Cardboard Chip Boxes Group Buy Help (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So, I recently sold 1600 chips and used up all the white cardboard chip (Type 1 below) boxes I had laying around. I looked for more online, and found them ranging from $1.50 to $10 each not counting shipping.

Surely, we could set up a group buy for cheap boxes. For Pete's sake, they can't cost 25¢ each in quantity. If we go with the thicker cardboard cases like ASM uses (Type 2 below), they could probably be shipped flat and cheap.

I would be willing to put in some effort, but I don't know where to source them (and I've never run a group buy). It looks like this was considered about a year ago but never got off the ground, so I am opening the floor up for discussion and suggestions.

Type 1:

Type 2:

In for a hundred or so of either. I've recently depleted my supply as well.

In for enough to help get a volume discount and some legwork when there is a game plan :D

Last edited:
In for a hundred or so of either. I've recently depleted my supply as well.

In for none, and hope this falls apart. I've been hoarding the little white boxes for years as an investment and was planning to sell them at for $10/each and retire. A group buy will destroy my dream.

On second thought, I'd likely take at least a few dozen if not closer to one hundred.

If we go with the thicker cardboard cases like ASM uses (Type 2 below), they could probably be shipped flat and cheap.
Be sure to flatten one out and see what re-shipping boxes they'll fit in. We'll also need to know how many of them flattened can fit in such a box.

white cardboard chip (Type 1 below)
If we go with the thicker cardboard cases like ASM uses (Type 2 below), they could probably be shipped flat and cheap.
the thicker variety won't fit in a SFRB if they are the same variety i've seen. just something to consider.

I'd greatly prefer the Type 1 boxes, one reason being the reason @links_slayer mentioned - he's right about the fit in a SFRB. The thicker brown cardboard type is too thick to fit in a SFRB.

These boxes can also be unfolded and folded flat as well, in 3 separate pieces - top, bottom, and chip divider. The white chips boxes I've seen are just held together by cardboard flaps that stay in place after folding.

Paulson uses these white boxes to deliver chips, but I have no idea if they make them as well.

Missed opportunity -- I remember a few years back playing poker at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas, and the poker room was bringing some brand new $1 chips to the dealers in these white boxes, and they unloaded the chips into the dealer tray. I bet the poker room just threw the boxes out after that, but don't really know. If I knew then what I know now, I would have asked the poker room for any spare white boxes. They probably had a dozen or two.

Last edited:
The Type 1 boxes always disappear because they get used to ship chips out, especially since they fit in SFRBs. If volume priced I'd be in for a few to replace the ones I've sent out.

I have quite a few of the Type 2 boxes I've gotten from CPC. Think the last time I ordered 40 and they shipped flat in a long/flat LFRB with plenty of room to spare. I've mainly switched to using these for chip storage now, but I would be in for more probably is a GB went that route.

So, I recently sold 1600 chips and used up all the white cardboard chip (Type 1 below) boxes I had laying around. I looked for more online, and found them ranging from $1.50 to $10 each not counting shipping........

Type 2:

maybe @David Spragg ?
I'm sure he doesn't have anything else going on......
Type 2 box would be my preference.

Definitely interested in either style. Could use at least 50 of these.

I don't know where to source them

Best bet is to talk to vendors who use those boxes to ship chips, and ask who their supplier is.

You can try to find a new supplier - lots of companies around manufacturing boxes. I've designed a few for specialty products, in the past. But the companies that currently manufacture those boxes for chip vendors already have the cutting dies laid out and will have no up-front cost to put that together; that will make a big difference in the Group Buy price. (You'll still need big enough quantity to overcome the basic Set-Up cost of putting in the dies and stalling the line, etc.)

Note also that Type 1 will probably cost significantly more than Type 2... Type 2 is single-wall corrugated which is just cut, and will ship flat.

The Type 1 boxes I've had are cut, glued, and folded by the manufacturer - and you'll be shipping a lot more "air" when sending empty boxes, because they don't flatten without breaking the glued seams.

Might even be worth exploring the shipping options, because Type 1's may have a very large box, but with very low weight - shipping by weight may work out better.

I know @justsomedude was looking into a company local to him to manufacture some chip boxes. I wonder what became of that. Andrew?

I called numerous times - left voicemail messages - sent emails - filled out their "request a quote" form 3 times. And no one EVER followed up with me, which seems odd.

It's these guys...

http://warnekepaperbox.com/

At one point I started wondering if they make (Type 1) boxes for Paulson, which is why they won't get back to me. :(

If some one else wants to grab the reins and try calling them again - I will not be offended.

I called numerous times - left voicemail messages - sent emails - filled out their "request a quote" form 3 times. And no one EVER followed up with me, which seems odd.

It's these guys...

http://warnekepaperbox.com/

At one point I started wondering if they make (Type 1) boxes for Paulson, which is why they won't get back to me. :(

If some one else wants to grab the reins and try calling them again - I will not be offended.

Are they a supplier for Type 1 (as your post implies)?

Are they a supplier for Type 1 (as your post implies)?

Not that I know of, but it looks like they have the facilities to make it.

Type 1 is, based on my research, referred to as a "paper box" or "paperboard box." Type 2 is a "folding cardboard box." I simply went Googling for local paper box manufacturers and stumbled upon the Warneke people. Their sample photos/lines indicate they could fabricate a Type 1 box.

I LOVE getting chips in the mail that comes in one of these boxes because I have NEVER had enough. I would most definitely beer in for a bunch.

Good luck guys, I hope you can get it figured out, I would love to have some.

All the box companies I worked with were still on a traditional sales model. Mind you, this goes back to the 1990's, but I imagine it's still dominant:

Individual salespeople for the company build relationships with manufacturers and importers who will need to order large quantities of boxes and/or will have a lot of repeat business. The salespeople are paid on a commission basis, so small orders and one-offs have little or no value, unless it's liable to lead to a longer/larger business relationship.

The way around this will be to find a box company that makes certain "standard" boxes that they sell all the time... but they'd need to have some method for retail sales. An unusual box doesn't typically get sold at retail, and the odds of finding a standard box that works well for chips is... Slim.

It may be surprisingly tricky to pull off. It might be easier to find a Chipper who's local to the place, and stop by and chat up the front desk.

Not near me. But I notice this photo on their front page:

upload_2017-4-17_14-28-41.png

That's a box die! The blades are formed and attached to plywood or hardboard of some sort. When it goes in a press and is mashed against a sheet of paperboard, the taller/sharper blades will cut the paperboard, while the shorter/flatter blades will score the paperboard to make folding easy. The die pictured cuts and scores four boxes at once from a single sheet of stock.

The whole piece of plywood gets filed in a "library" of dies, and will be pulled into use again when more orders come in for the design.

Last edited:
It may be surprisingly tricky to pull off. It might be easier to find a Chipper who's local to the place, and stop by and chat up the front desk.

They are literally 15 minutes from me. I told the other thread I would drop in the front door, I just haven't made the time yet.

I need to make this happen.

UPDATE: My Friday morning is fairly open. I have it on my calendar to drop in. Will keep everyone posted.

They are literally 15 minutes from me. I told the other thread I would drop in the front door, I just haven't made the time yet.

I need to make this happen.

UPDATE: My Friday morning is fairly open. I have it on my calendar to drop in. Will keep everyone posted.
Good deal. Andrew, you may want to take the chips off first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom