Can you "cold stamp" chips? (1 Viewer)

RudysNYC

Flush
Reaction score
Background: I am a relative newbie and bought a ton of spirit mold CCs but 1/3 of them are trash. I don't think I can bring myself to spend money on labelling these like I planned to. Originally I hoped to turn them into a cheap little traveling tourney set, but since I doubt these chips make it to 2021, I don't think I can bring myself to spend more to label 'em than I paid for the chips themselves.

Has anybody ever tried having a stamp made up and using a gold or silver inkpad? I found some vendors on Etsy that can make custom 1" stamps pretty cheap, and "permanent" gold stamp ink is relatively inexpensive, so figured it may be a more economical option to denominate my trashpile. If anyone's had any success with this, please let me know. If anyone's had any horrific failures trying this, also please let me know. Any help is appreciated!

People have used StazOn ink to cold stamp chips in the past, though I don’t know whether or not it works on China Clay chips.

Here’s a shot of a few stamped faux clay.

These were done a bit hastily and reflect some of the imperfections that can occur with an ink stamp.

03E10874-C874-41D8-8DA1-32B7CBDAD8D1.jpeg

Here’s a shot of a few stamped faux clay.

These were done a bit hastily and reflect some of the imperfections that can occur with an ink stamp.

View attachment 476992
This makes me pretty happy--sure it's not a CPC hotstamp, but to salvage a terrible investment on my part I think something like StazOn might just do the trick. I'm a touch concerned that my spirit molds will come out worse than the Faux Clays but only because my CCs have pretty smooth centers while the FCs have some texture to them. Either way, better than nothing. Thanks for easing my mind and the StazOn rec!

Can also use a stencil (purchased or homemade) with either a colored Sharpie, hobby paint, or air-brush paint. Personally, I'd use an airbrush (very professional results) if you have access to one.

Can also use a stencil (purchased or homemade)
Most hobby places sell vinyl letters and numbers in various sizes and fonts. May be able to use them as-is (probably costly for an entire set), or use the backing sheet as a stencil (relatively cheap).

Can also use a stencil (purchased or homemade) with either a colored Sharpie, hobby paint, or air-brush paint. Personally, I'd use an airbrush (very professional results) if you have access to one.
This was basically my first thought, using a stencil and spraypaint--until I realized I live in an NYC apartment and it would likely be a bad idea. Airbrush sounds much better, but also more expensive. Going to find some cheap airbrush kits and see what I can do. Thanks a million!

If the center isn't recessed a bit though, the chips probably wont stack well unless you're able to apply a very think coat of the gel it looks like..

Maybe you can even custom design a nice stencil if you can get it 3d printed.
This is a great idea, but unfortunately I don't even know where to begin on 3d printing. I have a feeling my best bet is to get all 5 denoms on 1 big stencil, since nobody I've found does 1x1 stencils. Unless someone can recommend a PCFer, I have a feeling my best bet is Etsy.

Appreciate everybody's help and suggestions, btw!

This is a great idea, but unfortunately I don't even know where to begin on 3d printing. I have a feeling my best bet is to get all 5 denoms on 1 big stencil, since nobody I've found does 1x1 stencils. Unless someone can recommend a PCFer, I have a feeling my best bet is Etsy.

Appreciate everybody's help and suggestions, btw!

Here are some resident 3d print and laser cutter designers
@One Eyed Dollar
@Amish Rabbi

Cold stamping actually came out pretty solid. More chips came out "okay" or better than did "crap." Used Metallic Platinum StazOn and custom stamps from rubberstamps.net

I'm pleased. Not the prettiest tournament set, but it'll keep me and my buddies playing until I can upgrade.

IMG_2335.JPGIMG_2336.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom