Bummer of a day (3 Viewers)

Reaction score
My wife brought home a dog that was surrendered at a clinic in Arizona. The people that surrender her had her for 15 years. She was old, blind in one eye and partially blind in the other, and her back legs were getting weaker by the day. The way my wife made it sound was that we’d foster this old girl for a bit cause she’d probably die within a few weeks and we just wanted to give her a good easy life, for however short it may be.
This old girl was a working dog down in the 4 corners region, brought back from the reservation (rez dogs). Rez dogs are a huge issue down in SE Utah and the 4 corners region. They’re usually working dogs that stay outside for most of their lives and act as herders or protectors for families. We do what we can to help out with the growing population by fostering or transporting dogs to other fosters, and my wife volunteers at the spay and neuter clinics.
About a week ago we had to make the decision on what we should do. I mean this dog was 15, she wasn’t going to get any younger. The trouble is, you see an older dog on a good day and think that somehow they’re gonna get better, younger, and live awhile longer. The shitty part is, that’s not how it goes. Usually you end up waiting it out cause you don’t want to make that tough decision, and then when you finally take them to the vet, you’re wishing you did it long before then, so they didn’t have to suffer until this point. Today we took Martha Stewart (her name was Norma but I thought she looked more like a Martha Stewart aka Marty Stew aka Marty aka Smarty) to the vet to put her to rest. She stayed with us for quite a lot longer than those few weeks my wife thought she would’ve lived for, and I’m glad. I love dogs, and I think everyone should give it a chance and try to adopt or rescue if they can. But no matter what, when a day like today comes, it just sucks. So go tell them again how they’re such a good boy or girl. Make sure they know it.
B11B54EE-B049-4FFE-8972-A77601D9B17C.jpeg

43E0C4FC-2252-4483-94B5-B0975CDB6CD0.jpeg

FD49F73B-B49F-4AE2-B406-A0ED136B6A69.jpeg

Love that you do this, the opportunity for everyone, and Martha’s cuteness. But sad at having to put her down.

You and your wife are good people....REALLY good people.

Thank you for being kind to an old girl that would have otherwise not had the best last few weeks/months of her life!!!

You and your wife are good people....REALLY good people.

Thank you for being kind to an old girl that would have otherwise not had the best last few weeks/months of her life!!!
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it

So tough to lose a friend.
Comfort in knowing she’s at peace.
Tough for sure. I’m glad she’s at peace now. It was a “should we do this now while she’s in rough shape, or make her suffer more and do it when she’s in absolutely terrible shape?” And it’s tough making that call. For me at least

Very sorry for your loss. It's always tough to lose a loved one. Sounds like she really became a part of your family in that short time.
I have a good friend that adopted a near blind, near deaf dog with other health issues from the pound that has outlived her expected time so I really appreciate what you and your wife do.

Very sorry for your loss. It's always tough to lose a loved one. Sounds like she really became a part of your family in that short time.
I have a good friend that adopted a near blind, near deaf dog with other health issues from the pound that has outlived her expected time so I really appreciate what you and your wife do.
Thank you. And thanks for the kind words. It bums me out that some people don’t want their dogs anymore once they become old or have issues. I’m glad your buddy adopted though. I’m sure he wouldn’t give that dog up for anything while he had it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom