Can anybody explain xbox pricing to me? (1 Viewer)

They don't make the Xbox One anymore, and the replacement (Xbox Series X/S) is in very short supply and nearly impossible to find.

So pricing for the Xbox One has also gone through the roof. It'll come back down once the Series is more readily available, but that could be a few more months.

They don't make the Xbox One anymore, and the replacement (Xbox Series X/S) is in very short supply and nearly impossible to find.

So pricing for the Xbox One has also gone through the roof. It'll come back down once the Series is more readily available, but that could be a few more months.
So if my daughter wants an xbox for her dorm room in september, do I grab an S now, or wait?

Don't get a series S. It sucks. It's neutered. And will suck bigly in a couple of years. Stick with the Series X.

There's no real advantage to waiting a few months. Get one if you can grab one at retail. It'll be a couple years for revisions/price drops.

Follow Twitter bots for availability. It's relatively easy to get an Xbox these days in comparison to a PS5.

There is ALWAYS a chip shortage.

There has been a GPU shortage for 10 years.

It isn't anything new.

I found a reasonable deal for a Series X on Facebook Marketplace. Still about $100 over retail but substantially better than the prices sellers were asking on eBay.

Don't get a series S. It sucks. It's neutered. And will suck bigly in a couple of years. Stick with the Series X.

There's no real advantage to waiting a few months. Get one if you can grab one at retail. It'll be a couple years for revisions/price drops.

Follow Twitter bots for availability. It's relatively easy to get an Xbox these days in comparison to a PS5.
I don't know any bots.
Is there a primer somewhere?

The chip shortage is a real pain, especially coupled with NVidia's utter incompetence with the new card releases. I wanted a 3090 on release day, tried to get one for a couple months, and still they're completely unavailable, and sold out instantly online by botting scalpers who resell on eBay for rediculous prices. Given that's it's now been almost SEVEN MONTHS since release and they're still completely unavailable and overpriced, I'm thinking now Ill wait to replace my decade-old desktop for yet *another* release cycle and hope either the next release cycle goes better or AMD (whose cards are much more available) releases an equivalent soon.

Follow @Wario64 and @GYXDeals.

Turn notifications on for both. Anytime a retailer (Gamestop, Walmart, Bestbuy, Costco, etc) has a stock drop you'll get a notification.

You should have accounts set up for all, be logged in, and have payment info already saved.

As soon as you get a notification, hit the link in the tweet, add to cart, go to cart and check out.

It shouldn't take too long before you get one. A week or two? Haven't followed the situation lately but inventory levels ramped up considerably after the Christmas season.

Turn notifications on for both. Anytime a retailer (Gamestop, Walmart, Bestbuy, Costco, etc) has a stock drop you'll get a notification.

You should have accounts set up for all, be logged in, and have payment info already saved.

As soon as you get a notification, hit the link in the tweet, add to cart, go to cart and check out.

It shouldn't take too long before you get one. A week or two? Haven't followed the situation lately but inventory levels ramped up considerably after the Christmas season.
This will work, but it's a lot of effort.

I'm optimistic that they'll get on track in the next 3-6 months, but I'm no expert and also in no rush because I have a perfectly good One X. YMMV.

This will work, but it's a lot of effort.

I'm optimistic that they'll get on track in the next 3-6 months, but I'm no expert and also in no rush because I have a perfectly good One X. YMMV.

It takes 5-10 min to set up the accounts or no time if you already have an account at these retailers (which most of us already have). You just need to have their apps on your phone and ensure you're logged in. Check your phone when you're notified and 5 seconds to add to cart and check out.

If that's considered alot of effort than paying a scalper the $100-$200 extra is worth it. But damn - tapping a few links on an electronic device to have goods shipped direct to your door is not something I would consider alot of effort. Lol.

Xbox has done a horrible job at distinguishing their consoles
one-is the current/old one
X/S-is the new version that is the same as the old version but with higher end hardware and ability to project at 4k on TV's.

It seems to be more of a hardware upgrade than a total conversion like past generations. Very Confusing...... If you have an Xbox One i'd suggest holding off for a while and looking at one of the VR systems instead.

Xbox has done a horrible job at distinguishing their consoles
one-is the current/old one
X/S-is the new version that is the same as the old version but with higher end hardware and ability to project at 4k on TV's.

It seems to be more of a hardware upgrade than a total conversion like past generations. Very Confusing...... If you have an Xbox One i'd suggest holding off for a while and looking at one of the VR systems instead.
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not looking for video game advice. I don't care at all for the stuff. Just getting an xbox for my daughter.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not looking for video game advice. I don't care at all for the stuff. Just getting an xbox for my daughter.

thats the advice I am offering.....
I have a 9yo that has an uncomfortable obsession with "Minecraft".

the Standard Xbox One should be under 300 and used under 250 (Can$). I am not sure how old your daughter is but Xbox offers a service where is ~$16/month for online play and a large portfolio of games. I don't buy any extra just the annual account and My daughter has access to a few hundred titles now.

It takes 5-10 min to set up the accounts or no time if you already have an account at these retailers (which most of us already have). You just need to have their apps on your phone and ensure you're logged in. Check your phone when you're notified and 5 seconds to add to cart and check out.

If that's considered alot of effort than paying a scalper the $100-$200 extra is worth it. But damn - tapping a few links on an electronic device to have goods shipped direct to your door is not something I would consider alot of effort. Lol.
On my brief venture into this area, it was suggested that I check drop accounts constantly, then get in place, logged in and waiting each scheduled drop because they would sell out in seconds. Rinse and repeat multiple times a week, and it's not worth my time when I already own the last gen.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe others may disagree, which is why I said YMMV.

Its expensive because its full of crazy good hardware. I am no console gamer, but I must tip my cap to the hardware they are sporting in this console. You could not build a PC with this level of hardware for $600. I didn't believe this last statement until i tried, not gonna happen. They may be taking a loss on the hardware. I hate consoles, and have been playing on PC's my entire life, so I'm no xbox fanboy for sure. This xbox X is remarkable, I will never get it because I don't like playing console games but it is sweet.

1618270186266.png

There’s notification bots on Twitter and Discord, and then there’s purchasing bots.
The purchasing bots are set up to nab the hardware the instant it hits, and is rampant on Amazon.

I have notification bots for Nvidia cards and the second it dings, I’m on Amazon ready to buy. Sold out. By the time you’re notified, the purchasing bots have them all, to scalp at 2x-4x the price.

BestBuy is no easier. They get stock every week or so, and if you’re not there during the 2 minutes that that they drop, with every item open in a different window, it won’t happen. Oh, and you need to check out in under 5 seconds.

Makes the ChipRoom sales look like an all-day shopping spree.

On my brief venture into this area, it was suggested that I check drop accounts constantly, then get in place, logged in and waiting each scheduled drop because they would sell out in seconds. Rinse and repeat multiple times a week, and it's not worth my time when I already own the last gen.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe others may disagree, which is why I said YMMV.
Oh yeah - those announced drops (day or 2 in advance) are a mess. Thousands of people scrambling for a handful of units.

The easiest ones are the ones without any notice. Best bet for OP are Microsoft drops. Unannounced and usually done in waves. In Canada, the Series X would be available for several minutes to hours. And Series S available for days after drop. And that was a couple of months ago.

I’m still running an OG PS3 although I did swap out the 60GB spinner for a 250GB SSD about 4 years ago..... :cool
I just got an email from Sony stating that the PS Store would be closed for PS3 platforms soon......
Oh well, good luck on the new hunt! :tup:

What are you looking to get? If you're looking for an Xbox One S, I have a brand new one that I'll sell you. The box was opened once to use the controller once but the Xbox itself has never left the box. $250 plus shipping.

There’s notification bots on Twitter and Discord, and then there’s purchasing bots.
The purchasing bots are set up to nab the hardware the instant it hits, and is rampant on Amazon.

I have notification bots for Nvidia cards and the second it dings, I’m on Amazon ready to buy. Sold out. By the time you’re notified, the purchasing bots have them all, to scalp at 2x-4x the price.

BestBuy is no easier. They get stock every week or so, and if you’re not there during the 2 minutes that that they drop, with every item open in a different window, it won’t happen. Oh, and you need to check out in under 5 seconds.

Makes the ChipRoom sales look like an all-day shopping spree.
This is what happened to me. Even with the bots, and hearing the ping go off, I'm there and it's gone. Never even been able to actually add one to my cart, even with the audio warning from the monitoring sites. I finally gave up on it last month. I'm sure in 4 months AMD will have one just as good, and the cycle will likely begin anew in 6-8 months anyway. Maybe I'll have better luck then. Plus, I want to watercool my card, so I need to take an extra 5 minutes to make sure whichever one I'm buying has a waterblock available for it. Which means it'd DEFINITELY be gone.

Wow, that worked. I just scored a One S at walmart.com. Easy. But now I'm thinking I might want to hold out for an X and return this one.

What are you looking to get? If you're looking for an Xbox One S, I have a brand new one that I'll sell you. The box was opened once to use the controller once but the Xbox itself has never left the box. $250 plus shipping.
Thanks anyway, but it looks like I'm good.

Wow, that worked. I just scored a One S at walmart.com. Easy. But now I'm thinking I might want to hold out for an X and return this one.
Great to hear, and thanks to @TheDuke for the info. Sounds like it was much easier than I believed - I may have to try this way myself!

Great to hear!

I'd definitely recommend the Series X. The series S has been seriously neutered to get the price point lower - GPU, ram, and amount of storage. The amount of storage will quickly become an issue since you can't use physical media with the Series S. And the GPU and ram will be an issue once the true next gen games are released.

Great to hear!

I'd definitely recommend the Series X. The series S has been seriously neutered to get the price point lower - GPU, ram, and amount of storage. The amount of storage will quickly become an issue since you can't use physical media with the Series S. And the GPU and ram will be an issue once the true next gen games are released.
Yeah I think I’m sold on the X. And since we already have an S, it kinda makes sense to get an X. But I figured it would be so easy to return it to Walmart, it couldn’t hurt to grab one for now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom