Can we talk about John Hesp? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Man, if this guy doesn't make you smile, you have a dead, blackened soul.
bf24953e421.jpg

It's got to be good for the sport when a total amateur like me can watch a guy at the final table and think, damn, I can play better than that! I gotta sign up!
I think it's instructive for enthusiasts like me to watch in real time how quickly a pro like Pollak was able to figure him out and exploit him.
And that huge beat by Blumstein? (I can't even call it a bad beat, btw, it was just bad.) I can't remember ever seeing a player hug another player after taking so many chips from him. It was extraordinary.
I doubt we'll see a lot more of Hesp. It doesn't seem like he's good enough at poker to go very far in many events, and frankly I'm not even sure that he'd be interested in it. But I'm sure glad he showed up this year.

Man, if this guy doesn't make you smile, you have a dead, blackened soul.
View attachment 110240
It's got to be good for the sport when a total amateur like me can watch a guy at the final table and think, damn, I can play better than that! I gotta sign up!
I think it's instructive for enthusiasts like me to watch in real time how quickly a pro like Pollak was able to figure him out and exploit him.
And that huge beat by Blumstein? (I can't even call it a bad beat, btw, it was just bad.) I can't remember ever seeing a player hug another player after taking so many chips from him. It was extraordinary.
I doubt we'll see a lot more of Hesp. It doesn't seem like he's good enough at poker to go very far in many events, and frankly I'm not even sure that he'd be interested in it. But I'm sure glad he showed up this year.
If I wouldn't have seen the title I may have thought that was @DrStrange ;)

Hesp was the biggest breath of fresh air in the Main Event in quite some time. Just seeing that there are people like that playing the game and trying to make the game FUN, that's what the game as a whole needs.

It really pains me to see people saying how he's bad for poker, he's a donk that ruins the ME if he won it, etc. etc.

The day we get 9 players in black hoodies, sunglasses, headphones, contemplating for 2 minutes what to do with their 7-4 offsuit UTG as a GTO play, that's what will ruin poker.

Last edited:
Love rooting for this guy. He is great for poker. No fat ego.

No sunglasses, hoodie, and headphones etc. I wish they would ban all that stuff in poker all together. I do at all my home games.

Talks to other players and really seems to have a great time.

Too bad he ran into a major cooler vs the other big stack.

I think more people might remember Hesp more then the Main event winner this year assuming he doesn't come back.

I agree. If you couldn't root for this guy you've lost sight of the human aspect of the game. I love to watch someone realize an improbably dream. Good for him and if he would have taken down the bracelet that would have been fantastic.

It's nice to see us Brits making it a bit more interesting... Hesp this year, Kassouf last year, who knows about next year?

He's literally made this main event entertaining to watch. He's fist bumping and just a joy to see win. We need more players like this playing...

Love Hesp. Good for the game. Fun to watch. Has the attitude we all should have. However, I get the feeling he's not quite as much of a novice as everyone is making him out to be. All they talked about was the occasional 10 and 20 pound local tournaments he plays. I bet that's not the only poker he's been playing over the last forty plus years. I bet he has a ton of experience sitting at a variety of poker games.

Love Hesp. Good for the game. Fun to watch. Has the attitude we all should have. However, I get the feeling he's not quite as much of a novice as everyone is making him out to be.

I bet it's all an act, the scheming angle-shooting double-crossing fucker.

#thebacklashstartshere

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom