Can anyone recommend a phone with out a camera? (2 Viewers)

Not helpful, but, if it was good enough for Zack....

79A0971E-D6D9-46BF-A7A8-E32D565E017B.jpeg

Same here
As long as it isn't a former Sprint phone you will be good to go. The only problem I see is that the "bring your own phone" startup package is for unlimited service only. When it comes to getting phones that are not theirs up and running, that is EASY. I have one (OnePlus Six), my fiance has one (LG V30), and my son has one (Razer Phone). Walmart sells startup packs for $50, which include some cards for At&t, T-Mobile, and Verizon phones and a $45 unlimited plan as part of the pack. You will need to activate one of the SIM cards and change the APN in the phone (I can PM you with the procedure). Just make sure whatever phone you get has VoLTE. Straight talk just buys airtime from the big 3 and sells it to you. The big 3 are shutting down their 3G networks, and without VoLTE you will lose the ability to make calls when those networks go down.

Yes.

Probably 15+ years ago, I bought a blackberry specifically because it didn't have a camera, but it otherwise functioned exactly as any other cell phone.
Well then @moose's comment should apply, I'll have to ask.

In regards to the fit bit - will it sync to a prepaid reload plan?

As long as it isn't a former Sprint phone you will be good to go. The only problem I see is that the "bring your own phone" startup package is for unlimited service only. When it comes to getting phones that are not theirs up and running, that is EASY. I have one (OnePlus Six), my fiance has one (LG V30), and my son has one (Razer Phone). Walmart sells startup packs for $50, which include some cards for At&t, T-Mobile, and Verizon phones and a $45 unlimited plan as part of the pack. You will need to activate one of the SIM cards and change the APN in the phone (I can PM you with the procedure). Just make sure whatever phone you get has VoLTE. Straight talk just buys airtime from the big 3 and sells it to you. The big 3 are shutting down their 3G networks, and without VoLTE you will lose the ability to make calls when those networks go down.
Okay, that's helpful info, thank you. I will reach out after I talk to my supervisors and find out if they will cover the BlackBerry (and if it will support the new networks)

Well then @moose's comment should apply, I'll have to ask.

In regards to the fit bit - will it sync to a prepaid reload plan?

My last Fitbit (two years ago?) connected to my phone via bluetooth. I could see and answer calls and texts from my phone using the watch. The watch had no speakers or mic, so unless you had a headset (which I did while I was running) it was useless, because you'd have to pull out your phone anyway. The newer smary watches, like the Apple Smartwatch, definitely let you answer calls with your watch and no need to have your phone on you. I'm sure Fitbit is keeping up with the Jonses, but they always lagged behind.

Okay, that's helpful info, thank you. I will reach out after I talk to my supervisors and find out if they will cover the BlackBerry (and if it will support the new networks)
I didn't say this (I don't know what the policy is with straight talk on this) but I have moved my SIM card from one phone to another without any loss of service. You may not need to activate a second line....... ;)

My last Fitbit (two years ago?) connected to my phone via bluetooth. I could see and answer calls and texts from my phone using the watch. The watch had no speakers or mic, so unless you had a headset (which I did while I was running) it was useless, because you'd have to pull out your phone anyway. The newer smary watches, like the Apple Smartwatch, definitely let you answer calls with your watch and no need to have your phone on you. I'm sure Fitbit is keeping up with the Jonses, but they always lagged behind.
Lol it's probably that one, they're trying to budget around $75 per person, which doesnt aound like the latest Fitbit model, but I have no idea the cost of them. But essentially the carrier doesn't matter, just the bluetooth connection

I didn't say this (I don't know what the policy is with straight talk on this) but I have moved my SIM card from one phone to another without any loss of service. You may not need to activate a second line....... ;)
Hmm. Touche' :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Be warned. Before my wife had a smart phone, she had just a texter... I moved her sim to my phone and she got charged for a smartphone surcharge...for the 10 minutes it was in my phone. Sounds like you might be going backyard (to a more basic phone) so this may not apply... but fair warning.

Be warned. Before my wife had a smart phone, she had just a texter... I moved her sim to my phone and she got charged for a smartphone surcharge...for the 10 minutes it was in my phone. Sounds like you might be going backyard (to a more basic phone) so this may not apply... but fair warning.
Straight Talk's "Bring Your Own Phone" program literally does not care what phone you use. The only thing registered to you is the SIM card. Granted when I moved my SIM card it was to upgrade and I never tried moving it back, but I never had a problem moving the SIM card and losing service.

Lol it's probably that one, they're trying to budget around $75 per person, which doesnt aound like the latest Fitbit model, but I have no idea the cost of them. But essentially the carrier doesn't matter, just the bluetooth connection

No, the latest Fitbit smartwatches are $200-$250. I had the Surge, which was discontinued in 2017. After that, they had the Blaze (also discontinued), the Ionic, and the Versa/Versa 2. The Ionic allows you to receive notifications from your phone, but you can’t make calls or reply to messages. The Versa (not sure about the Versa 2) had no SIM card and no cellular technology, but you could get call/email/SMS notifications.

https://www.ebay.com/p/28028249786?iid=193601992710

This one is unlocked, and brand new not a rebuild or refurb. Will work great.
The problem is I have to keep the budget close to their budget so as I'm not paying out of pocket. I might be able to swoon my supervisor into the idea though lol I'm willing to spend up to an additional $50 to have the convenience of still using a cell phone and not their "Fitbit" idea, but if their keeping it to $75 per person I'm limited (as I'm guessing everyone else will be based on @WedgeRock's pricing above)

Be aware this uses bb10 and is not an android phone so it has limited app support.
That's cool, I dont need many apps on a work phone. I can get by with just a music app and an email app (that's probably built in)

The problem is I have to keep the budget close to their budget so as I'm not paying out of pocket. I might be able to swoon my supervisor into the idea though lol I'm willing to spend up to an additional $50 to have the convenience of still using a cell phone and not their "Fitbit" idea, but if their keeping it to $75 per person I'm limited (as I'm guessing everyone else will be based on @WedgeRock's pricing above)
Ok let me try to explain this in a way a PCFer can understand ........ You do know that finding a phone that will work on American cellular networks for under $100 is like finding leaded Paulsons for 13 cents a chip, right?

Ok let me try to explain this in a way a PCFer can understand ........ You do know that finding a phone that will work on American cellular networks for under $100 is like finding leaded Paulsons for 13 cents a chip, right?
Yup, I get that. My company likes to think the world is peasants

Yup, I get that. My company likes to think the world is peasants
I don't know of any other way to say this so here goes ............ straight talk and their "Bring Your Own Phone" program uses LTE bands 2 and 5. While there are a few no camera smartphone options out there (almost all of them are from India) none of them are capable of using those bands. With 3G networks going down here in the US, none of these no camera smartphones will connect to Straight Talk. Sorry.

An old college buddy of mine was the head scientist for this baby, which is used inside the Pentagon and other highly secured areas, and they're certified for use in hazardous areas: The Impact X NC from Pixavi. It should do nicely for what you're needing. I think they're only B2B, But I'll make a call for ya and see if it can be sold individually.

An old college buddy of mine was the head scientist for this baby, which is used inside the Pentagon and other highly secured areas, and they're certified for use in hazardous areas: The Impact X NC from Pixavi. It should do nicely for what you're needing. I think they're only B2B, But I'll make a call for ya and see if it can be sold individually.
It's cellular connection is 3G. 3G networks are going down now that 5G networks are up and running. :tdown:

From what I've read, we're pretty far off from 5G being ubiquitous. Are they really shutting down 3G before 5G is widely available?
Yes. It isn't about 5G taking over, as much as older phones do not have VoLTE, and by taking down the 3G networks all those people without VoLTE will run to their carrier and buy new phones with new contracts.

@FordPickup92 is having no camera hardware mandatory? Would it be good enough to completely disable the camera software so pictures and video cannot be taken?

My brother interned at GM and every time he went in, he had to stop at security and have a "sticker" for lack of a better word, put over his camera. When he left, security would remove the sticker. If there was any tampering with the sticker, his phone would be confiscated. His options were to go through security and have his phone scrutinized, or leave his phone in the car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom