilities, until we selected a tallship on the water (as you can see below). The ship represents Grenada's history as an important source of spice (i.e. nutmeg), and the Carenage is the waterfront of the bay in St. George's. The ship is flying flags for Independent Grenada, British Grenada, and French Grenada.

We went with bright (but not dayglo) colors, with the $5 in the middle of the array in the colors of the Grenada flag.

I really couldn't be happier with how these came out, so wanted to share them with the forum and brag about how amazing Steve was working on this project. Enthusiastic, quick to respond, great ideas, really smart feedback on colors/edge spots/design options.

What do folks think?
Full lineup 4 (final 11.18).png

What do folks think?

I think some detail on the ship might get lost at that size, particularly w/how the light reflects off the texture of those ships.

Consider bumping the inlay to the next size up to let the ship shine a little more?

Also, as much as I enjoy the chips/bases/spots/colors you chose - particularly that $20 - I'm curious about the addition of a $50 that doesn't seem to satisfy any need that the $20 and $100 can't fill. If you just want a $50 chip, all good - we've done far stranger things here. Just pointing out that other chips fill that role.

@Psypher1000 - thanks for the thoughts! Good thought on the sizing of the inlay, I'll circle up with Steve and think about that (issue mainly is, I don't think any of the larger-inlay mold options work particularly well with the design).

For the $50 - yeap, I know it's not really filling much of a need. I honestly just wanted a chip in UVA colors to include in the mix. If I were going more with what's necessary, then agreed that the $50 is a pretty superfluous level. But gotta love that blue and orange!

For the $50 - yeap, I know it's not really filling much of a need. I honestly just wanted a chip in UVA colors to include in the mix.

"I just wanted it!" is all the reason you need. I bought a rack of snappers w/my cash set. It might see play once a year, if that. Serves no need, but I love'em.

As for the mold options, you don't need a different mold. The 1" inlay will work perfectly fine w/that mold. Here's a couple examples of what they look like at 1", juxtaposed w/one at a 7/8" diameter.

IMG_1271.JPG

Love the set, $50 chip is my favorite I just don't like the fact that it is a $50 chip. Could you make a $500?

I don't really mind a $50 chip. While you very rarely see them in play consider that it maybe more a function chip than anything else. I've always had a fifty for one reason. It's a token/plaque that I can offer a cash game chip leader to free up chips for a rebuy/late buy.

looking to account for either a $0.10/$0.20 or $0.25/$0.50 game with a 100 bb buy-in.

Would you consider having the dime chip or the $50 be a non-denom?

I like having a non-denom in the set; I use it for the small blind. In my quarter game, it's half a quarter. In my dollar game, it's fifty cents (and I don't put out the quarters.)

If I ever get baller enough, in my $5 game, it'll be a $2.50 (Part of why, in my Boardwalk set, I bought pink for the non-denom.)

Otherwise, I agree with moving the $10 to a $20, the art looks good (and I agree some detail might be lost, but that's not the worst thing), and I'm all in favor of adding whatever chip you want just because you want it.

First off, great work @Quicksilver-75! I love the inlay. I agree that 1" on CSQ would do well to enlarge the ship and get the most from the artwork. Make that $50 a ND and call it a day. The part of the lineup I'm not in love with is Blurple on the $20, but that just might be my natural bias against the color. Looking good!

^^^ this, well done @Quicksilver-75 :). Second, third etc... the 1" inlay for showing off the art.

Also, I am late to the party, but I would also echo dispensing with the 10c. I started with a 10c/25c game and within one night, the 10c was virtually obsolete as no-one folds SB of 10c, ever, and just chucks the 25c straight in. We changed to 25c/25c and never looked back. This will free up funds for chips you really will need/use :).

Also, agree with $50 being Non-denom for reasons stated.

Looking good though mate and enjoy :).

I am doing a CSQ set as well, probably in the same run coming up soon :). 1"inlay.

All, thanks for the feedback! In particular, very good suggestion by @Psypher1000 (and echoed by others) about increasing the ship detail by a larger inlay size. Steve and I circled up, and he increased the ship graphic size by 11% (effectively about the same increase in size as going to the 1" inlay) while shrinking the text and denoms. It actually looks a lot more balanced that way, and we've gotten extra detail for the ship without sacrificing much at all on the other pieces. That lets us stick with the 7/8" inlay size --- putting aside the graphics question, I really like having that ring of clay that comes from using a 7/8" inlay in the Circle Square mold.

I definitely hear the concerns with the 10c chip, but at this point for my regular group, the smaller denomination does see play, and the microstakes work for folks. If I get another game going with some more serious players (or the current group decides to step up, perhaps even just to a .25/.25 game with 100bb buy-ins), then the dime just gets phased out, no harm no foul. I figure I'll retain the optionality, and cost be damned ;)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom