Cards with barcodes/ system for tracking cards- interest?

Nex

Flush
Reaction score
The choice of the type of barcode can conditionally be decoupled from that decision.

I would not go as far as to "invent" a new barcode system just to shave off a few more millimeters because of the compatibility problems you create. Two characters encoded with Code128 is still reasonably compact. But encoding a verbose "SEVEN OF DIAMONDS" instead of simply "7D" (or a pure numeral value for barcodes that don't support text) is the other extreme and should be avoided just as well. "7D" isn't too cryptic either, and since people will anyway have to write custom software to make use of the barcodes, they can absolutely be expected to be able to read a short documentation on the barcoding system you end up choosing for your cards.

The advantages you get from a shorter/simpler barcode (one that holds less characters) is that you can scale up the barcode a bit to improve resilience against dirt, scratches and printing imperfections. Not just that the bars are thicker - the fewer lines, the fewer potential failure points, so to say. And if testing shows it's already resilient enough at a smaller size, you have more freedom regarding the card artwork. A smaller, simpler barcode also looks less distracting.

spellholly

Pair
Site Vendor
Reaction score
The choice of the type of barcode can conditionally be decoupled from that decision.

I would not go as far as to "invent" a new barcode system just to shave off a few more millimeters because of the compatibility problems you create. But encoding a verbose "SEVEN OF DIAMONDS" instead of simply "7D" (or a pure numeral value for barcodes that don't support text) is the other extreme and should be avoided just as well.

The advantages you get from a shorter/simpler barcode (one that holds less characters) is that you can scale up the barcode a bit to improve resilience against dirt, scratches and printing imperfections. Not just that the bars are thicker - the fewer lines, the fewer potential failure points, so to say. And if testing shows it's already resilient enough at a smaller size, you have more freedom regarding the card artwork. A smaller, simpler barcode also looks less distracting.
The point of increasing resolution I think is a very good one. Compairing the codes of 7D vs "7 of Diamonds" if you scaled 7D up 2x width wise you could probably assure you wont miss scan it- and I think as you are saying it wouldn't even be as big.

mnebesny

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.baronbarclay.com/bar-coded-cards-for-duplimate-or-handydup/
1616713500847.png

These are made for automatic bridge dealing machines, but at $2.75 a deck, the price is pretty good...

spellholly

Pair
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Top Bottom