Building a Poker Table (1 Viewer)

I did the above with my tables and did not screw down the rail. Make sure you don’t wrap the foam underneath- or the rail will have a bit of wobble. Once players are leaning, it’s fine - but on a light table we get a card slide under every now and then.

I did the above with my tables and did not screw down the rail. Make sure you don’t wrap the foam underneath- or the rail will have a bit of wobble. Once players are leaning, it’s fine - but on a light table we get a card slide under every now and then.
I feel like that right there makes the argument for the T nuts and securing the rail. What's the advantage of having two pieces? just that its lighter to move around? Not trying to crap all over not fastening down the rail, just curious.

I feel like that right there makes the argument for the T nuts and securing the rail. What's the advantage of having two pieces? just that its lighter to move around? Not trying to crap all over not fastening down the rail, just curious.

Having the rail be easily removable makes maintenance easier (refelting, etc). I’ve never removed the rail on my standard tables to facilitate moving them.

Ok, so I think we’ve covered how to fasten the pieces of wood together. Have you given thought to how you’re going to cut the pieces? And by that I mean what type of sawing method?

You have options generally between a jigsaw and a router. I’d highly recommend the router. It will leave much cleaner and uniform cuts, and build in a nice space between the pieces that allows for upholstery and some wiggle when trying to get holes to Line up. Cutting an arc with a jigsaw is an ugly proposition, even for experts.

Make arc cuts by using a circle cutting jig. And notice the gap between the cut pieces. It’s perfect for allowing upholstery fabrics (vinyl and speed felt).

87E83724-B300-4042-9143-3E989C6EADDD.jpeg

B8859F8F-78AA-4AF5-B54A-EADBC6421583.jpeg

Last edited:
For me it's storage and portability. Also I couldn't get slide in cup holders under the rail when it was secured. I don't keep my tables up 24/7. My poker room isy office, it's way easier to store the tables with removable rails.

It is much simpler and less expensive to build, and unless you are constructing a raised rail or in-rail cupholders, there is really no need to fasten it down.

A side benefit is that it easily accommodates slide-under cupholders placed anywhere around the entire circumference of the table, plus the individual components are lighter and easier to move around and store.

Cards being dealt underneath the rail happens very infrequently; maybe once every 9 or 10 games... and are easy to retreive, since the rail just lifts up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom