Card mold - quality? Comparison to Apache CC? (1 Viewer)

grelco

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Reading the forums people seem pretty sold on card molds around here. I have a sample stack of blank Royals and also got one of the Pharaohs to test out - I am happy with their quality for the price. I am not knowledgable enough to be that picky yet.

But the flexibility of card molds is pretty appealing - is there a way to access a small sample stack of these for quality comparison? I just have no idea what they may feel like, and they seem elusive without buying a whole set. I assume I can't go wrong with Royals, but what leads people to choose molds instead? Appreciate any input!

I assume I can't go wrong with Royals, but what leads people to choose molds instead? Appreciate any input!
You definitely can't go wrong with Royals, and buying blanks let's you make your own labels for a customized set.

But CM chips are a whole new level of customizability. They are dye sublimated on the whole mold, so there's no label. You can get some really nice "shaped inlay faux effects" with them. Combine that with full edge spot alignment/customizations and a price per chip that's below even China Clays, and you have a cheap option for a fun, customized set.

CM chips can have color uniformity issues, especially in the cards mold recess. And I've heard (but can't confirm) that with weekly use, they definitely start to show some wear. Also, artwork can come out blurry, almost dithered looking, so you have to be aware of that if you have "busy" graphics.

Royals:
  • Weird china clay smell
  • Require oiling
  • Moderate customizability
  • 43mm is harder to find storage for
  • More expensive than CM
Cards Mold
  • Lots of customization
  • No smell
  • Graphics/colors can have constancy issues and quality issues
  • Cheaper than Royals
  • Could wear quickly
Something else to consider is "blank" mold chips with a label. The artwork is much clearer, and you still get great customization options.

Last edited:
Reading the forums people seem pretty sold on card molds around here. I have a sample stack of blank Royals and also got one of the Pharaohs to test out - I am happy with their quality for the price. I am not knowledgable enough to be that picky yet.

But the flexibility of card molds is pretty appealing - is there a way to access a small sample stack of these for quality comparison? I just have no idea what they may feel like, and they seem elusive without buying a whole set. I assume I can't go wrong with Royals, but what leads people to choose molds instead? Appreciate any input!
get a sample set of a few different kinds of card mold designs, they are quite different from CC. If you are doing your own design talk to your designer about the medium, they come out really different.

is there a way to access a small sample stack of these for quality comparison? I just have no idea what they may feel like, and they seem elusive without buying a whole set.
I was in the same boat and posted a wanted ad for samples in the classifieds here. Multiple people reached out right away, and I had samples in a few days. Highly recommend if you want samples.

I was really surprised by the quality— they’re very nice. I’m currently going down some other routes, but I think they’ve effectively ruled out China clays for me at this point. The only things CCs have going for them over the cards mold chips are ease of purchase and speed of delivery, in my amateur opinion.

I was in the same boat and posted a wanted ad for samples in the classifieds here. Multiple people reached out right away, and I had samples in a few days. Highly recommend if you want samples.

I was really surprised by the quality— they’re very nice. I’m currently going down some other routes, but I think they’ve effectively ruled out China clays for me at this point. The only things CCs have going for them over the cards mold chips are ease of purchase and speed of delivery, in my amateur opinion.
^this. Just post a wanted ad, maybe offer to cover the shipping. People will send them to you. I'd send you a bunch, but I sent all of mine to someone else :p.

The only things CCs have going for them over the cards mold chips are ease of purchase and speed of delivery, in my amateur opinion.
I believe this is true, especially since Tina Hybrids are a real thing; solves both the dye sublimation issue, and the grainy graphics issue.

I used to own a Set of China Clay for 2 years before I found PCF.

And the first set that I bought here are Card Mold.

For me, there's no comparison between CC and CM both in prices and quality, CM win them easily but YMMV

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom