Buy-in/reload amount questions (2 Viewers)

isthisevencreative

High Hand
Reaction score
I’m super super new to playing poker. If I loose all my buy in money during a cash game and I want to keep playing is it called a reload? Also what is the typical maximum reload for a buy in that’s $20 minimum? Don’t people usually make it like a max of 50 if minimim is 20? And If I loose all my buy in how much usually is the reload and can you reload as many times as you like? Just trying to figure all the gameplay out before actually getting a game going I have several friends interested and I’m debating on putting one together soon! Hoping someone can explain everything to me I’m confused, Thanks!

I’m super super new to playing poker. If I loose all my buy in money during a cash game and I want to keep playing is it called a reload? Also what is the typical maximum reload for a buy in that’s $20 minimum? Don’t people usually make it like a max of 50 if minimim is 20? And If I loose all my buy in how much usually is the reload and can you reload as many times as you like? Just trying to figure all the gameplay out before actually getting a game going I have several friends interested and I’m debating on putting one together soon! Hoping someone can explain everything to me I’m confused, Thanks!
This is allllll game dependent. Call it rebuy, reload, take my money. Whatever you'd like. If you want, say only 2 rebuys, but most games do not.

If you're just starting, make it $5 min $20 max. Blind bets are 5cent/10cent, this lets you play for a while, learning the game. Chips can be 5c/25c/$1 and $5 if you need them; this lets people come and go, and cash out when needed or add more money on.

This is all a cash game. If you want to play tournament style? Everyone throws in some money and it gets divided up by who wins. Rebuys get same amount of chips from the beginning, usually you stop rebuys at some time after the start.

This is allllll game dependent. Call it rebuy, reload, take my money. Whatever you'd like. If you want, say only 2 rebuys, but most games do not.

If you're just starting, make it $5 min $20 max. Blind bets are 5cent/10cent, this lets you play for a while, learning the game. Chips can be 5c/25c/$1 and $5 if you need them; this lets people come and go, and cash out when needed or add more money on.

This is all a cash game. If you want to play tournament style? Everyone throws in some money and it gets divided up by who wins. Rebuys get same amount of chips from the beginning, usually you stop rebuys at some time after the start.

Typically re buys are same amount as the minimum/maximum buy ins?

If I loose all my buy in money during a cash game and I want to keep playing is it called a reload?
Or rebuy.
Also what is the typical maximum reload for a buy in that’s $20 minimum?
You can reload according to the same rules as the initial buy in. If it's e.g. min 10 and max 50, that applies to reloads as well. Also if you are down to 35, you can top-up 15 more.

There are games that have more complicated rules, but the above are the simplest.

can you reload as many times as you like?
Yes.

In short: The simplest approach is to have a rule that you can buy in to (not for) between X and Y dollars.

Thank you if i had around 10 people how many chips would I need? What denominations you recommend

Thank you if i had around 10 people how many chips would I need? What denominations you recommend
Very different answers. How much do you want to gamble? Are you going to grow and gamble more? What kinda chips do you want, whats your budget?

Check out the thread below, it walks you through what you should be thinking about and what breakdowns you want. Pump the brakes for a while until you know what you want.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/new-members-start-here.85303/

So yes, I would try and get a handle on how much your players are willing to lose in a night for the sake of "entertainment." Divide that number by 300, that's what the big blind should be. If $60 is their limit, then 0.20 or so should be the BB. If it's really only $30, then 0.10 should be the BB. Once you figure out the BB, then figure out the min and max buy in. I think 20x BB is a good minimum for NL play, 100x-200x is a good maximum depending on if the players enjoy deeper play or more all in situations.

So you could do 0.05-0.10 blinds, $2 minimum, $20 maximum.

Players buying chips (whether starting from zero, or adding to an existing stack) must remain below the table maximum. The only players with stacks above the maximum should be those that have won chips. Those players cannot buy more.

Rules that involve the maximum.
*Most chips a player can buy when starting from zero
*Players that have won chips above this limit cannot add chips (see my additional rule below that you may also want to apply)

Rules that involve the minimum
*Everyone's first buy in must be at least of this amount. (I make an exception that one later buy-in may be below the minimum. If a guy wants to play the last $1.50 in his pocket one time after getting felted, I'm not going to send him to the ATM. But I won't let him do it again without a full minimum on the next buy in.)
*Special rule in my game, any player with chips wishing to add on must add on at least this amount. (Meaning in this example, players with more than $18 cannot add on as $2 puts them over the maximum above.)

Now if this is your game I would suggest getting a nickel-quarter-dollar set for denominations. 50-60 chips per player is my preference for NL play, but it's surely possible to get buy with some less.

So a 600 chip set of 100/300/160/40 of 5¢ / 25¢ / 1 / 5 is probably good for the example game. I would have mostly quarters in play, but just enough nickels to make blinds. You can then make 10 buy ins of $20 with something like 10/30/12 of 5¢ / 25¢ / 1. Any rebuys/add-ons can be done using the leftover singles and fives.

So yes, I would try and get a handle on how much your players are willing to lose in a night for the sake of "entertainment." Divide that number by 300, that's what the big blind should be. If $60 is their limit, then 0.20 or so should be the BB. If it's really only $30, then 0.10 should be the BB. Once you figure out the BB, then figure out the min and max buy in. I think 20x BB is a good minimum for NL play, 100x-200x is a good maximum depending on if the players enjoy deeper play or more all in situations.

Players buying chips (whether starting from zero, or adding to an existing stack) must remain below the table maximum. The only players with stacks above the maximum should be those that have won chips. Those players cannot buy more.

Rules that involve the maximum.
*Most chips a player can buy when starting from zero
*Players that have won chips above this limit cannot add chips (see my additional rule below that you may also want to apply)

*Everyone's first buy in must be at least of this amount. (I make an exception that one later buy-in may be below the minimum. If a guy wants to play the last $1.50 in his pocket one time after getting felted, I'm not going to send him to the ATM. But I won't let him do it again without a full minimum on the next buy in.)
*Special rule in my game, any player with chips wishing to add on must add on at least this amount. (Meaning in this example, players with more than $18 cannot add on as $2 puts them over the maximum above.)

Now if this is your game I would suggest getting a nickel-quarter-dollar set for denominations. 50-60 chips per player is my preference for NL play, but it's surely possible to get buy with some less.

So a 600 chip set of 100/300/160/40 of 5¢ / 25¢ / 1 / 5 is probably good for the example game. I would have mostly quarters in play, but just enough nickels to make blinds. You can then make 10 buy ins of $20 with something like 10/30/12 of 5¢ / 25¢ / 1. Any rebuys/add-ons can be done using the leftover singles and fives.
Thank you so much this helps tremendously! I’m going to be playing with about 8 other people and we all are very new so I’m thinking I’d playing .5/.10 then with a minimum $20 buy in and max 40 big issue I’ve ran into is I can’t find many .5 chips most of them start at .25 and I was planning on doing .5/.25/1/5 for the denominations maybe 100/200/200/100/50 for the amount of chips. What’s your opinion? Im not sure how long and how much money would be involved I’d we did .25/.50 blinds but im thinking we all wouldn’t care to loose about $40 max just starting out

If a guy wants to play the last $1.50 in his pocket one time after getting felted, I'm not going to send him to the ATM. But I won't let him do it again without a full minimum on the next buy in.

So a 600 chip set of 100/300/160/40 of 5¢ / 25¢ / 1 / 5 is probably good for the example game. I would have mostly quarters in play, but just enough nickels to make blinds.
Great post, I would comment on these items

2 min is too low, I would say a $5 min

1 short re-buy is fine given they have at least one min buyin, but as Justin mentioned, just 1

I would forego the special rule for now, revisit it if anyone complains about re-buys

the break down isn't bad at all, I would only put about 60 nickels in play, at lot of quarters and 1s.

I would also echo NotRealName's recommendation of checking out New Members Start here post.

Thank you so much this helps tremendously! I’m going to be playing with about 8 other people and we all are very new so I’m thinking I’d playing .5/.10
Thank you so much for the kind words. I think this is a good place to start.

big issue I’ve ran into is I can’t find many .5 chips most of them start at .25
That is the big issue. Stock nickels are almost unheard of anymore. I do see these Monte Carlo 14g chips include a nickel.

https://www.thepokerstore.com/collections/monte-carlo-smooth-14-gram-poker-chips

Not sure what your chip budget is just yet. Most PCF users would consider these entry level plastics. (Mainly ABS plastic, think legos.) there are other plastics available for less, but none have nickels. Often you can get blanks that go along with a set and think about your own labels, or just leaving them blank knowing they stand for nickels. Heck you could probably go get a couple rolls of nickels from the bank failing everything else.

What’s your opinion? Im not sure how long and how much money would be involved I’d we did .25/.50 blinds but im thinking we all wouldn’t care to loose about $40 max just starting out
I wouldn't do 0.25-0.50 unless players are comfortable losing $100-$150 in an unlucky session. 0.25-0.25 might be a decent middle ground (the BB must be SB x2 may be a common practice, but not a rule written in stone.) But still, a few players will probably take losses of $70-$80 in a night so still higher than what you seem to think the group could take.

with a minimum $20 buy in and max 40
If 40 is the most you're players are willing to lose, then the max buy-in should most certainly be some number less than half of 40. You don't want to cultivate a culture of one buy-in and done with cash games, or they won't last more than a couple hours. I think if that's where your players are the max buy in should no more than 15-20, and 5¢ - 10¢ blinds are exactly where you should be.

2 min is too low, I would say a $5 min
For a 10¢ BB I think $2 is a reasonable minimum. We are talking micros after all. The most common stake I host is 50¢ - 50¢ blinds with a 60 max buy in. (Most of my players go 2-3 buy ins a night if needed.) I do a minimum of 10 (which is 20x BB, 20*10¢ is $2).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom