Canadians: where do you buy your tsp (phosphate free)? (1 Viewer)

TheDuke

Full House
Reaction score
On Amazon.ca I see:

Red Devil TSP90
Savogran TSP-PF
Sunnyside phosphate free TSP
Saman TSP eco

Anyone have experience with any of the above products?

Any recommendations that can be picked up at the local Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc.

All I have found so far is actual TSP - which I've read is a no-go for hot stamps.

Thanks

I have done TSP, regular bristle electric toothbrush, and thumb over stamp with no problem. But the general consensus seems to be "never let TSP or TSP substitute touch the hotstamps!".
I don't think that's actually the consensus about phosphate free TSP and hotstamps. See below.

No, it should be fine. I've cleaned thousands. Though be careful which cleaner you use. Metasilicates are okay, but I've heard actual phosphates are not.

I use the same stuff with hot stamps in better and worse condition without issue. Though I tend to mill mine off so I may be a bad judge of quality...

Working magic on these hot stamps

View attachment 327310

i did the same thing. no damage to the hotstamp.

Yep. No damage to hot stamps. Even the hot stamps that were nearly disappearing are still there.

Using the 2.5L harbor freight ultrasonic. Distilled water. Temp 100° F. 45-60 seconds. Agitating with a wooden spoon. 3/4 tbsp Red Devil TSP. Filled just under the max fill line on the ultrasonic. Just started so only did a barrel at one time that first batch. On a couple of the chips there is still some filth in the grooves like you can see on the outer edge of the center chip here. May test a couple and see if I can get it out, but it’s not terrible and didn’t want to risk the stamps.

View attachment 327322

1. Heat 2 cups of distilled water in a clean measuring cup in a microwave for about 3 minutes.

2. Pour the heated water into the tank of the ultrasonic cleaner.

3. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of Lundmark "TSP" sodium metasilicate in the hot water.

4. Add 6 more cups of distilled water to the ultrasonic cleaner, for a total of 8 cups. I found that this gave me something close to the 110 F temperature that I wanted to use.

5. Plug in the ultrasonic cleaner, and turn on the built in heater if the temperature isn't yet up to 110 F. Turning on the ultrasonic transducers will heat the water even faster if necessary.

6. Put 40 chips in the chip barrel cage.

7. mine did not have a ton of gung on it so i spun em for 30 seconds each batch.

same as the OP description. :tup:

A few racks done and zero issues. Uploading pics really kills the color quality on this forum. They look amazing.

View attachment 327400View attachment 327399

Back to the original query... anyone know where to buy this locally in Canada?

Last edited:
Just tested out the ultrasonic on 2 racks of hotstamps with the Red Devil product from Amazon (sodium metasillicate). It does NOT damage hotstamps.

Beats the hell out of hand scrubbing chips.

I think my dog might be traumatized from the sound of the ultrasonic when it was activated, but I've got clean chips with very little effort.

Barrel of dirty, cleaned, oiled.
PXL_20210313_214154534.jpg
PXL_20210313_214222607.jpg
PXL_20210313_214335608.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom