Can anybody explain xbox pricing to me? (1 Viewer)

Great to hear!

I'd definitely recommend the Series X. The series S has been seriously neutered to get the price point lower - GPU, ram, and amount of storage. The amount of storage will quickly become an issue since you can't use physical media with the Series S. And the GPU and ram will be an issue once the true next gen games are released.
Exactly this. Not only is the S less powerful, it doesn't have a disc drive. Long-term, the X will run games better, for longer. It will also hold its resale value better, since even 5 years down the line, when the S becomes a brick after the system online store shuts down and you can't purchase or download Digital games (Sony anyone?), you'll still be able to load discs into the X, either natively or via some workaround someone will likely come up with.

Sony just announced, for example, that the store for PS3, PSVita, and PSP will be closing down later this year, just 4 years after they stopped manufacturing new PS3s in 2017, and just two years after the last brand new PSVita rolled off the assembly line in 2019. In theory, you can still redownload your old games after the store shuts, but who knows how long that will last. Hopefully by then all relevant systems will be hacked so we can still download old games from third-party sources.

All-digital consoles, reliant for basic functionality on some else's data storage servers, just seem like a terrible idea. Maybe I'm just getting old. Nevertheless, judging by the resale value of old NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, etc. consoles, being able to play with your children or grandchildren on X discs may one day be a real thing, while the S will likely require much more effort to continue functioning.

to counter a few people in here. i have 2 of the series s in my house and love them both. my tvs are 1080p and i dont notice much from 4k on the main tv. i use an external for more storage and im all digital. its easier and gamepass is great. maybe when the price comes down ill buy an x but i really dont notice much between mine and my friends x they both load games the same. and if i ever notice something down the road ill sell some poker chips to get an x (kidding)

I returned the series S a couple of weeks ago, and continued to endure these continual alerts of geek tweets, every time a stupid game went on sale.
FINALLY, yesterday I scored a series X, and just in time, because I was about to go mad. Finally I can kill all these alerts.
But thanks again, @TheDuke , this worked!

I returned the series S a couple of weeks ago, and continued to endure these continual alerts of geek tweets, every time a stupid game went on sale.
FINALLY, yesterday I scored a series X, and just in time, because I was about to go mad. Finally I can kill all these alerts.
But thanks again, @TheDuke , this worked!

Haha - ya, those alerts become very grating!

Congrats on finally nabbing a series X!

I have an Xbox one and I have preferred consoles up until now. Also have a PS4 (not turned on in years). The 4K trend did not entice me to upgrade from my 1080p 70" Sony. Like others have said above I see no reason to "upgrade" my console to a new console that can do the same things as my old console but slightly faster. I have stopped looking at new consoles as I believe they will be eclipsed fast. Especially with new virtual reality and blending of computer/console gaming. A high end PC will play most everything and the controllers can be ported over for use on the PC as well. What I would really like is a way for my PC to stream "seamlessly without lag or visual degradation" to my big tv in the next room. So far this does not work well on high end games. My pending solution is ~80 to 100ft of HDMI cable that will just obnoxiously travel along the wall from my office out and along into the family room....

If you have only so many dollars and will need a computer in the next few years anyway I'd suggest one of those Alienware Beasts. They have some mid-line loaded models available in the ~1200-2000 range that really compared to the price of a console today and the additional versatility of a desktop and other gaming services such as Steam, etc.... I'd recommend looking into a computer instead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom