Can I get away with just 50 fracs? (2 Viewers)

svickn

Pair
Reaction score
I have a home game that usually runs $0.25 $0.50 NLHE with folks buying in at $60, unlimited rebuys at $60 as well.

To buy time while I work on a custom CPC set I picked up some old ASMs with labels removed. Here's the breakdown:

• 130 whites
  • 201 reds
  • 125 greens
  • 51 blacks
I had two ideas about how I could use this set. One would be to use the greens as my $0.25s and use the blacks as $20s. The other would be to use the blacks as $0.50s and keep the greens as $20s and just play $0.50 $0.50 instead. I figure if I would normally want 100 $0.25s then having that many $0.50s would work just fine.

Thoughts?

PXL_20221123_213749198.jpg

I would probably look to grab maybe a rack of solids to act as fracs.

You could theoretically get away with 50x fracs, but you'd be having to make change with people quite often.

Using the greens as quarters would work, but I personally wouldn't choose that colour breakdown out of preference.

Wow you got these delivered already? That was quick. Still major regret not snapping these up on the For Sale post. I was trying to think of a theme or two that'd go with the A-mold. Of course by the time I thought of one or two, you had already snatched it up. Good pickup! I agree with @Colquhoun you don't need both .25 and .50 chips. Have the denoms be 4-5x larger than the last.

My regular group plays .25/.50 but I do occasionally play in 1/1 or 1/2 games. This was my plan for them, breakdown-wise. I was going to use 120 whites as $1s and 200 reds as $5s (round numbers), standard. That'd make the bank $1,120 so far.

Then I'd take 80 greens and make them 25¢ chips, and 30 blacks and make them $20 chips. That'd add $20 and $600, respectively, to the bank for the 25¢/50¢ game. I'd use these chips exclusively for these stakes.

I'd also make 40 greens into $25 chips, and 20 blacks into $100 chips, which'd add $1,000 and $2,000, respectively, to the bank for the $1/$1 or $1/$2 game. I'd use these chips exclusively for these stakes.

Alternatively...

I would create a label for the green chips that featured both "$" and "¢" on the chip (maybe make one symbol more prominent on one side of the chip and vice versa, but have the symbol on both sides), so they could act as both 25¢ chips and $25 chips. Then I'd split up the black chips similarly to how I laid out above, with 30 of them being $20 chips and 20 of them being $100 chips. Then for the 25¢/50¢ game, the greens are 25¢, and for the $1/$1 or $1/$2 games, the greens are $25, and only use the appropriate black chips for each game.

(For security purposes, I'd account for every chip at the end of each gaming session. Hopefully everyone you play with is a trusted friend, but definitely don't want someone palming a chip worth a quarter one night and then turning it in for a quick $24.75 in profit the next night!)

Assuming a single table of 10 players, blacks as 50¢ would work just fine. In theory, having only 130 whites as $1s is the more limiting factor. This gives you a total bank of $4285.50. If the game gets crazy and you need more, you can allow $100 bills to play.

Changing the game to .50/.50 and using only a few .50 cent fracs has always been a backup plan of mine.
If you have 8 players, that’s six per person. And since you should really only need one per hand at the most, why wouldn’t that be enough?
I think it’s a great plan. Though I haven’t tried it.

I picked up a couple of racks of blue A mold chips without labels a few weeks back on a whim that would work well with these chips as a frac. I almost bought these when they came available as well. Its a sickness....

Anyway. If you want the two racks you can have them for what I have in them plus shipping. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Charles

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/400-cpc-a-mold-blanks-navy-with-blue-edgespots-mint.96556/
Wow those go perfectly! Same 312 edge spots.

To clarify I never intended to have both $0.25 fracs and $0.50 fracs, I was either going to use the greens as $0.25s OR the blacks as $0.50s.

Wow you got these delivered already? That was quick.

I know, right? @jeff123 was able to get them out same day like a boss.

I picked up a couple of racks of blue A mold chips without labels a few weeks back on a whim that would work well with these chips as a frac.

Whew, you're right on two accounts. Those would work great AND it's a sickness. I'm really tempted. I'll think about it and shoot you a PM.

If you are going to play 0.50/0.50, I think 50 fracs would generally be enough, even with up to 10 people.

If you are going to play 0.25/0.50, then 50 fracs are probably enough if you've got a 6-handed game (about 8 quarters per person that get passed around). If you have 7-10, then I would consider up to 80 fracs. No single table game should need more than 100 fracs.

I used only up to 40 x 50c when I playing 50/50c or 50/$1 game.

I allocated 4 x person which is more than enough, sometime people complain having too many fracs as they usually don’t keep more than 2 each

I will use 100 x 25c when I playing 25c/25c or 25/50c. Also, 100 25c is more than enough for full table

Last edited:
I think at this point I'm just going to have to try it out and see what people think. Last night we played really low stakes, $0.01 $0.01, with family to teach them a bit about poker. I really enjoyed having SB and BB at the same amount so maybe I'll feel the same in a game at our usual stakes.

Changing the game to .50/.50 and using only a few .50 cent fracs has always been a backup plan of mine.
If you have 8 players, that’s six per person. And since you should really only need one per hand at the most, why wouldn’t that be enough?
I think it’s a great plan. Though I haven’t tried it.
Nailed it.

60 is the the rock bottom that you want to felt, you can do it, but its going to be obnoxious in a .25 / .5 game

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom