Can you flatten ceramics? (1 Viewer)

SemiNumerical

Straight
Reaction score
Simple question,

Can you flatten ceramics without ruining the chips?

I have a bunch of old chipcos that are warped and wanted to flatten them.
Has anyone tried techniques to flatten them?

I had a search around and only found info about flattening clay.

Any advice would be awesome!

Cheers

Ive only seen it crack the chip.

It would require a pretty hefty press combined with uniformly heating the chips to pretty high temperatures. Well outside the capability of most people.

It would require a pretty hefty press combined with uniformly heating the chips to pretty high temperatures. Well outside the capability of most people.

Curious about how they could become warped without heating to pretty high temperatures. I can’t imagine these were exposed to ultra high temps, so possibly could be unwarped by putting them in the same environment that warped them except with flattening pressure applied.

I believe flattening them can be accomplished in a similar manner to my recipe for cooking perch.

1. Get a very flat plank of birch. It is very important to find birch.
  2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
  3. Place the perch/chips on the plank of birch.
  4. Place the plank of birch on the bottom rack of the oven being very careful to place the plank in the very center of the rack.
  5. Leave the plank in the oven for precisely 23 minutes if you are within 1,000 feet of sea level. Slight adjustments may need to be made for those at higher elevations.
  6. After 23 minutes, remove the plank from the oven. With no hesitation, dump the perch/chips directly into the garbage.
  7. Buy a hamburger/new chips.
Works every time. (Although, I do not endorse throwing away chips, just fish.)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom