Can anyone recommend a phone with out a camera? (1 Viewer)

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Work is now requiring us to keep our phones locked up in cubbys during the day as they are working to get new job contracts from one of our outside companies. The outside company is requiring stricter security, and no camera phones or outside camera devices will be allowed in the shop. One of several changes the company is making (I'm not a fan). My options are a Fitbit, or purchasing a phone strictly for work, that has no camera.

Can anyone provide any suggestions or feedback on types of phones that do not come with cameras? Is this unobtanium in today's technological society?

Can you get a smart watch? I have the galaxy active 2 and I can make and receive calls from it when it's connected to my phone via Bluetooth. It may not be feasible if you have a big office and lose bluetooth range but you can also get 3g/4g capable watches and have all your calls forwarded to the watch. My old watch was like that and it only cost me an extra $5 a month for the service

If they’re locking down cameras, will they lock down Bluetooth? Something to consider before buying a phone.

I dont have a compatible phone carrier service. I'm also concerned that working with power tools and other equipment a watch could become a hazard if snagged on a tool or machine

I dont have a compatible phone carrier service. I'm also concerned that working with power tools and other equipment a watch could become a hazard if snagged on a tool or machine

Oof.

Side note:

Working in the Coast Guard, a friend lost a finger at the knuckle and I watched a second guy almost lose one as well due to wedding rings getting snagged.

Smart move on your part. I never wore any jewelry, not even a watch, when doing hazardous work.

BTW: answer to wedding rings: soft metal rings (gold) and microcuts. It was so drilled into me that I had to think long and hard about getting a hard metal wedding ring even though my days of dangerous work environments were over.

[Edit: hasn’t thought about that for a while, I do remember wearing a watch, but not when engaged in hazardous work.]

Last edited:
1598877622069.png

Oof.

Side note:

Working in the Coast Guard, a friend lost a finger at the knuckle and I watched a second guy almost lose one as well due to wedding rings getting snagged.

Smart move on your part. I never wore any jewelry, not even a watch, when on a ship.

BTW: answer to wedding rings: soft metal rings (gold) and microcuts. It was so drilled into me that I had to think long and hard about getting a hard metal wedding ring even though my days of dangerous work environments were over.
That's 100% my concern with the company suggesting fitbits or smart watches, I'm inclined to decline that option, whether they like it or not because of the hazard.

I dont wear any jewelry that's not covered, or small earrings. I also almost never leave hair ties in my wrist, I keep them on my truck key ring

I've found a possible compatible BlackBerry that has no camera on eBay, I just have to see what kind of service plan I can get for it, I'm hoping I can get a straight talk wireless (or similar service) from walmart applied to it, and whether or not I'll he having to pay the bill, and if so if they will give me access to the wifi (we currently are not able to use any wifi)

Places that would ban phones that have cameras but would let you have a bluetooth capable device need to go back and review their opsec policies...
Its strictly because the outside company does not want photos of any parts or items produced. Dont see how bluetooth affects that, I guess they dont either, hence why the bluetooth is still allowed

Additionally, I find the reasoning irrelevant, just the annoyance/inconvenience of having to comply

Why do you need a phone? Calls/texts during the day? Or internet access? Or both? For the same reason that you don't want a watch (safety), I imagine your phone wouldn't be out much while working. Is there a breakroom where camera phones are allowed?

The company will not allow camera phones, but they will allow smart watches? Are you talking smart devices with their own data plan? Or bluetooth enabled devices? If the latter, the range for bluetooth is limited. Where will your phone be while you are working?

Mostly internet access but also occasional calls/texts during work. It also depends upon the department I am in, when in the paint shop I can check my phone every half hour or so. When in the plating department, welding, or deburr not as much. They want phones locked in lockers during work hours, available access during break or lunch only, outside of the building. Essentially no camera device in the building, the lockers have been placed immediately inside the primary entrance. Essentially a smart watch does not have camera capabilities, is their arguement. I think they want bluetooth devices, because theres no way they're willing to pay for additional plans for everyone to have a shop device.

Just fyi - they're idiots/lazy and think throwing fitbits at everyone will solve the problem

Its strictly because the outside company does not want photos of any parts or items produced. Dont see how bluetooth affects that, I guess they dont either, hence why the bluetooth is still allowed

Additionally, I find the reasoning irrelevant, just the annoyance/inconvenience of having to comply
Makes sense to me. Products and production are the issue, not network data.

Not sure if this will work for your situation but Track Phone has a few $20 phones that do not have a camera. You would need to buy minutes and it would be an additional account and number. I guess it would depend on what your needs were.

Not sure if this will work for your situation but Track Phone has a few $20 phones that do not have a camera. You would need to buy minutes and it would be an additional account and number. I guess it would depend on what your needs were.
I am hoping that I can purchase a basic BlackBerry from eBay that has no camera and falls within their smartwatch budget offered to all employees, and just do a basic prepaid plan for it since I wouldnt need very many minutes/texts at work. I'm fairly confident I can get access to the wifi for emails and whatever else I need

You should sit down with your cellular provider and ask them. A Google search does turn up a few options for "no camera smartphone", but they are all 3G phones. Providers are currently working on shutting down their 3G networks. You don't want to spend money on this just for the phone to not work in a couple of months.

You should sit down with your cellular provider and ask them. A Google search does turn up a few options for "no camera smartphone", but they are all 3G phones. Providers are currently working on shutting down their 3G networks. You don't want to spend money on this just for the phone to not work in a couple of months.
I use a prepaid plan from my local walmart, with no contract. So I believe my next step is to research with them to clarify that I can add a prepaid plan to a phone purchased outside of their program

I use a prepaid plan from my local walmart, with no contract. So I believe my next step is to research with them to clarify that I can add a prepaid plan to a phone purchased outside of their program

If it has a sim card you just swap the sim into the other phone.

If they want to buy you the latest Fitbit, let them.

I don't think its going to solve the problem, but let them figure that out afterward while you enjoy your new watch...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom