Can anyone help me put a value on these. (1 Viewer)

Help me

Waiting List
Reaction score
Original poker chips from the 1920's Waldorf Club in Pismo Beach. I have 2 sets that come in original wooden boxes.
In December 1927, infamous Chicago mob boss Al Capone visited the Waldorf Club in Pismo Beach, which would later become Chele’s Cafe and now Fat Cats— to escape the prying eyes of federal law enforcement and play a little pool.

Hi, I have Original poker chips from the 1920's Waldorf Club in Pismo Beach. I have 2 sets that come in original wooden boxes.
In December 1927, infamous Chicago mob boss Al Capone visited the Waldorf Club in Pismo Beach, which would later become Chele’s Cafe and now Fat Cats— to escape the prying eyes of federal law enforcement and play a little pool. Has anyone ever seen these chips and would you know the value? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190611_082608.jpg
    20190611_082608.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 402
  • 20190611_082648.jpg
    20190611_082648.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 20190611_082935.jpg
    20190611_082935.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 394
  • 20190611_082519.jpg
    20190611_082519.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 335
That's a cool set, but there aren't enough fracs or $5s there to make them playable. Most of the value is in the yellows, which are worth about $3 per chip in this condition (mainly because they are yellow). The others are probably closer to $1.50 ea.

Also worth noting is that you'd certainly get considerably less money for them if you split up the yellow chips into two separate sets. Keeping them all together gets you a higher price.

Last edited:
That's a cool set, but there aren't enough fracs or $5s there to make them playable. Most of the value is in the yellows, which are worth about $3 per chip in this condition (mainly because they are yellow). The others are probably closer to $1.50 ea.

Also worth noting is that you'd certainly get considerably less money for them if you split up the yellow chips into two separate sets. Keeping them all together gets you a higher price.
Thank you for all of the great information.

I'd guess $1.50-$2.00 per chip or so.
Thank you.

They are currently listed for sale online for a buck a chip. Not sure if OP was looking to buy them or if that is his for sale ad, so I wont post a link.

A few thoughts -

1) There are two markets, home poker set and singles collectors. I think that the prices here are correct for the home poker set market.

2) I don’t recall this style of chip (small crown) being made in the 1920’s. Further, the 50c and $1 don’t match the $5. All in all I am suspect of the attribution to Al Capone.

3) The Pismo $5 is from pismo beach California. Please see the attached image from thechipguide.
62E75C14-57FD-472F-A7AA-252C590A7B41.png

All in all, I think that these are not from an al Capone joint, and I would agree with the idea that these are best used in the home poker chip market. If you can find the manufacturers records that tie them to Capone, they might be worth more.

John

TRK records indicate the PA chips were sent to the same fellow who took delivery of the PISMO chips - Jim Pecora. The PA chips were manufactured in 1961; the PISMO in 1967.
Thank you for that really helps a lot. Do you think that they have much value?

Do you think that they have much value?
Some California collectors might pay $7-$30 for one of the Pismo chips depending on condition since that originates from a verifiable Cali card room. To others that chip is probably less valuable since many singles collectors favor having the card room name and location printed distinctly on the chip. You're also likely to encounter diminishing returns if you attempt to sell that entire stack of Pismo $5's as singles, one by one. The first one will fetch the best price, but then each subsequent one will typically fetch less and less as buyers a) obtain the chips thus reducing demand, and b) realize that there's suddenly a stash of them found and avaialble, thus increasing known supply.

The PA chips were likely either in a home game or an illegal club. There are collectors who will seek out those chips, but most wouldn't value those particularly highly at all as singles. I believe the previously provided estimates of $3/chip for the yellows in quantity, and $1.50/chip for the oranges, are reasonable.

Funny seeing these here. I spoke to the buyer a couple days ago and already had the money in the mail for him!
I'm just trying to find out more about them. I will check my po box again today If your money is there then I will send them to you just like I said.

I'm just trying to find out more about them. I will check my po box again today If your money is there then I will send them to you just like I said.
I have sold a lot of stuff on Craigslist and so far everyone that wanted to send money to me before receiving the goods seemed to be just another craigslist scam

Some California collectors might pay $7-$30 for one of the Pismo chips depending on condition since that originates from a verifiable Cali card room. To others that chip is probably less valuable since many singles collectors favor having the card room name and location printed distinctly on the chip. You're also likely to encounter diminishing returns if you attempt to sell that entire stack of Pismo $5's as singles, one by one. The first one will fetch the best price, but then each subsequent one will typically fetch less and less as buyers a) obtain the chips thus reducing demand, and b) realize that there's suddenly a stash of them found and avaialble, thus increasing known supply.

The PA chips were likely either in a home game or an illegal club. There are collectors who will seek out those chips, but most wouldn't value those particularly highly at all as singles. I believe the previously provided estimates of $3/chip for the yellows in quantity, and $1.50/chip for the oranges, are reasonable.
Thank you.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to deal with this person in the future. I mailed cash to them for 200 chips and only received 100. They then relisted the remaining 100 that they have.

What are you talking about? My ad did not say that,The ad clearly said 2 sets available as seen in the photo. I sent you a full set and if you are not happy with the set that I sent you send it back and I will return your money. You sent me cash if I was a scammer I would of just kept your money.

It's unfortunate this scammer just got info to hurt a fellow PCFer. People like this probably stole them from his dad in the nursing home and trying to squeeze every nickel out of them to get his next fix.

It's unfortunate this scammer just got info to hurt a fellow PCFer. People like this probably stole them from his dad in the nursing home and trying to squeeze every nickel out of them to get his next fix.
Haha whatever troll.

What are you talking about? My ad did not say that,The ad clearly said 2 sets available as seen in the photo. I sent you a full set and if you are not happy with the set that I sent you send it back and I will return your money. You sent me cash if I was a scammer I would of just kept your money.

Do you have a link to the original ad?

Even this post says 2 sets with photos of 2 sets. I offered him his money back $1.00 a chip is more than fair.

I think that this is another case of misinterpretations ( what "a set" means for buyer/seller) and another example of transactions without a proper thread on the Poker Chip Forum Classifieds.
Just follow the rules.

Reactions: JWC

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom