Tourney Can your chips handle a 30 person tournament? (1 Viewer)

Can your tournament set handle 30 players?

• Yes

Votes: 62 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters

NotRealNameNoSir

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Gosh, I love the idea of running larger charity games, using 3 or more tables, but its tough to build that kind of tournament set on anything but cards-molds. I just wanted to see how many of you have the chips to handle a 30 person tournament. Let me know the breakdowns of your sets too and what you like/dislike, I want to know what to aspire to in terms of numbers.

I know some of you have dragon hoards, curious what percentage that is. I've got a set of non-denoms bullshit slugged Crown & dice chips and I don't want to get rid of them until I have a set that can handle the bigger game.

I just picked up 1000 chips for a future-proofed cash set and I'd love to get a tournament set, but feel silly buying anything that can't handle the biggest game I'd like to run. Is this a fallacy in thought? That's the beauty of a tournament, making it an event and inviting more people into the fold. My players have no interest in a sit-n-go.

Last edited:
I’ve got 3 that can handle 50. My normal monthly game is 28-36 players with rebuys. The CPC set was added to after this picture, and has another 400 coming soon.

B6AE2492-F8D4-4DEE-8499-AAA86DD5B8D0.jpeg

Literally last night I was going through all the math to figure out how many I can invite to my birthday tournament next month. I'd already sent out the invitation, and I have 15 replied yes so far.... was thinking I could max around 3 tables of 27 players...

But then I counted my biggest tournament set and... oh boy (I'm the one that answered "It's complicated" above lol).

I do have a cards mold (as in, no mold hybrid) tournament set that was supposed to arrive this week, but now that it's delayed I will be using a combination of 2 tournament sets to make this work. The good news is that both sets share the same colors for T25, T100, T500, and T1000.. and I was really lacking in the T500 and T1000 category.

I'll have to announce at the beginning of the tourney that there are 2x sets of a couple of the denominations, but they are clearly the same color and shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Happy Chinese New Year to those who celebrate... while my half-finished chips sit waiting for their moment to shine :rolleyes:

P.S. My tourney structure for this event:
Buy-in $140 + $10 bounty
Starting 14,000 chips
Extra 1,000 chips for being on time
Max 27 players
Starting stacks [8x T25] [8x T100] [6x T500] [6x T1000] [1x T5000] = 15,000 chips

For 27 players I'd need:
216 T25's
216 T100's
162 T500's
162 T1000's
27 T5000's

For color-ups later in the tournament I need:
162 T1000's
49 T5000's

I have 1500+ in 3 sets that can easily handle 10 each plus rebuys. Sadly, all my chips are blank right now because I'm waiting for my turn in the que with Gear labels. Sorry, no massive pr0n pics.

Then theres the 2000+ super diamonds I picked up cheap in case someone wanted help with a charity event (so no good chips could walk out)

Then there's the 1600+ real OGs diamonds in my avatar. They arent set up in tournament breakdown, but I could make something work with them.

Also have 1900 milanos in cash denoms, but those could easily be made to work for a tourney

jeez, I got a lot of chips.

Incredible! I hope to have that stash some day, I want the problem to be running out of chairs not chips lol.
Be smart about it. If you just "snap buy" a 2000 chip set and have no business needing a 2000 chip set you will get mad at yourself for lighting that kind of money on fire for no reason. If you buy a 900 chip set you can do 30, and if that set is ceramics from our good friends @BR Pro Poker you can always order more as your needs expand.

Also start thinking about how you plan to pull this off. You will never get 30 people to show up for a home game. I got my 2000 chip set when the union president asked if I had the ability to run a charity tournament at the union hall. It is impossible to get 30 people to show up for a home game. It is easy to get 60 people to stick around and play after a union meeting.

Be smart about it. If you just "snap buy" a 2000 chip set and have no business needing a 2000 chip set you will get mad at yourself for lighting that kind of money on fire for no reason. If you buy a 900 chip set you can do 30, and if that set is ceramics from our good friends @BR Pro Poker you can always order more as your needs expand.

Also start thinking about how you plan to pull this off. You will never get 30 people to show up for a home game. I got my 2000 chip set when the union president asked if I had the ability to run a charity tournament at the union hall. It is impossible to get 30 people to show up for a home game. It is easy to get 60 people to stick around and play after a union meeting.
Appreciate the insight and experience. Yeah that makes sense; definitely not going to be a common experience where I'm at now but I like to be ready for anything.

I'd feel worse about buying my 1000 chip slugged set but it hooked me onto here and it allowed me to start running games again, exactly what I needed to stoke the fire.

I put together a large tournament set of the Tropicanas from the last chip room sale for my son to use for hosting an upcoming charity tournament as a school project. Will we use them more than once? Only time will tell. Worst case scenario they will sit on a shelf until I try to sell them or split them up amongst my kids.

Appreciate the insight and experience. Yeah that makes sense; definitely not going to be a common experience where I'm at now but I like to be ready for anything.

I'd feel worse about buying my 1000 chip slugged set but it hooked me onto here and it allowed me to start running games again, exactly what I needed to stoke the fire.

Dont feel bad about sluggos! they served their purpose. I carried a set of them to Iraq and we played the hell out of them. Didnt have to worry about loss or damage. They're cheap and fun.

I just wanted to see how many of you have the chips to handle a 30 person tournament. Let me know the breakdowns of your sets too and what you like/dislike, I want to know what to aspire to in terms of numbers.
I currently have seven sets that can handle at least 30 tournament players:

-- Prestige 727, 3000 chips, 9 denoms T1-T25k (12g printed plastics)
-- 20th Century, 2900 chips, 9 denoms 5c-$5000 (Paulson THC mold, 700 re-labeled add-ons)
-- Grand Championship of Poker (GCOP), 2600 chips, 10 denoms T5-T500k (Blue Chip TFP mold)
-- Empress Star, 1600 chips, 7 denoms T5-T25k (Paulson THC mold)
-- Empress Star (818-spot), 1400 chips, 7 denoms T25-T100k (Paulson THC mold)
-- Aurora Star, 1400 chips, 7 denoms T5-T25k, (Paulson THC mold, hot-stamps)
-- Star Cruises, 1400 chips, 6 denoms T25-T25k (Paulson 43mm IHC mold, relabeled)

Plus several other sets that can cover two tables.

I currently have seven sets that can handle at least 30 tournament players:

-- Prestige 727, 3000 chips, 9 denoms T1-T25k (12g printed plastics)
-- 20th Century, 2900 chips, 9 denoms 5c-$5000 (Paulson THC mold, 700 re-labeled add-ons)
-- Grand Championship of Poker (GCOP), 2600 chips, 10 denoms T5-T500k (Blue Chip TFP mold)
-- Empress Star, 1600 chips, 7 denoms T5-T25k (Paulson THC mold)
-- Empress Star (818-spot), 1400 chips, 7 denoms T25-T100k (Paulson THC mold)
-- Aurora Star, 1400 chips, 7 denoms T5-T25k, (Paulson THC mold, hot-stamps)
-- Star Cruises, 1400 chips, 6 denoms T25-T25k (Paulson 43mm IHC mold, relabeled)

Plus several other sets that can cover two tables.
M-m-m-m-monster combo, WOW.

Okay, do you strongly prefer any of the breakdowns you listed? Youre my expert.

I've never run a tourney, my players hate tourneys, I don't even have space for more than one table. But I got a 600 Aria's CM tournament set for two 8-max tables. Cause, you know, just in case. I also got the cut cards and buttons to look cool. I was tempted to order some custom Aria bridge cards as well.

I have a problem.

do you strongly prefer any of the breakdowns you listed?
If I were to build a 3-table tourney set from scratch today, I'd go with a T100-base set using 30k stacks (10/6/6/4):

300 x T100
200 x T500
300 x T1000 (30x for T100 chip-up)
200 x T5000 (20x for T500 chip-up)
100 x T25000 (12x for T1000 chip-up)
--------------------
1100 chips

Sufficient chips for color-ups of the thtee lower denominations and up to 12 re-buys (5xT1000 + 5xT5000). Also supports 2-table BBA 50k stacks (15/9/14/6) with re-buys.

The extra T25k chips allow for more re-buys or larger starting stacks, and also 2-table T500-base high-roller tournaments (10/10/7/5). Add 80x more T25k and 20x T100k for super-baller events (1200 total chips).

Lots of flexibility for 1200 chips, and can even be used as a single-table cash set (10c/20c, 50c/1.00, or 1/2) if desired.

All of my tournament sets can support three tables with re-buys for one very simple reason, I don't like people well enough to have more than 27 players over to my house.

I play at a bi-weekly home game here in the Bay Area that gets 24-30 players on average. This game has existed 15 years or more.

If I had the space at my home I'm sure I could get close to 50 players. I've also been to other home tourneys that run 3 tables. Some of the poker lists out here are 90+ players deep.

So not impossible, but I get what you're saying....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom